Samsung forum

Rant

New Syncmaster LED Monitor colors destroyed

by LifeHHO / February 26, 2013 2:45 AM PST

I recently bought new Samsung SyncMaster S22B300B. Its colors were awesome. To play with its settings comfortably using mouse, I installed Samsung MagicTune (version 4.0.12 on Windows 7 32 bit). There are two calibration options in it. MagicWizard, and Color Calibrtaion. I ran them both and damn.

Now it looks even uglier then those cheap hp LCD monitors in my computer lab. Not even close to any laptop screen. Either it is too bright that I can not see the white boxes (grey levels) from 244-254 http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php or too dark to distinguish 1-15 http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php when I calibrate colors/gamma using MagicTune

e.g.
colors either look like this

or

or both extreme black and white levels are invisible at a time.

I thought these calibration settings are stored in windows, I attached this monitor to the laptop and it gave the same result. Resetting monitor settings did nothing after this MagicWizard thing. It destroyed its beautiful colors. Now the clouds look plain white where shades are low. Looks like those settings are stored in monitor permanently.

Is there anyway to hard reset? To take all the settings back?

I asked this question here as well
http://superuser.com/questions/557510/calibrations-settings-stored-in-monitor
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67591-3-samsung-monitor-colors-calibration#t413751

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Syncmaster LED Monitor colors destroyed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Syncmaster LED Monitor colors destroyed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I have tried yet
by LifeHHO / February 26, 2013 2:55 AM PST

I have tried:
- Uninstalling MagicTune, color profile, re installing newer version from CD
- Detaching VGA cable, turning off monitor, detaching power cable
- Attaching monitor to a laptop
- Lowering down brightness and contrast

MagicAngle: off
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 0

MagicAngle: off
Contrast: 50

MagicAngle: All MagicAngle configs
Contrast: 50

None of above made the extreme white and dark levels visible.
Collapse -
New Syncmaster LED Monitor colors destroyed
by LifeHHO / February 26, 2013 2:59 PM PST

Anyone from Samsung??

Collapse -
Re: New Syncmaster LED Monitor colors destroyed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 6:23 AM PST

Hi LifeHHO,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the monitor. Have you tried pressing the physical menu button on the monitor then: Menu > Setup & Reset > Reset?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by LifeHHO / February 27, 2013 5:49 PM PST

Yes, Obviously. It was the first thing I did. And I have been doing it many times since then. What I have guessed till now is that as this LCD can be used through software, it is programmable. If I detach it, while using through MagicTune, and connect to a laptop or another PC, it does not allow using buttons and keep saying to use MagicTune.

The MagicWizard most probably (or perhaps magic calibration) does something deeper that is not given in menu (I saw some quick black stripes on full screen when used this wizard) which as a result is not reconfigurable with options available to user.

I wonder if there is a way to take it back to the settings it was shipped with.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 5:23 AM PST

Hi LifeHHO,

OK, thanks for letting me know that. Try this instead: Press the Menu button and then press and hold the Enter button (between the up button and the Auto button) for 5 seconds.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by LifeHHO / March 1, 2013 5:14 AM PST

I really wish I could have tried that, I took monitor to nearest Samsung Customer Care center a few hours after my previous post. I that a way to Hard Reset (it is called factory reset when I searched for this 5 minute holding on enter button), or it will bring some special menu to play with some special settings?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2013 6:05 AM PST

Hi LifeHHO,

I tired it on my own monitor. It's supposed to be a factory reset; I have a model in a similar series with the same reset, so I tried it on mine, and it changed my settings back to their defaults. So hopefully, it would have had the desirable effect on yours.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by LifeHHO / March 2, 2013 10:02 PM PST

I got it back from C&C. They asked me to get it replaced. I tried it, only thing different this time was that it asked me to select the language. All the colors remained same.
I never imagined that Samsung's own software MagicTune can do something horrible.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2013 7:17 AM PST
Collapse -
by LifeHHO / April 25, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

Got full new LED replaced in warranty Happy They just took one month

Collapse -
by LifeHHO / March 1, 2013 5:16 AM PST

They have my monitor. They might tell today if they have corrected it or it is to be sent back for warranty claim.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.