PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Newby disk question

by Tekenbeet / November 4, 2012 3:13 AM PST

Hay All,
I have this old Xplore C2 rugged Tablet loaded with XP tablet edition.
For a long time I want to make a decent image and upgrade with a larger ssd. But I'm unable to boot it from USB. Yesterday I unscrewed the lid and pulled the drive. Its a Hitachi 2,5" Travelmate 40Gb IDE/ATA. It has a flatcable (foil-type) hanging from the bottom-center. It attaches to a connector on the main-board.
Any idea what this is? Can I buy an IDE SDE, write the image to it and forget about this flat-cable?

Tekenbeet has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newby disk question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newby disk question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Tekenbeet

Collapse -
by Willy / November 4, 2012 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Newby disk question

I would suspect if the "flat cable" attaches to the drive you'll still need it. If anything, its there for a reason, re-use is advisable.

Understand, some devices won't go for the larger HD as they "limited by design" or bios limits. It is in effect to accept only certain HD sizes or just what it came with. As other posters offered, SSD may not be a good match for your XP based setup. Of course, you can try anything you want, but overall, it maybe a losing fix. Is there a support website, what does it offer or suggest is possible?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thanks sofar
by Tekenbeet / November 4, 2012 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: Upgrades

Thanks to all who responded to my post.
And sure, I didn't mean SDE but SDD.
Wow, I wasn't aware XP causes premature death of ssd disks. I'll consider some linux os or just stick to HDD.
It does raise another question. I have another tablet (Xybernaut Atigo) witch has XP-embedded on some sort of integrated flash-memory. Would XP-embedded invoke same issues?

Anyway I was hoping to do this without the official support-line. It's an old machine from work. I don't know if we still pay for support for these things. I did find out I need a login to get a bios-update. I was hoping a bios-update would enable me to boot this thing from usb.

By pulling the drive I was able to image the disk and rewrite it to a spare(not having this dangling flatcable). When inserted I get ''no operating system". So I would still like to know what this flatcable is before I buy a disk SSD or HDD.

I'll send an email to the Xplore support and get back here..

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Only guessing...
by Willy / November 5, 2012 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: thanks sofar

I did a quick "specs" on your model and it offered that an optional HD was 80gb. It also mentioned ram could go to 1gb vs. the std. 512mb.

XP is XP, however again from the specs it made the mention that it was XP Tablet OS. So, I suspect that some special attention was given at the time for tablet use. If in fact the XP is buried in memory stick, then it's bound to be locked with no user changes unless somehow accessed. Which brings up the special situation of these tablet releases, it's no longer provided in this way. later model rely on access to the OS and whatever updates required to keep up to date.

Flat cable, I would have to view it more than anything else. if access to schematics it should explain what it is. Probable use is static or grounding strap. It may merely need to touch the HD or be an area that allows to drain static build-up, etc.. That's only a guess.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Small world. Embedded XP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: thanks sofar

I attended a Microsoft Seminar on Embedded XP and we didn't use SSD back them but another system so the issue you are alluding to does not exist as there was no SSD back then. One can bet folk will do this anyway in spite of the warnings.

Collapse -
closing up the tread
by Tekenbeet / November 12, 2012 8:24 PM PST

Ha All,
I send an email to the Xplore support team. Within 24 hours I got their response. The flatcable connects to a heater on the drive. It's intended to keep the drive in within operating temperatures in extreme cold conditions.
So thats sorted.
Again thanks to all who responded.

Collapse -
Small world!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: closing up the tread

One of my gigs involves mobile DVRs and we put heaters in for the Northern climates you see in say, most of Canada.

While it's fun to discuss such things it looks like you are off in the hinter lands of embedded computing. It's an area I've worked in and I didn't reveal all my background.

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 3:29 AM PST

What's SDE?
Not immediately obvious if I look at http://www.acronymfinder.com/SDE.html

And what do you mean with a "larger ssd"? XP and SSD is an unlucky combination, because XP doesn't know about trimming. Only advised for Windows 7 and higher.

Collapse -
Let's say that is SSD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 5:03 AM PST

While there are IDE SSD out there, XP is not going to be a wise choice as that OS does not know about TRIM and more.

Go find a new 60GB drive to steer clear of other IDE+XP+Machine issues and forget you ever heard of SSD.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.