Phones forum

General discussion

New to Cell phones

by Boothbay / March 5, 2012 10:55 PM PST

Guess i am what they call a Johnny come lately sort. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Samsung T301G prepaid plan, to try it out. Getting "LIVE" support is next to I hope I can get some insight in cellphones here. If not, perhaps you can steer me in the right direction. As for the phone, i mainly keep it for emergency's, as a senior. ..hoping of course never to need it. No one has the phone number that i have with one. Now, that being said, I keep hearing it ring from time to time and when i check to see the call wait number, they are of course not familiar. The one rare moment i was able to get a live support and mentioned this, the girl said perhaps giving me another number may help. it didn't..Out of curiosity i called one of those numbers and it was coming from Tracfone ( my company ) trying to get me to buy more minutes. i am assuming that is why i keep getting calls. I also see when i do try to see the time on my phone, I see that i have to unlock it. It seems when not in use, it locks itself. If that is what is happening, then how can someone call me, including Tracfone? Also I found that if I should ever use it, I am being charged minutes not only for my call, which is understandable, but I am also paying the recipient's time. That is a bummer. Is this true for all cellphones? Finally, those more expensive phones that have many app's as they are you use up minutes by utilizing them? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New to Cell phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New to Cell phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better late than never, I say
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2012 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: New to Cell phones

Yes, it is possible that you have received a cellular number that recently and previously was assigned to someone else. Keep in mind these erroneous calls may subside if you give it some more time. If not, then indeed- calling up customer support with Tracfone may be a way to determine if they can assign you another cellular number. If it's always Tracfone trying to market you more services and/or minutes, there may be a way for you to 'opt out' of such telemarketing calls. If not, changing prepaid providers may be another way to avoid this nuisance.

When a handset is 'locked', it means a specific key command, or series of key commands is required to 'wake up' the phone so you can dial a number, etc. This is a method of avoiding accidental dialing. The phone isn't off in the sense that you cannot receive calls from others, it just won't dial w/o first pressing the unlocking sequence.

While it's true that you use your minutes when calling, you aren't using 'double minutes' on the other end. You will however have minutes deducted when someone calls you. The only U.S. provider that I am aware of that doesn't charge for incoming calls/minutes is U.S. cellular, but that' s postpaid, not prepaid service. (=$$$).

Using apps (applications) on smartphones/cell phones doesn't use up minutes but if the application requires a data connection, that uses up part of your monthly allotment of data. Typically for postpaid plans this is around 2GB per month. Keep in mind all apps don't require internet to use. For example, many games don't need to use data, they are simply installed on the device and used as desired.

Collapse -
New to Cellphones
by Boothbay / March 10, 2012 3:35 AM PST

Thanks, let me get this understood..i make a call, my minutes get used up, not the other party. I get a call from someone, including Tracfone trying to sell me minutes, and my minutes get used up too? If the latter is true, than that is a deceiving way to get me to use up my minutes so i can buy more before i run out.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 10, 2012 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: New to Cellphones

....but that is how airtime is billed/used in the US. When you make a call to another cellular phone, you both use airtime (incoming and outgoing). This is clearly stipulated in the Terms & Conditions and always has been that way. If your provider calls you or you call them, it does not use airtime.

Nothing new and while some carriers offer free calls to/from the same cellular carrier, but not all carriers do.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.