Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Hardware

Question

New RAM memory issues

by Exterminatus / December 1, 2012 6:00 AM PST

Hey guys,

recently I purchased new RAM memory for my desktop. It is 16GB Gskill RipjawsX 1600Mhz, with 10-10-10-30 timing. I installed it, set proper timings and speed in BIOS, and after a few minutes of work, I got BSOD. When I restarted my PC, it said it could not load my graphic card drivers. I downloaded newest one from nVidia site, I thought it might be a problem because I was using beta drivers. But the same thing happen. I went and reset speed and timings to auto, which is 1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24, and since then it is working properly, which is some 2-3 hours. I was hoping someone can help me with this problem.

Anyway, my configuration is:
AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
nVidia GeForce GTX480
WD 1TB HD.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New RAM memory issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New RAM memory issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Did you contact GSkill ? Did you increase the RAM voltage ?
by VAPCMD / December 1, 2012 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: New RAM memory issues
Collapse -
Answer
Auto setting
by Willy / December 1, 2012 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: New RAM memory issues

Under such circumstances it's telling you what's best to operate at or safe level. Even, if the ram is capable the other half is the mtrbd., etc. to keep pace. If you hadn't yet, look into the bios update level. if it has moved beyond your current level, it's a good bet it handles ram better. It's worth the upgrade provided it addresses ram issues. The mere fact you set the ram level manually says it needs help. As already post to you, up the voltage, .01 until its happy. Allow to work with higher voltage but don't push it. If you install in *ALL* ram slots, timing can be a critical issue long posted for yrs. as a critical factor for ram.

A good check is to view the ram status response using PCWizard 2012 and read that all ram is actually the same, regardless of what the sticker states on ram itself. Google for PCWizard to install it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
New issues
by Exterminatus / December 2, 2012 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: Auto setting

I don't think the speed or timings are the problem. I tried reinstalling my old RAM, and I also got BSOD while trying to download GW2.I ran memtest and it came back with approx. 7k errors. I ran memtest with new RAM and I got 40k errors on first pass. The BSOD I was getting before was irql_not_less_or_equal, now I am getting pfn_list_corrupt stop 0x0000004e.

Also, my computer would work for hour or two, but as soon as I would try to download something (the only thing I actually tried downloading was GW2) it would get BSOD.

Collapse -
Memtest
by bob b / December 2, 2012 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: New issues

If you can't get memtest to run error free.....stop.
Use memtest as your test vehicle and fix the machine.

Since you have ram faults you want to see 12>24 hrs of memtest with zero errors.

Collapse -
So ram errors
by Willy / December 3, 2012 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: New issues

If you don't think ram is the problem, what's left? that's the mtrbd. and all it entails. Further, you state now you have errors during tests, so you basically know there's a problem. That should have all been posted in the 1st post, so answers can get to the point. Now, from POV there's really nothing that can be done because it relies on the mtrbd. to be fixed or patched. As i stated, if a bios level is behind, do that as a last resort. You clean out the ram slots as well with alcohol and toothbrush, allow to dry and then retry ram. if the problem persists, it maybe better to get a mtrbd. replacement. Since this also happens with old ram too. You should also look for "bad caps", even a minor weak cap with cause issues, plus a PSU swap to check as a stable power test. Otherwise, you're left with a mtrbd. problem if nothing seems to fix it. I would do a tear down place on cardboard and test that way, one item at a time for basic or minimum system. because it works and then BSOD when you try to d/l suggest that really you're in a ram stack that hasn't been reached yet, so effectively you enter a ram area and then "poof". You're hitting whatever is causing ram issue.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.