Desktops forum

General discussion

New Vista PC arrives tomorrow-The 1st thing you should do is

by gaston55 / June 5, 2007 9:15 AM PDT

New Gateway DX430X is being delivered tomorrow. What are some of the things I should do before using it?
I know to inspect the inside of tower for components that may have come loose in shipping. And I would like to ?back up? the system before using it or installing additional software. I am not familiar with Vista. So what important steps do I take when the computer arrives?
Thank you for your input.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Vista PC arrives tomorrow-The 1st thing you should do is
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Vista PC arrives tomorrow-The 1st thing you should do is
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read all the instructions before
by retired / June 5, 2007 9:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
no need for initial backup
by ramarc / June 5, 2007 11:44 PM PDT

the gateway should come with a restore disc so an initial backup shouldn't be necessary. once you've loaded it up with your software and files, you can then use the "backup and restore center" to start doing simple file backups or get a 3rd party backup utility (or external drive) to do real backups (including applications).

Collapse -
Cross your fingers. . .

Your old software and hardware probably won't work. Printers and scanners are the worst hit.

Collapse -
True!
by mopscare42 / June 6, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

I have Vista Home premium and some of the software that I have that is 2 years or older doesn't work right or at all.
All my newer software works without a problem.
The vendors are starting to get the drivers and software for printers, scanners and other peripherals released, you just have to look for them.
The worst ones I had trouble with was Norton Internet Security 2007 and Nero 7 ultra you have to jump through hoops to get them downloaded and installed, but they are both Vista compatable now
Vista is a great program and the learning curve is not bad at all if you are used to XP and take a few hours to get familiarized with it.

Collapse -
Take Photographs of the labels
by retexan599 / June 8, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

1. I took closeup photos (macro lens) of the various labels on the tower case, especially the stuff on the bottom, also the back of the monitor, etc. Then I also photographed the interior of the case so I would have a good reference if anything went wrong.

2. I carefully reviewed the various pre-loaded software programs and files and removed the ones I did not want; did this before installing any of these items. Example is the many choices I was given for online services; I already had my ISP and did not want AOL or MSN, etc. on my computer. In the case of AOL, there was a big folder named AOLUS which I deleted so there is no trace of AOL on my machine; AOL stuff has a reputation that once it gets installed/activated, it is very difficult to remove. Sometimes this is referred to 'bloatware'; better to search and destroy at the beginning before the stuff has a chance to infiltrate the drive.

3. Otherwise I pretty much gave Vista "it's head" and accepted most of its conventions and setups. It's a beautiful system and I really like it.

Collapse -
You have about 6 hrs of solid work ahead if you do it right
by RDO CA / June 8, 2007 12:25 PM PDT

You should enjoy your new Gateway but you do have some work to do first. I have been using Vista for several months now and it is great.
When I set up a new computer I have about 6-8 hrs of work before using it. Here are some of the things I would suggest to get the most enjoyment from any new computer.
1. boot it and reg and activate it and set up the anti virus.
2. Do all the windows updates--go to control panel as it is not on line anymore.
3. update adobe 8 reader and install shock wave and flash
4. You need to make your restore disc's as they do not ship anymore--go to gateway recovery center
5. set up side bar if you like
6. Put the run command back in the orb menu list--right click the orb (start) and choose prop and start tab and customize and check run
7. show extensions--in the folder options uncheck hide
8. set up all orb menu options as you like
9. deselect high lite new installed programs
10. I should have said first not to hook up any printers or other till you are almost done and have any new drivers or software written for Vista already downloaded before hooking up
11. set the defrag sched
12. reduce size of recycle bin and deselect delete confirm
13. Install Itunes and quicktime
14. install any new software
15. transfer data from old computer
16. one of most important things is to uncheck MOST of the items in the startup menu that start and run in the background ---good sites to use to know what can be safely unchecked is sysinfo.org or the ultimate trouble shooter---start--run--msconfig--startup tab and go to work
17. when done defrag and run a virus check
18. lots of other little tweks that you like ---ENJOY

Collapse -
Re-format the hard disk to get rid of all the "crap-ware"...
by grtgrfx / June 8, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

then re-install Vista from your purchased Windows Vista backup DVD that you thoughtfully ordered (not the restore to factory DVD Dell gave you). Once you have a clean machine, go ahead and install your applications from the original disks and copy over your user files from any previous PC you had backed up. Then download and install Avant's free home-user spyware and antivirus suite. It's smooth sailing from here on out!

