Mac OS forum

General discussion

new to mac...need help

by candy2012 / October 13, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

hello guys i just got the 09 macbook pro and im more use to a pc so i need a little help on how to keep my computer clean..

how do i clean out my computer on files that are downloaded?
how do i clean out the internet cache and cookies?
do i need a virus software? if so which is good for a mac?

thanks for the help! Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to mac...need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to mac...need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
uninstall
by candy2012 / October 13, 2009 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: new to mac...need help

and how to uninstall a software

Collapse -
removing/uninstalling
by froggy56 / October 13, 2009 3:50 PM PDT
In reply to: uninstall

With most programmes, it is simply a matter of taking the application and dropping it in the Trash.

You *may* leave behind some small files, but generally nothing of any consequence.

There are some shareware uninstallers around, but I've not tried any of them.

Cheers Happy

Collapse -
BestUninstaller4Mac
by klor5 / October 16, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

It's not free but "CleanApp" is probably the best one I've come across.

Even better,when you want to uninstall an app. click on Spotlight (The magnifying glass at the very top right hand corner of the screen) and type in the name of the app. you want to uninstall,then click "Show All".You should now have most if not all files/folders associated with that application.

Bye the way,if you didn't know - Holding down the command key (The ones with a picture of an apple on them) and clicking on items allows you to select multiple items and then right clicking on any highlighted item will give you a list of things you can do to ALL highlighted items (Such as Open or Move To Trash) without having to go through them one by one.

Collapse -
Uninstall
by johnlh / October 28, 2009 2:12 AM PDT

There are various ways to uninstall applications. Some applications have an unistall built into them. You also can look under "File" and go to "Find". Enter the name of your application you want to uninstall. It will bring up anything that has the words you enter and you can locate them and trash them one at a time. There are some general uninstall utilities but be careful with these as they sometime remove things used by other applications. You also can enter you application under "Spotlight" and locate items to trash.

Collapse -
Getting to know your Mac
by froggy56 / October 13, 2009 3:38 PM PDT

No anti-virus software is needed on your Mac. If you feel more comfortable with having some anti-virus software (as I know some people do coming from Windows), please don't choose Norton! I hear that iAntiVirus is about the best around for your Mac.

Assuming that you're using Safari as your browser (you don't say which browser you're using), to remove cookies, go to Safari preferences, then to the Security tab, click Show Cookies. From there, you can choose to remove individual cookies, or remove them all.

Again, assuming you're using Safari, to empty the cache, go to the Safari menu, then select Empty Cache.

If your Mac is set up as standard, most downloaded files will be in a folder called Downloads. To empty that folder, locate it in Finder, open it, select all files, then command & click and select Move to Trash.

Hope that helps you. Enjoy your Mac!
Happy

Collapse -
second that
by macnerd10 / October 13, 2009 4:46 PM PDT

I have ClamxAv on one computer and iAntiVirus on another one. Agree that the latter (a freebie) has a very good reputation, especially for updates. Right now, there is nothing to worry about, but who knows? Fortunately, 99% of malware are exe files that Mac cannot simply read. Even if you accidentally download one, it will be sitting in the download folder with no harm and you can delete it at any time. For maintenance, cache cleaning, etc. there are utilities. I can recommend TinkerTool system ($15). You can do it once a month. The browser, as you know, can be instructed to do it automatically or you can clean up caches by yourself in the preferences panes. You may need an external hard drive or at least a big flask drive for backup (it is always recommended). For cloning the system on aFireWire bootable hard disk you need something like SuperDuper ($20), a great and faithful cloning app. Finally, I would recommend you buy some heavy artillery in case of need, such as DiskWarrior ($80-90). For about $130 for software you will be equipped against most evil.
Enjoy the MBP!

Collapse -
reappearing cookies
by vhenk24 / October 19, 2009 11:55 AM PDT

I've also just recently purchased a Mac. My cookies reappear after I've deleted them...how can I permanently delete them? I'm using Safari...Mac OS X. Thanks.

Collapse -
All cookies or just some?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 19, 2009 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: reappearing cookies

After you delete all the cookies, they will begin to reappear again the instant you get on the internet.

P

Collapse -
All cookies
by vhenk24 / October 19, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

They all return. It's bizarre...

Collapse -
deleting cookies 'permanently'
by froggy56 / October 19, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: reappearing cookies

Apparently, with Safari 4, there is an issue with cookies not staying deleted.

After deleting the cookies, you need to quit Safari IMMEDIATELY - before it has time to recreate or restore them.

When you restart Safari, those deleted cookies will be gone for good.

Hope that helps!

Cheers Happy

Collapse -
deleting cookies permanently
by vhenk24 / October 20, 2009 10:10 AM PDT

I tried deleting and then closing immediately...they were gone for a bit, but came back...I'm at a loss.

Collapse -
I'm at a loss
by froggy56 / October 20, 2009 10:33 AM PDT

Sorry, that's all I've been able to find out.

I'm interested to know WHY you want to delete them, anyway. It isn't something I've bothered about.

Just curious.

Cheers

Collapse -
at a loss
by vhenk24 / October 20, 2009 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm at a loss

I like to keep my machine clean...esp. with a new one...

Collapse -
deleting cookies
by vhenk24 / October 21, 2009 9:55 AM PDT

I was wrong...I removed them and then quit Safari in the top bar (not sure of the terminology) and it seems to have worked. Thank you for the tip. Have a good one.

