PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Next Gen PC Gaming Rig Questions...

by zackatttack / April 5, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

I've always had a struggle choosing between consoles and PC gaming. For some reason something that can go wrong with a PC, seems to go wrong for me... But after looking at specs for NextGen consoles and seeing the capabilities of what computers are capable now, I've decided to take the plunge back into strictly PC gaming, which means I get to buy an expensive new toy Grin .

Anyways, my question:

I want to build a PC for biggest bang for buck, i'd say my budget (going to be a pretty big window) is 1-2k. I'm looking for something that is going to be able to crush, or at least out perform next gen gaming consoles, hopefully long in to their life.

-I don't know exactly how I feel about dual graphics cards, i've heard the extra boost you get isn't worth the expensive costs to get it running, but that's why I'm asking you guys. It's been about 8 years since i've built my own PC so my knowledge is very, very outdated.
-Is it worth waiting till a certain time to make my purchase (has the new hardware come out, is it coming out soon, etc)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next Gen PC Gaming Rig Questions...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next Gen PC Gaming Rig Questions...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We leave dual video cards to others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 3:06 AM PDT

For folk that have (sorry for this but gotta write it) more money than sense, they'll do that.

The best bang for the buck is amazingly simple.

1. Pick the best card you can afford from this list.

2. Now the fun begins. I'm sure you've read this before:
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "

3. And now for the last items. Go for 8GB RAM, Windows 7 and standard drives.

Hope you figure this out fast.

Collapse -
Add-on to what R.P. said
by bob b / April 5, 2013 7:24 AM PDT

If your going to get serious with gaming.
Don't go cheap with the psu.
Quality......single rail......and don't be afraid to "super size it".

Collapse -
Agree w/all
by Swift29 / April 11, 2013 1:45 AM PDT

Depending on how much reading you care to put into it, I'd second what both R. and bob have to say. I keep up with various sites and their reviews on a periodic basis just as a hobby (no cash really), and if $ no object you definitely want to go Intel. After extensive reading I will only buy Gigabyte mobos but that's just me. Agree you won't need over 8 GB ram and I don't like some things about Windows 8.

Anyway, Tom's and other good sites have best bang for the buck articles and extensive comments that will help you decide on components, even what the best deals are today vs. last week. Newegg is really good about any problems right out of the box but what I really want to say is recent articles agree that PC will outperform at least until the next gen consoles. I'd say you'll get more mileage w/PC virtually always because if you choose correctly you can upgrade at least a few times vs. shelling out for consoles again. Their performance is more curve-like.

Def agree stick w/single card. You can go dual later as a boost with the right mobo, driver issues should be minimal. As far as waiting, re: pricing, if it isn't around Christmas or July I'd say go for it. Re: new hardware technologies, I haven't read of anything coming down the pike better than DDR5 for card memory but cpu I've only read recently that AMD is not catching up w/Intel's top anytime soon. Don't know how soon either is bringing out game changers. Most sites stick w/i7's or even i5's. Cheers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.