Windows 8

Question

New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse keeps disappearing.?

by hergie10 / December 25, 2012 12:33 AM PST

I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop (S855-S5377) for Christmas and it is running Windows 8. I started using it and it worked fine, but I started using Internet Explorer and the mouse froze, but I could still use my keyboard to get back to the start-page and move around with the up/down/left/right keys. My mouse was no where to be found on the start-page. I used the ctrl-alt-delete to log out, and then when the log-in screen came up my mouse reappeared and seemed to be working again. I logged back in and my mouse worked for a few seconds, then disappeared. I did the same things over and over again a few times, and either the mouse was nowhere to be found from the get-go, or it worked for a bit then disappeared once I started doing things. I shut down, and restarted multiple times. Any fix for this problem? If it is a Windows 8 problem I am very disappointing at the moment with the software. Thank you, and happy holidays.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse keeps disappearing.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse keeps disappearing.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the LEFT USB port
by wpgwpg / December 25, 2012 12:39 AM PST

I have a one year old Satellite L755 (running Windows 7) and have that problem with the right side USB ports. When I plug the mouse into the left side port, it works. I have no idea why, but it's easy enough to do, so I've never bothered asking why.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Mouse problem
by pgc3 / December 25, 2012 1:03 AM PST

And what mouse, manufacturer, are you using?

Collapse -
Mouse Problem
by hergie10 / December 25, 2012 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse problem

I am just talking the mouse-pad on the laptop itself. My mouse just stops being visible or it freezes. The laptop itself is not frozen, just the mouse. I can use my keyboard and all, just the mouse-pad is unresponsive until I use my keyboard to log off and it reappears.

Collapse -
Clearly a warranty or return.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse Problem

It's new and should not have such issues. If any software or addons were added, I can see where it could be a problem as many apps are not ready.

Given Toshiba's and another maker's repair system issues I would not send it in but return it for another model.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
What mouse? Maker and did you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 1:15 AM PST

Did you happen to install any "drivers"? Windows 8 is so new that I would not trust the maker's drivers today.

If the mouse failed, that would explain why it doesn't come back. If this is a wireless mouse, try new batteries.
Bob

Collapse -
My theory about losing the mouse
by wpgwpg / December 25, 2012 1:23 AM PST

My Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop has the same problem when I use the RIGHT USB ports but not the left, and I'm using Windows 7. The two on the right have a feature for keeping power even when the laptop is shut down, the left doesn't. For some reason that seems to make the difference. I'm currently using a wired Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000, but I had the same problem with a Gearhead wireless mouse as well.

Collapse -
Answer
: New Toshiba Laptop with Windows 8 mouse keeps disappearing
by loveftwx3 / December 27, 2012 11:12 PM PST

I have the same problem. I kept restarting my laptop. The mouse would move for the first 3 minutes and then all sudden it would stop moving and i would switch pages and the mouse would disappear.

The keyboard still works when this occur and the right and left clicks works fine too but the mouse would not move.

What should I do? Should I return this?

(I just receive it for Christmas too. Its a New Toshiba Laptop with Windows Cool

Collapse -
:Have you tried the LEFT USB port?
by wpgwpg / December 27, 2012 11:55 PM PST

See my 12/25 post above. That works for me. I see that post was marked helpful.

Good luck.

Collapse -
laptop
by kristinavlz / February 26, 2013 8:56 AM PST

I had the same problem with my touchpad. I took it to office max and they tried everything but then they hooked up an external mouse and it worked just fine

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.