Computer Help forum

new system backup discs

by ssteven42 / September 4, 2012 12:08 PM PDT

Thank you for your help in advance. I just purchased a new computer Saturday from one of the big box stores. HP P7 1234 64 bit. When I got it home I noticed there are no system discs included with the system.
Called B*** B** back they said no discs come with the system, but we can make you a copy of the OS and drivers for 169.00 WHAT......I told the guy that's wrong you want me to pay for something that I already bought. Well don't know what to tell you, 169.00 and I'll give you want. Here is my question. Is there a way to get discs for this system ? Everything I touch goes to he** P.S. The cash Pirates at HP were no help either. Please help ( old man on his knees begging) Thank you Steve

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new system backup discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new system backup discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You can ask HP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2012 12:40 PM PDT

But this is how it is today. You create these recovery disks.

I see you already asked but we are talking about a dollar of DVD recordable media.

Collapse -
PS. And after you make those discs. Duplicate them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: You can ask HP

Folk have posted in the forums they lost or scratched the media they created. Since the disc can be duplicated, and is about one dollar, it's a dollar well spent.

Collapse -
Regarding the $169.00 ..
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

that you were quoted, that is simply the fee they expect for doing something that you could and should have done the first time you booted the PC after buying it. They are not going to do that work for free as it can take some time and time is something they get paid for. They do it as a service because some people simply prefer to have someone else do the work for them and just get the finished product. The choice is always yours.

Here are HP instructions for you to sit down and do the job yourself:

"The advantages to creating recovery discs from your computer are: they are less costly than ordering, can be created faster than the time it takes to have them shipped, and the discs you create usually recover software faster than other types of recovery discs for your computer. However, due to software licensing, only one set of recovery discs can be created."

Those instructions also include how to save a recovery image to a USB drive and the page linked to ALSO explains how you can recover your PC WITHOUT recovery disks (but it is BEST to make the disks or image because if the hard drive crashes the recovery partition is gone too).

Have fun!

Collapse -
Recovery disks
by pgc3 / September 5, 2012 12:27 AM PDT

Making your own disks isn't that hard, in the programs list, with an HP system, it is generally listed under PC Help and tools, it will tell you how many disks (DVD'S) to use and the type, typically I have used DVD-R and I have done quite a few Hp units, Win Vista and 7. Just get a cup of coffee and be prepared to sit for a while it is a slightly boring task and requires a bit of patience but it really is not that difficult. Just remember to mark the disks, 1,2,3 and so on, store them in a safe location in case you should need them in future.

Collapse -
Make your own
by Willy / September 5, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

You can do one of two things, (1) return the PC or (2) create discs from the HP provided process. Buy, DVD-R+ blank discs. Then either use the advise they have on their quick start or on system manual, print it out. -OR- find this same info at the HP support website for your model#.

There should be a menu item for making "recovery/restore discs". NOW!!! this is important, this is a one shot deal, so be sure you're ready. The flip side to this is newer systems have already a recovery/restore partition located on the hard drive. Check using the "computer" icon and see if more than the "C" drive is found, if "D" is present, click n it to verify what's there but don't actually do anything just verify. The above advise applies still for making restore/recovery discs.

$169, IMHO is rip-off but that's the BB way of making $. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How to Create a System Image in Windows 7
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

There are a number of great links on this topic in Google, but the process is simple and it's all native within Windows 7.. First, open the Control Panel, then click on the "Backup and Restore" link. (Some choose to Click on "Start" go to "Getting Started" and then select "Back up your files".) Once there, click on "Create a System Image" and follow the instructions to place blank DVD+R disc in the drive and make a full system image of your hard drive. Be sure to select all the drives you want to include in the system image. Depending on the amount of data on the hard drive, you'll probably need a least two disc, and in some cases, I've required seven on a new HP machine.

Once you're done creating the System Image, also select to create the "System Repair Disc".. It will be needed should you need to restore everything from a new hard drive, should your current one take a drive.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by SoMeAmCheron / September 24, 2012 7:32 AM PDT

Hi ssteven42,
I am sorry to hear about your experience with B***B** and HP. I work for HP and if you need assistance regarding the recovery media please email me your product and contact information to Please include in the subject line Attn: Veronica-Cnet.
"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.