Computer Help forum

New router causes downloads to freeze, and in same spot

by FrolloDM / September 6, 2013 11:16 PM PDT

Running Windows 7, router is Belkin, hardware: F9K1112 v1

Whenever I try to do a download longer than a minute, like a youtube video or a windows update, the download will hang indefinitely, and always at the same spot. Sometimes if I restart the download, it may inch a bit, but still gets frozen.

I've run CC cleaner to no avail, but I'm fairly certain the computer has nothing to do with it, as this started happening with the new router. Could someone tell me why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New router causes downloads to freeze, and in same spot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New router causes downloads to freeze, and in same spot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So it works with the old router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

Why would you work on your PC if the new router is what changed?

For example, in your past you learned about Control Groups ( ) and you change one thing at a time to see where the issue is.

Here you changed the router but then began tinkering with the PC instead of the router.
Maybe there's more to this story but as it stands, it's not the PC.

Collapse -
Can't say, but problem might be something else
by FrolloDM / September 7, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

The timing of the internet hanging and the new router could be coincidental, but like I said, this happens to all downloads. Maybe this will help:

Trying to download Windows Update. Can't get past 47%. Gives me error 80200010, meaning it loses its connection to the internet shortly after it starts. Download managers can get past some downloads, but not windows updates.

This does not apply to Netflix, which works more or less flawlessly. In addition, anything that requires a constant internet connection like an online game works fine too. A workaround for youtube is to refresh the page once it freezes, and repeat when it inevitably freezes again.

It's likely limited to my computer, as trying to download the same windows update on the other computer goes through fine.

In short, every long download drops my internet connection about ten seconds after it starts up. If what I'm trying to download has no way to reconnect, then it dies.

All Answers

Collapse -
Keep in mind Youtube downloader often have malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2013 11:01 AM PDT finds plenty of prior discussions but since you have a Youtube downloader I fear there is something extra in the machine.

Try Grif's advice since scans will take some time. Use that time to read other complaints about that error code.

Here's Grif ->;msg5099421

And you bring up a great question such as, isn't it about time Microsoft fix these update errors? It's just a download of a bunch of bits. So what if the internet drops out. Pick up where you left off (that's to MSFT, not you.)
Collapse -
Wired or Wireless?
by sunwatcher / September 7, 2013 11:35 AM PDT

If this problem is limited to your wireless connection, then try a wired connection.

If the wired connection works without issue, then you may want to try checking for firmware updates for both the router and your PC's wireless adapter.

Some wireless devices just fail to get along. That Belkin seems to be a fairly recently released router. You can try contacting the manufacturer for resolution. If you continue to have problems, you may want to consider replacing the router with a different make and/or model.

Collapse -
It's related to the computer, wired or wireless
by FrolloDM / September 7, 2013 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Wired or Wireless?

I've tried both, and the same thing happens on either computer.

Running the spyware/malware scans listed above. I don't think that Windows error is worth looking into specifically, because that update problem is just one example of many where downloads hang midway through. I just thought it might provide some info as to why my computer is doing that.

It could be a program that I have on these computers called Webblocker, which is noted by a cartoon spider. Might that have something to do with it?

Collapse -
by sunwatcher / September 7, 2013 10:39 PM PDT

Webblocker is normally run by businesses. Is this a work computer? Is it connected through a VPN or proxy server? Why not try uninstalling Webblocker (if you can)?

Your first post seems to suggest that you began having the issues after installing the new router. Are you able to hook the old one back to help isolate the issue?

Collapse -
Two home computers
by FrolloDM / September 8, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Webblocker

Can't find webblocker on list of uninstallabe programs, so I assume it's gone.

There are three computers at the house, and two of them in my room have the issue while the one in the living room doesn't. Strangely, when I move one of the two (the laptop) to campus, it downloads just fine. Sadly I can't find the new router, though I don't think it would improve as I tried using the laptop on a direct connection, and it still couldn't get through the download hang.

Collapse -
Specific dropped connections
by FrolloDM / September 8, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Two home computers

Near as I can tell, the problem lies in my connection (on these computers only) getting dropped. Streaming or torrent downloads aren't affected, because they pick it back up, but others are. And even those can slow down as a result of this. The source of the problem couldn't be removed by the malware/spyblockers given above, so my best guess is that something on the computers is interrupting my internet connection sporadically. Any way to find out what it is?

Collapse -
torrent ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 3:47 AM PDT

As there are companies that mount a denial of service attack on torrent users I find it very hard to give torrent users any good answer other than stop doing that for awhile.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.