Cameras forum

General discussion

new to digital- how to make the photo smaller when emailing?

by mkaresh / May 24, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

I recently bought my first digital camera (Canon A610) and have been using Picasa to edit (am loving both of those). Right now when I attach a photo to an email it is *gigantic* (I think you know what I'm talking about- you scroll to the bottom of the email to see a nose, scroll over to see their eyeball), how do I go about making it smaller on the email? I'm exporting the photos from Picasa to My Pictures and attaching to an email from there.

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new to digital- how to make the photo smaller when emailing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new to digital- how to make the photo smaller when emailing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Picasa
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 8:27 AM PDT

I don't find an easy way to reduce the size of a photo with Picasa.

If you send the email directly from Picasa, it will reduce the photo size automatically.

If you would rather do the reduction yourself you can download the free Irfanview program and use it.

http://www.irfanview.com

With Irfanview, you open a photo and then at the top of the screen click "Image" and then click "Resize/Resample". That will present you with a page that gives you many choices for reduction size.

Collapse -
I use image resizer from microsoft!!!!
by nycboy0156 / May 27, 2006 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Picasa

This tiny program works like a dream, just hilight the pics you want to reduce in your pics folder and right click. Lets you choose from a variety of sizes and it can do a whole batch at once as well.

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

You can get it there, it's 100% FREE!!!

Collapse -
Hi ! Joe, Photo size reduction....
by christy / May 28, 2006 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Picasa

Photo size can be reduced by the physical size, i.e. the dimensions, or by the resolution (i.e. number of pixels.). What difference is there when that photo is enlarged to its origional size at the receiving end ? Obviously, if the pixels has been reduced, we cannot add them back, whereas, if only the dimensions has been changed, the same number of pixels remain ?

Thanks.

christy

Collapse -
Resize
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 28, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

This gets confusing.

You normally see the resolution set to 72, if you turn off resample and change to resolution to 300....
the file size remains the same.

The only thing that is affected is the ''printed'' size of the photo.
It will look the same on the computer screen.

At 300 you will get a small print.
but it will look really good.
At 25 you will get a large print.
but it will look poor.

If you reduce the dimensions of a photo file, you toss away some pixels and reduce the file size.

You can then take that reduced photo file and do a ''resize/resample'' and make it back to its original size.
Pixels are added by interpolation.
The result is a same size file as the original but the quality of the image is degraded.

Collapse -
Resize
by taboma / May 28, 2006 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Resize

Joe, if the original image is 22 inches wide I do a save-as down to 10".

Pixles just confuse me. Why not work with inches at 70 dpi?
After all, it is still low res at 70 dpi.
Maybe an image saved-as down to 7" wide x 5" high would be better to send over the internet at 70 DPI? Still shows up nicely to a screen image.
5"x4" would fit also. Just a thought here.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Heavens! Pixels are what a digital image is composed of.
by Kiddpeat / May 29, 2006 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Resize

If you throw them away, you are losing part of the image. Without resampling, changing an image's size merely changes the number of pixels displayed in an inch or centimeter or whatever unit of measure you use. I hope you're not taking an image which is 1,540 pixels wide (22 x 70ppi) and saving it with a width of 700 pixels (10 x 70ppi). If you are, you are throwing away more than half of your image data. What usually happens is that you keep the 1,540 pixels, but display them in 10 inches (154ppi) rather than 22 (70ppi).

However, if you are really sure that you never want to see anything more than 70ppi with a width of 7 inches, then you should resample the image. The result will be a width of 490 pixels.

BTW, I know dpi is bandied about the internet as synonymous with ppi. It really isn't. Most usage of dpi applies to inkjets these days, and it means dots per inch. That's not the same thing as pixels per inch. My printer's lowest setting is 720dpi, and its highest is 2880dpi. That does NOT mean I need images with 2880 ppi.

Collapse -
Picasa and Outlook Express
by eric1514 / May 29, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

If you start your email session in Picasa, the program will resize any and all photos you select.

What I mean is, start Picasa. Select the photo you want to email. It will show up in the "tray" at the lower left. Click the hold button to keep it there. Do this with every photo you want to send.

When you are finished, click the email button and you will be given the opportunity to select your email program. All photos will be attached and resized when you send the mail.

Eric

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.