Android forum

Nexus 10, 7, asus 700 or...Ipad Mini? :/

by RabTechy / December 6, 2012 2:36 AM PST

Hi everyone

Been doing unrelenting research on what tablet to purchase by Christmas and it's just leading me round in circles. Review after review, youtube video after youtube vdieo and still have not made a definitive decision. At the moment, I am thinking "Nexus", it seems to have all the main features that I want (Hdmi connectivity, stereo speakers, good gaming tablet, hi res, micro usb) Unfortunately 2 things wrong with that....1) Unavailable in Ireland till god knows when, and 2) some reviews have said it's not all its hyped up to be.

Anyway, also looking at the asus 700, the nexus 7 (strong possibility) and...well....the ipad mini? Any advice from anyone with knowledge on any of these. God knows, you will have more knowledge than I do.

Would greatly appreciate some advice

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nexus 10, 7, asus 700 or...Ipad Mini? :/
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nexus 10, 7, asus 700 or...Ipad Mini? :/
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I have a few on my desk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 2:42 AM PST

Because of a fortunate job with porting our apps to Android I have the Nexus 7, Asus Transformer, Kindle Fire HD and a few others.

The Nexus 7 does not have HDMI of any kind so that knocked that one off your list. But it is a FINE tablet.

I have the Asus TF300T Transformer but it fails your micro usb requirement. It also has one speaker.

Where did you read the Nexus 7 had HDMI?

And about gaming. It's tablet gaming, nothing like a PC so be sure you are into that.

Collapse -
by RabTechy / December 6, 2012 4:01 AM PST

Sorry, I perhaps didn't clarify properly when I said I was thinking "nexus" I meant the 10 which has all the specs I am looking for. It doesn't seem like it will be available for a while though so I am looking for the..2nd best option. 7 looks great, it has every other thing that I want but HDMI....i could just wait for the 10 but....I definitely don't the patience. The search for my perfect tablet continues....

Collapse -
The TF300T comes close enough for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: Cheers

The price was right (I got mine from with the keyboard dock giving me 14 hours on a charge. As to stereo I have the headphone jack which is stereo.

It's display is an IPS so top notch. My only quibble is the charging cable is one of a kind.

--> To top that I'm looking at laptops.

Collapse -
by RabTechy / December 6, 2012 4:40 AM PST

Damn, now I'm even more confused Happy I was looking at the 300T and then of course I over indulged in reviews that said just wait for the 700. Is the 700 much more of update on the 300T?? I guess for the price the 300 might just be a better deal. Cheers mate...

Collapse -
Screen on 300?
by RabTechy / December 6, 2012 10:27 AM PST

Also, have heard some bad reports. How do you find the strength of the screen on the 300? I usually look after my technology but would hate to think it would have a flimsy breakable screen.

Collapse -
Sorry but I don't intend to twist or test that strength.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Screen on 300?

I've heard very odd reports about the Nexus screen but I have a dozen android tablets and my thought and I apologize if I offend someone is that folk are dropping the units then writing the units are flimsy.

The 300 I have lives in it's keyboard dock and as I open it up I see no flex at all.

-> Did you go and test drive this unit? It might be best if you do that.

---> Be aware that not one tablet in the collection is completely bug free. Pick one and I can find something off a little. Some folk are not ready for that.

Collapse -
Good point
by RabTechy / December 6, 2012 8:23 PM PST

I seen it in PC World and had a little test drive with it, very resposive. To be honest, it seems like I won't be able to get my hands on the nexus 10 so that leaves me choice of the 700 or the 300. I think I am honestly just a bit cautious as this is my first real android and tablet experience as I was always a bit of an apple fanboy before this (mac book, iPhone etc). The more customisable android experience seems attractive to me, I just worry that a month down the line..the software lets me down and I start to get major lag while browsing or playing games. I guess I just don't have enough experience with android, but the specs, especially the quad Tegra 3 quad core sounds good. I want fast and I want stamia. I want away from the all to familiar apple. Money wise, 3 may seem like the better option..Might go with that.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Good point

You happened to write a word that I was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED with the Asus Transformer tf300 and dock.

I gave the unit to my son to drive around and see what he thought. I didn't supply a charger. He played with it during that day and then it sat for a week all the while never connected to a charger.

What usually happens is the unit goes dead. I was amazed that when I fired it up after it being off the charger for a week it had more than 84% charge left. This is really good news for those that must have long battery times.

Collapse -
Ipad mini
by mikejame078 / December 12, 2012 1:18 PM PST

i am using an ipad mini and believe me its amazing!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.