Collapse -
another option...
by Mr. Gregg / October 20, 2009 1:28 AM PDT

"Assuming that you're using Safari as your browser (you don't say which browser you're using), to remove cookies, go to Safari preferences, then to the Security tab, click Show Cookies. From there, you can choose to remove individual cookies, or remove them all."

Also, to remove all cookies, you can go to the Safari Menu, select Reset Safari... then click the box to remove them.

Collapse -
another option...
by vhenk24 / October 20, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: another option...

Thank you...and I apologize...I am using Safari. I've tried both of those options, but all of the cookies return after a few minutes.

Collapse -
You don't have to accept cookies
by Mr. Gregg / October 21, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: another option...

In your Safari Preferences, under Security, you can select "Never" for cookies. It's up to you.

I would have thought one could specify the size of the Cache as well. I don't see that anywhere, and it's not in Safari Help as far as I could determine.

Collapse -
yes and no
by macnerd10 / October 21, 2009 2:09 AM PDT

First of all, cookies do not hurt anybody. Second, many sites would not work if cookies are disabled, especially banking ones. I would not do it. Third, any browser can be instructed to delete cookies on exit in the preferences.

Collapse -
TinkerTool System will uninstall software too
by tom_hooker / October 14, 2009 12:38 AM PDT

macnerd10 suggested you get TinkerTool System and I agree with him 100%!
To uninstall software you would launch TinkerTool System and click on "Application" - then use the "Uninstallation Assistant"

Collapse -
Thanks!
by macnerd10 / October 14, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

Frankly, I got it recently and did not explore in detail except that it cleaned the mess left by an Onyx quit in the middle of emptying caches. Do you know by any chance if the uninstaller would remove all bits and pieces like in Windows or just the app itself? If it does remove everything, it would be a great help with something like MS Office. It was always a pain to remove it manually.

Collapse -
Not a slam-dunk
by macnerd10 / October 14, 2009 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

As I suspected, TTS only removes well drag-and-drop apps. The ones that come with the installer (there is a lot of them) are not removed well. Not an ideal for a Mac here. I have to go look elsewhere.

Collapse -
thanks.......
by candy2012 / October 14, 2009 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a slam-dunk

thanks for the help guys but is there anything like a one click apps? such as in the pc there are lots of them such as CCelaner etc. is there any like that for mac?

and also how do i delete pix that the mac came with? i tried to highlight it and hit the delete button but tht didnt work i also want to delete other languages and maybe the screensaver ( i really dont like having things on my comp. when i dont need or use them)

oh and how would i defrag. it? (idk if the mac needs to be defrag)

Collapse -
Break away from Windows,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks.......

nice to see you over on this side.

Defrag. Not really necessary with a Unix system. Sometimes it can do more harm than good.

Delete the pics that the mac came with. I guess you mean the desktop pictures that are stored in the pictures folder. Just leave them, they are not in the way and you are going to have to use at least one of them for the desktop. Same thing with the screen savers, you don't use screen savers?

The Mac does not need a great deal of maintenance, especially if it is left on all the time. It has a suite of built-in utilities called CRON jobs that run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the wee small hours of the morning.
Utilities like Onyx add a fancy interface to these jobs, and supply other interesting utilities too.

If you really feel the need to have some utilities around, Disk Warrior would be my first choice, followed by TechTool Pro.

By far the most important thing you can do to safeguard your machine and its data is to purchase a large external hard drive. Firewire preferably but USB 2.0 will suffice. Use this drive as your backup drive with Time Machine.
Having experienced two 500Gb HD crashes in the last year, I can testify that the use of the Time Machine backup to restore the disks, made it like it never even happened.

again, welcome to the Mac side

P

Collapse -
shortcuts...n registry?
by candy2012 / October 15, 2009 8:31 AM PDT

i know with the pc when u delete things such as photos there are still some files left over do this happens in the mac? or is everything deleted?there are usually shortcuts left over in the pc when i delete a photo so i use glary utilities to clean that up

also do i need to clean out the registry? if so how

and how do i know if i have snow snow leopard or if my mac is running OS X? i try looking for it but i dont see anything like it...

yea i do use the pix there r just some ugly ones which i will never use..

Thanks for the help Happy xoxox

Collapse -
Delete is (nearly) final
by macnerd10 / October 15, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

If you delete (send to trash or drag to trash a file and empty the trash under Finder>empty trash (secure empty trash), it is gone. No shortcuts. You do not need to clean out the registry. Technically, the file is not completely gone if a standard empty trash command is applied, but it gets overwritten fast and become soon unrecoverable. Secure empty trash makes the file totally unrecoverable.
To check the OS version (Snow Leopard IS OS X, actually, version 10.6), go to Apple sign and in the drop-down menu choose "about this Mac". It will tell you what OS you are running, what is the processor speed and RAM size. If you click on More, you will get the full system profile categorized by items like processor, cache, video card, apps, etc.

Collapse -
Mac Maintenance
by ibdrmac / October 16, 2009 1:08 PM PDT

If you want quick and dirty software for most all you Mac maintenance tasks, you can do no better than AppleJack 1.5. Runs when the machine won't boot in normal mode. Get it.

Collapse -
Short cuts and the registry
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 19, 2009 12:41 AM PDT

As mentioned, you don't need to "clean out the registry" on a Mac.
What was not mentioned was the reason that you don't have to do that.

There isn't a registry with OS X, it does not use such a thing.

As a new user, I would advise against AppleJack. Just my opinion.

To find what version of OS X you are using, go to the Apple at the top left corner and select About this Mac.
You will see the information in the window that pops up.
You are definitely running a version of OS X

Don't worry about the "ugly" pictures, that don't take up enough space to cause you any concern.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.