Collapse -
The first thing I would do...
by farhansyed / June 8, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

...is reformat the hard disk and get rid of Vista. There's a reason why demand for Windows XP has skyrocketed ever since Vista came out. You can buy legal OEM XP Home for about $95 including shipping from many online resellers such as Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc. Buy it now before it's too late.

Collapse -
New Vista PC arrives tomorrow-The 1st thing you should do is

Well, now, If I were you, if you have an XP Home or XP Pro Disc, I would wipe the damn thing and get rid of Vista an Install either one of those to operation systems. Lol, Vista is a Joke, I went to Future Shop the other day and there were at least 2 systems frozen up on display, so I don't have much faith in Billl GAtes new operation system. For Now Stay with xp an you willl be ok.

Collapse -
Easy question!
by Jennifoo / June 8, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

And here's the easy answer: I wouldn't have bought it. I think Microsoft suits push developers to get it on the market as soon as possible so that they can make a huge profit (as if they haven't been raking it in all along-- what's the rush? Afraid world domination is going to be achieved by aliens?). Because of the rush, the OS hasn't been properly tested before being released to the public. This leads to system bugs and fixes that have to be downloaded all the time.

If I worked at MS and I completed Vista, this is what I would do. I'd set up a network of 30 or so computers with Vista on them and have MS employees use THOSE COMPUTERS ALONE for the next 3-6 months. I'd make up projects so that they would have to perform every operation the system is capable of. We'd list every error or issue that came up during those 3-6 months and then fix the problems. Then we'd test the system for another month as a "final sweep." Only when I was completely satisfied that major bugs and constant small ones were taken care of would I then give the OK to ship Vista. Of course, some minor bugs might still come up, but those could be dealt with.

Because of this, I would never, ever upgrade my computer to Vista until at least 6 months or so have passed. Businesses everywhere are pushed to get products out to the public to sate their greed, which leads to shabby quality, inconvenience to the consumer, and, ultimately, consumer outcry. When this happens, then the companies have to go "back to the drawing board" and spend millions of dollars fixing up the mistakes that could have been avoided had they used a little self control and tested their product first. How is that "making a profit?" Case in point: How many cars are recalled every year because of shoddy workmanship?

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned person, but I just don't get how these companies think.

Collapse -
Enjoy IT
by news4la / June 9, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

Don't let them tell you stories about Vista! I have Vista Ultimate. On a Gateway 5424 and I haven't had any trouble with it. I agree there is a load of crapware on the hard disk. Pick what you like and get rid of the rest. You don't need to back the OS up its on the H partition of the hard drive. So is the User manual. Activate the Mcafee 6 month trial that came with the machine.Your good to go. If your machine came with a nvidia graphics card. You can enjoy Vista Aero graphics right away. Computing should be FUN!! You wil get to know your machine just give it and you time.

Collapse -
Yes, Vista works fine
by duckdive / June 9, 2007 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Enjoy IT

I haven't had any problems with my Dell Optiplex GX280 that I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate. All three of my printers work. My Motorola Q works fine when syncing.

If this PC is to be used for general computing (internet, email, word processing and other office type apps), you'll be fine. Do your updates. Do not connect directly to the internet. Use antivirus approved for Vista (try a free for home use, Avast or AVG). Establish a backup plan of important data. Use a good password. Don't let other people (kids or friends) use it unattended cause someone will inevitably load some p2p, spyware, or just poorly written app.

Other than that, sign up for a Microsoft newsletter to learn more about Vista.

