Cameras forum

General discussion

Nikon D200 vs D70s vs Canon D350 (Rebel XT)

by rgarcia49 / July 3, 2006 8:44 AM PDT

Looking for recommendation on which of these three highly rated cameras I should select.

I am an amateur photographer and have done some journo work for a travel magazine in South Africa (newsprint) where pix were reprinted to 4" x 5.5". Most of work features cultural ceremonies and personal portraits (indoor low light and outdoor high contrast light). Not much landscape.

Questions:
1) Do I need more than 6 megapixels?
2) D200 has room to grow into, but I feel that money may be better spent on lenses for one of other cameras.

Thanks for your insight.
Michael

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon D200 vs D70s vs Canon D350 (Rebel XT)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon D200 vs D70s vs Canon D350 (Rebel XT)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nikons and Canon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 3, 2006 12:32 PM PDT

1) Six megapixels will provide excellent photos up to 8 x 10 inches. And very good photos of even larger sizes.

More megapixels are helpful if you do a lot of cropping.

Many of the pros are still using the 4 megapixel full frame DSLR cameras.

2) I think you are correct in selecting something less expensive than the D200 and using the money you save on lens costs.

You should get your hands on the Nikon D70 or the D50 and the Canon 350D and see which feels right for you.
People usually have a preference for one or the other just by handling the cameras.

And never ask, "which is better - Nikon or Canon".
That will only refuel the argument that has been going on for well over 50 years.

Collapse -
Nikons and Canon
by Geekapoo / July 4, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Nikons and Canon

Snapshot2's wisdom has not ceased to amaze me. I just finished buying a P+S (Casio Z850) and am now looking for an upgrade for my Canon G3. The Nikon 70s is attractive because I would then have Nikon lenses to choose from. The Canon is attractive because it is 8MP (and I crop a bit). I know from all the work I did to buy the P+S that the best way to sort out the camera for you is to get it in your hands and play around with it. You may not like the feel of a particular one or the menu system. Also, dig through the sites (like cnet and dpreview) where owners comment on their cameras. Let me know what you find out and I'll do the same..

Geekapoo

Collapse -
wirthwhile web sites to check out (besides the obvious ones)
by Geekapoo / July 4, 2006 1:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks/ More Discovery
by rgarcia49 / July 4, 2006 8:18 AM PDT

Thanks for your insight and guidance. I will also check out these sites... From the reading I have done, it seems the market breaks into two lower tiers for dSLRs...1) the D70s and Rebel XT/350D or 2) The D200 (nikon) and 30D. Someone recommended a look at the 20D as pricing is about same as level one. Will do.

I guess the main issues/talkingt points I am finding are differences between the systems (CMOS for Canon and CCD for Nikon) processing systems (Digic II for Canon) and the lens quality.

Any strong feelings on winner of these three areas?

Collapse -
You might want to look at the Canon 20D. I think it is now
by Kiddpeat / July 4, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

priced in Rebel territory with the introduction of the 30D, and does retain some features that the Rebel lacks.

Collapse -
D200 vs Canon
by oaklandguy / August 7, 2006 4:16 PM PDT

A couple of things to consider:

The D200, and D70 are much better built than the Rebel series - I have not used the EOS 20D or 30D.

The Canon's appear to have better per pixel resolution - and slightly lower nosie at high ISO - see the excellent reviews and comparison photos at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.