Windows 7

Question

New Win 7 Install - won't recognize HD

by Hugh_Jim_Bissell / July 28, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

Hello. I built a new computer to run the Win 7 OS. The new computer has an Intel i5 CPU, an ASUS mobo, and two separate Seagate HDs.

When I first started the new computer, the BIOS recognized the two HDs. When I installed Win 7 on the computer, the install program asked which HD (recognized as disc 0 and disc 1) the OS should be installed on (I choose disc 0).

The OS is now up and running, but Win only recognizes one of the two HDs in the computer.

What do I need to do to get Win 7 to recognize both HDs? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Win 7 Install - won't recognize HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Win 7 Install - won't recognize HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So this other HDD is not showing in???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

There's the BIOS, Device Manager, Disk Manager, Explorer.

You didn't reveal which area it's missing so my guess is the drive is blank and you need to prepare it in drive management.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
More Info:
by Hugh_Jim_Bissell / July 28, 2013 5:49 AM PDT

Hello. Here is some more info.

1) When I say Win 7 only recognizes one of the HDs, I mean the windows Computer application only shows one HD lettered C:

2) I'm now looking at the windows Disk Management application. The DM app shows two HDs. One HD called Disc 0, which has one partition labelled "System Reserved" (100 MB in size, NTFS), and another 460 GB unallocated. The other HD is called Disc 1, and is labelled as the "C" drive.

So I'm guessing I need to partition and format the HDs so they show up properly in the My Computer application.

New question: when I was installing Win 7, it asked whether the OS should be installed on Disc 0 or Disc 1. I choose disc 0 for the OS install. Now that Win 7 is installed, the Disk Management utility is saying the "C" drive is located on Disc 1. Why wasn't the OS installed on the Disc 0? Also part of the HD identified as "System Reserved": is that necessary? Can I delete it? Can I move it onto the "C" drive?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Yes to prepare the new drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info:

As to System Reserved it's just that and now would be a great time to learn what happens if you delete that (boom.)

And since that System Reserved partition is well discussed I think you only need to finish up.

-> The windows Computer application is "Explorer".
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry - another silly question
by Hugh_Jim_Bissell / July 28, 2013 6:28 AM PDT

Sorry, I have another silly question.

So I gather the "System Reserved" is important.

Why did Windows put the System Reserved on a separate drive from the rest of the OS files? Can I move the "System Reserved" to another location?

Thanks

Collapse -
Here it's on the boot drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

Remember it appears you never prepared the second drive. I know system reserved is well discussed on the boot drive so I took your question as one you only need to read a few of the prior discussions (as a rule I will note these and not duplicate prior discussions I can find with google.) Sorry but a few folk get upset with that but I like to cover the area you won't find so easy.

OK, as a test, unplug the second drive and power up. If the machine is fine then blast away at the second drive with Drive Management as you wish.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Try again
by Willy / July 29, 2013 12:04 AM PDT

On top of the advise given to you you may want to retry again. Simply, disconnect the 2nd HD(HD 1) and do a complete re-install. Having only the 1 drive, HD 0, format and re-install the OS. Completely format, no quick format either, total wipe clean the old install, don't make the mistake of making a dual OS setup, etc.. Make sure what is present on the HD 0, proceed with install following prompts that provide the install you want. *NOTE* I find it far easier to use some disc wiper that totally removes 100% what data is on the disc making it 100% blank when done. Then, do an OS install, following the prompts then to make the type of disc you want. Once all is done and completed, verify the boot-up and proceed to finish the PC system installs, updates, patches, etc., until done. Review the HD management setup, know how it works. Shutdown and then connect the HD 1(2nd drive) to PC and boot-up. Return to the HD management area and prepare the 2nd HD(physical HD 1) and proceed to format and prepare for use. Once done, if should all be good to go.

Since, these are Seagate drives, the support website(if didn't come with new HDs) has install s/w that prepares the drives in a more user friendly way if you don't readily understand the MS way of doing things. The s/w allows a new user to prepare, install and setup the drives as they wish via some menu selection, yada, yada.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
New Win 7 Install - won't recognize HD
by livepcexpert7 / July 31, 2013 5:30 AM PDT

01. Reconnect the Sata Cables of the Hard Drive that is not being detected

02. Uninstall the Root Hubs and the update the Chipset driver from Asus
Website

Collapse -
How will that help an unpartitioned drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

The drive shows up proper so why this work?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
This has a very simple resolution
by wpgwpg / July 31, 2013 6:47 AM PDT

Here's all you need to do. Create a partition on HD0 and format it. That's all you need to do.
`
In case you don't know how, just click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Now on HD0 right-click an unallocated area and then click Create Partition. Format the new partition, and voila - Windows will recognize both HDs. That's it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.