Camcorders

General discussion

NewEgg for Canon HV-20?(Hg-10)

by brandeenoh / December 2, 2007 12:18 PM PST

Hey People of Cnet forums! I'm new, and I have 3 questions.
1)Which one, Canon Hg-10, or the Hv-20?
2)Is NewEgg trustable, because they have a REALLY good price for the HV-20
3)Which boom Mic do you guys recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NewEgg for Canon HV-20?(Hg-10)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NewEgg for Canon HV-20?(Hg-10)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my two cents...
by boya84 / December 3, 2007 5:50 AM PST
1)Which one, Canon Hg-10, or the Hv-20?
HV20

2)Is NewEgg trustable, because they have a REALLY good price for the HV-20
I have not heard bad things about NewEgg - they sell lots of computer gear.

3)Which boom Mic do you guys recommend?
I presume you mean a shotgun mic mounted to a boom - how much do you have to spend? In my opinion, best is Sennheiser... You will also need an XLR adapter like http://beachtek.com/dxa6vu.html
Beachtek recommends the DXA-2s for the HV20, but the phantom power available in the DXA-6a and 6vu will be really helpful with the higher-end mics than can use phantom power.
Audio-Technica makes good shotgun mics, too...

For you to think about: Is stereo required or mono acceptable?

Maybe this helps... http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

In addition to the boom (your boom-ops person would really appreciate a nice graphite or aluminum or carbon fiber boom pole/extension like those from http://www.coffeysound.com/home.php?cat=5 ), a shockmount (either from the mic manufacturer or a Sabra SMM-1 universal shockmount is suggested) and if you might be in a windy (outside or even near an air conditioning vent), a zeppelin (also referred to as a "dead cat") will be required. You can make one <http://www.joelandkaren.com/mic-zeppelin/> or buy one from folks like http://www.rycote.com/
Collapse -
hmmm... the link for that
by boya84 / December 3, 2007 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: my two cents...
Collapse -
THANKS!
by brandeenoh / December 3, 2007 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: my two cents...

thanks!
I have about $100 dollars to work with for the boom, so what should I do?
Also, with the Canon HV-20, can you use the phones port while using the mic, so my boom op can listen?
Lastly, what about the Audio Technica ATR-55?

Collapse -
on the boom...
by boya84 / December 3, 2007 3:26 PM PST
In reply to: THANKS!

You can actually use anything that will accept a mic-clip thread since that is how the mic will mount to either the mic clip or the shock-mount. If your boom-ops has to stand there for several hours, the boom will get heavy. I guess Gitzo is in the right direction.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=369&modelid=14869

Check page 30 of the manual - "You can also use the headphones to check the audio level while recording"... You may need an adapter to connect 1/4" headphone plug to the 1/8" jack on the camera - I suggest using a right-angle adapter (Radio Shack has them) so there is not so much weight on the jack when sticking straight out...

The ATR55 will probably meet some short term requirements - but you should consider upgrading at a later point. It will certainly be a lot better than the camera's built-in mics. For this sort of "combo" mic, I use a NRG Research SA-568. But like I said, the ATR55 will likely do the trick for you.

Collapse -
Between the HV20 and HG10...
by whizkid454 / December 3, 2007 6:12 AM PST

What are your goals? What do you have to work with? The more information you provide, the more help you can get.

Collapse -
HV-20
by Remarkable_1 / December 3, 2007 10:25 AM PST

I just went through the same exercise and went with the HV-20. Based on everything I read it was the best combination of price, picture, etc.

Also, I bought mine at dbuys.com which was the best price on the web. It was my second purchase from them and received great service both times.

Collapse -
HV20...
by ammccreary / December 3, 2007 11:34 AM PST

at the Newegg price of $749, that's about the cheapest all year. Then again, expect to see these bad boys drop more after the year during "year-end" sales. Companies tend to unload a lot of stock closer to their "real" threshhold as to keep from paying a lot of inventory tax. Look for buydig.com or newegg.com to have a lot of good sales not too mention brick and mortars (expect to either buy in a bundle package or about $100 more than you can get it online...but you will have it in your hands).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.