Collapse -
backup, backup, backup
by DrRandyBoy / June 10, 2007 6:12 PM PDT

This is how I've learned to avoid re-inventing the wheel as a system builder:

If Windows is waiting for you to complete installation, cancel (reboot) it and make a full backup first (unless restore and OS discs are included). Label the disc "As Rec'd".

Once you complete installing Windows, make another full backup. Label it "Full Install". I would use DVD blanks and Ghost or Drive Image etc. (boot to DOS/Linux etc.; do NOT backup from inside Windows except possibly with newer versions of Ghost etc. which can manage that.)

*BEFORE* you go online for updated drivers and applications, Windows updates, etc., install a good firewall like ZoneAlarm. And a good real-time virus scanner. And a real-time spyware scanner. Your ISP, work, or school may provide you each of these. Now make an incremental backup. Label it "Security add-ons, Full Install".

Uninstall bloatware you will never use if you're sure of what you're doing, then make a full backup (a single DVD should still be able to backup your entire system at this point; if not, try a DL DVD or use multiple single layer discs, which the backup (imaging) software will span as if they are a single, giant DVD. Label it "Secure, de-bloat Full Install: Base System". You might instead de-bloat before adding security software - to be sure the system is still stable before installing security programs...

Now download those updates, install, and setup Windows to your preferences. Make another full backup and label it "Updated Base System"

From here on, you will need only make differential backups of new software you install to your "base" system, and any data you create, download, etc.

You *might* want to re-partition a huge hard drive into boot & data drives to make future defragmentations and backups easier (and disk access possibly faster). There are utilities for this process on Bart's.

Be sure to update your malware scanners every week or month and do deep system scans at least monthly (I do weekly) from a bootable disc such as one you can create from Bart's PE Builder Disc free program (http://nu2.nu). Most system utilities now come bundled with similar, bootable discs. Just be sure to enable booting to optical drives in your system bios (hit F8 while booting to enter CMOS/BIOS setup). If you merely scan for malware from within Windows, you've already lost the fight against some nasties that are built to hide themselves from detection by disguising themselves as Windows components which may not even show up in TaskManager.

If you only do one thing I mention above, PLEASE install a good firewall and virus scanner before going online...

BTW, you can also save yourself some grief the next time your system crashes (whether from software glitch or physical hardware failure -- both of which you can also check for from within Bart's disc) by making a final working clone/image of your hard drive to a *second* hard drive, which can then simply be swapped out for the "bad" drive when it crashes, then brought up to date with differential backup restorations.

This also gives you a great way to get back your old system if you upgrade to a new OS (such as Vista), then decide it's not ready for you yet. Just pop the cloned drive back into your system and you've got your old faithful setup again (so long as you did not clone the new OS to your clone/backup drive - always best to have two sets of backups; one of the current and one of the previous system just in case.) Newer imaging software will even allow you to run a second system from a compressed image of such a system stored in a large file on the same partition/hard drive as your current system (macs have enjoyed this luxury for years). VirtualPC can help with that flexible setup (free from MS, IIRC).

Enjoy your new PC!

Collapse -
Vista @#@#@#!@#*****!!!!!!!!!!
by Vistapoo / June 11, 2007 2:27 AM PDT

Check and see if there are XP drivers for your new computer. If not then send it back and exchange it for one that has them! Don't get stuck like I did with a computer that won't run my programs or work with some of my hardware. When you get the second computer set it up as a dual boot system with XP and Vista.I wasted my time and money trying to get the OS to operate in a multi OS networked business environment. I had to get Tech support from Adobe ( a trusted site) just to download Elements 5.0. I called MS and HP support told it would cost 59$ a pop when I asked to talk to a supervisor and in both cases I was transferred to a ringing phone until the line disconnected. Play it safe, run XP and Vista.

Collapse -
RE: first thing to do on a new vista PC
by Ptero-4 / August 10, 2007 3:31 PM PDT

When it arrives, junk Vista and stick ubuntu on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.