Cameras forum

General discussion

Nikon 4600 Coolpix - Won't power up

by mcrhodeszz / February 17, 2007 9:57 AM PST

All of the sudden the camera won't power up. I've tried new and old batteries. It's like it doesn't realize there are batteries in the camera.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon 4600 Coolpix - Won't power up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon 4600 Coolpix - Won't power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the doors
by BowerR64 / February 17, 2007 6:23 PM PST

Most cameras have these little switches on the battery door and memory door. If the doors arnt closed fully these switches arnt depressed fully and it keeps the camera from powering up.

Sometimes and impact can alter the shape of the camera so the doors arnt square with the camera frame and this can cause a problem.

Look closly as the doors and see if you can see any little openings where a tab may push into the camera and depress a switch. Maybe pushing on the door in this area when its closed will get it to function. Canon has one on the memory door and battery door so if these 2 are opened when power is on it safly shuts the unit down so data doesnt get corrupt.

Collapse -
Same problem
by donsmi / March 1, 2007 9:37 PM PST

I have a Nikon Coolpix L6 with the same problem. I have already returned and gotten another camera. Now the second camera won't power up either. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse -
Power Problem
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I have not seen the type complaint you mention.

But....

There are complaints about the power switch being too sensitive;
letting the camera turn-on in the camera bag.

Apparently you do not have to hold down the power switch for a few seconds before it turns-on. Touch the button and boom....the camera is on.
And the button apparently is not below the surface of the camera (as on many cameras) and it sticks up a bit. Making it easy to accidentally turn-on.

I wonder if that is the real problem you are encountering.

Perhaps the camera is turning-on when not in use and draining the batteries.

For a test....I suggest you buy new alkaline AA batteries and try them in the camera.

If the camera works with the new alkaline batteries, the power switch is likely the culprit.

If that works, do not put the camera in a bag.
Set it on table where it will not be disturbed and see if it continues to work.

Collapse -
Fixed??
by donsmi / March 3, 2007 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Power Problem

I think that the sensitive power button may have been the problem. I have put new batteries in and left the camera on the counter (not in case) and so far, so good! Thanks!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 3, 2007 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Fixed??

Looks like you have found the cause.

Now....how to keep it from doing the same thing every time you put it in the case.

One person suggested putting a guard around the button and securing it with two sided tape.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.