MacBooks forum

New to Apple products, MBp or PC laptop?

by RaceTheReaper / March 26, 2013 3:32 AM PDT

I am sure this is not a new topic, but I need some help. I am not the biggest tech guy and am starting school again to upgrade my skill set at work (paramedic). I will be using this computer mainly for school and completing online assignments. In our house we have 2 iPhones an ipad and are looking into Apple TV. I have quite a bit of music and movies through iTunes and also have an external HD with movies and what not on it. I also watch a lot of YouTube online and do not really play any video games on the computer. I have a desktop PC that is basically useless so this would be the primary computer in the house, we simply use the desktop to run the Internet and check work stuff online. I am just not sure what to do here and would like anyone's feedback on what to purchase with my given situation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New to Apple products, MBp or PC laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New to Apple products, MBp or PC laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My nod is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

To the basic MacBook Air. That cheap one. It's really great and will integrate with what you have without all the weight.

As to SCHOOL. ASK THEM if this will do. It will for most.

Collapse -
by RaceTheReaper / March 26, 2013 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: My nod is

Would I be able to write reports and what not on the air? I am not certain if the assignments re filled out online or completed in a word processor and sent in. Also there will most likely be PowerPoint style presentations, will the MacBook Air be able to handle that well?

Collapse -
Absolutely. More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Air covers this FREE powerpoint compatible app or rather suite.

I can imagine you asking if this could handle this years ago but the current machines are quite advanced.

If you go with a Windows laptop, well there are thousands to choose from but I like to check the best sellers at Amazon for a gander at what folk are picking up.
Collapse -
MacBook Air
by onemoremile / April 12, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

I agree with Bob. Try out the 11 inch and the 13 inch models to learn which you prefer. The air will do everything you need and much more. The acquisition cost will be a little higher than a Windows machine; the ore-installed software and not needing to pay for security software will save you some dollars. The Mac will be trouble-free and easy to use and you will appreciate the small size and light weight.

Good luck with your classes!

Collapse -
by joo003464 / April 28, 2013 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: MacBook Air

Thank's for you great reply & I with you . . .

Collapse -
Go for Mac
by macwintech / April 27, 2013 12:50 PM PDT

First of All as you mentioned your house is using many Apple products so it will be easy to sync stuff around with a mac rather than PC.

Secondly you can choose to have Macbook air 13" or Macbook pro 13". I don't suggest Mac AIr 11" as we repair those a lot and board usually gives problem.
If you want cheaper option then you can go for Apple refurbished Macbook pro. Pro is better than Air as it can be upgraded in future and upgrade cost is much less compared to Air. Also repair parts for Pro are cheaper than Air.

MBP will give you plenty of storage and pretty good speed. Later you can plug in SSD in it so overall cost wise MBP is better. OS X is same so doesn't matter which machine you have.

Apple Engineer @ Macwin Technology

Message was edited by moderator on 04/29/2013 8:38AM to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.