Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

newbie confused again

by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

Here's what I'm confused about. Don't laugh to hard! I've Googled this and can't seem to find a definitive answer.I have a dual booting computer with freshly installed os's, Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit and Linux Lite. Both are just the os's and nothing else. How do I make an image of the whole hdd as one complete system and not as two separate systems? ... Thanks, Digger

itsdigger has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: newbie confused again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: newbie confused again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by itsdigger

Collapse -
Get Easeus Todo Backup or Norton Ghost
by wpgwpg / July 20, 2013 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: newbie confused again

Two programs I use are Easeus Todo Backup Free and Norton Ghost 15. Either will do what you want and you don't have to reboot - you just run them from Windows.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Most any imaging SW should do that especially
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: newbie confused again

if you boot from the imaging SW on a CD-DVD.

You might be able to run some imaging SW booting from the original SW CD-DVD but others may require the imaging SW be installed and then you run the 'CREATE BOOTABLE MEDIA'.

Let us know how it works.

Collapse -
VAPCMD and wpgwpg
by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 3:59 AM PDT

let me get this straight , I download say Easeus Todo Backup on Win 7 and it will let me create a copy of my 2 operating systems to disc's which are bootable and will format the hdd and reinstall both systems?

Collapse -
Format & reinstall?
by wpgwpg / July 20, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: VAPCMD and wpgwpg

I didn't see anything in your OP about formatting & reinstalling. I don't know of any backup program that does all that, although you do have the option to boot from a CD and reinstall from the backup.

Collapse -
Additional info
by Steven Haninger / July 20, 2013 5:47 AM PDT

I don't know that utility but I find that the best way to save and restore complete hard drive images is not to put them on removable media (CDs/DVDs) but on another hard drive. It can be an internal or external drive that's large enough to accommodate the image file. The program I use is one I paid for (Acronis True Image) and the image file created is about 40% as large as the total data size on the hard drive. You can keep the image on internal or external devices. I use both. To restore the image, you must use the same program that you used to create it. This means that if you suffer a hard drive failure, you cannot restore the image from an installed program on that dead hard drive. You will need to create a bootable CD of the imaging utility. The program I use does install on the hard drive but also creates a bootable disk which I can use if I need to replace a defective hard drive or move to a larger one. One nice feature of the program I use is that I can extract individual files or folders from image files if they've become corrupt, lost, etc. I've found HD images to be an important, if not essential, part of a backup plan. Good luck.

Collapse -
Steve....agree. Images are the way to go for me. Want to
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2013 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional info

avoid new/clean installs in the event of corruption or drive failure.

Collapse -
Not what I said...please read response below
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

Digger asked 'How do I make an image of the whole hdd as one complete system and not as two separate systems?' ... Thanks,

VAPCMD response

Most any imaging SW should allow you to create an image of both partitions with different OSs especially if you boot from the imaging SW from a CD-DVD. It can be a single image (may consist of multiple files) that could be restored to the existing drive or a new drive should that be required. I've used Powerquest Drive Image, Norton Ghost and now Acronis and I've always run them from bootable media. The target/destination drive for the image would normally be another HDD or perhaps a large thumbdrive or flash drive.

Re HD images...I've been using imaging software like Powerquest's Drive image, Norton Ghost when they acquired Powerquest and now Acronis 'True Image'.

Collapse -
I got it VAPCMD
by itsdigger / July 20, 2013 10:25 AM PDT

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear...should be pretty straight forward.
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I got it VAPCMD
Collapse -
after talking with VAPCMD and wpgwpg yesterday
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 10:57 AM PDT

I started looking at external hdd's to do some of these back ups but I don't know a lot about them. I seem to remember hearing someone say to stay away from 3.0 usb and stick with 2.0. Is that correct? I,ve been looking at this one and wondered what you guy's thought before I took the plunge. If you wouldn't mind looking at for me I'd really appreciate it. Here it is->-> . Thanks for your time...Digger

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.