TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

New Problem-Bose Solo does not play audio from BluRay disc

by max43well / September 22, 2012 1:34 PM PDT

Yes, I have another problem with the Bose Solo soundbar. I appreciate the feedback I have received thus far with the problems I have been having in attempting to get this soundbar to work with the equipment that I have.

There is no audio output from the Bose Solo on Blu-Ray discs. This problem only occurs with Blu-Ray discs. Regular DVD discs the Bose outputs the audio fine.
Also, there is audio on the blu-ray disc only on the 'Main Menu' part of the disc, once I select 'Play Movie' the audio is lost.
The Bose is connected directly to the blu-ray player via an optical (Toslink) cable. (The blu-ray player is connected to the HDTV with an HDMI cable for the video.)
With the Bose connected directly to the blu-ray player I simply do not understand why it will not provide audio for blu-ray discs. There is a bright red glow at the end of the optical cable that plugs into the Bose, so I know it is getting a signal.
Any ideas???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Problem-Bose Solo does not play audio from BluRay disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Problem-Bose Solo does not play audio from BluRay disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which blu ray player?
by Pepe7 / September 22, 2012 3:42 PM PDT

make/model?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do not send it any 5.1 or such surround sound.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 2:14 PM PDT

You'll want to send it stereo or PCM.

Collapse -
Answer
This is not how it is intended to be used
by Pepe7 / September 22, 2012 3:36 PM PDT

You need to only use the HDTV to Bose connection, not the Blu Ray to Bose connection. It's not a full fledged AV receiver, which could actually handle multiple inputs.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree 100%
by ahtoi / September 23, 2012 1:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Problem solved.
by max43well / September 23, 2012 2:04 AM PDT

Thanks for the replies! As recommended, I opened the blu-ray players menu, and settings, and under audio I changed the setting from 'Bitstream HD' to 'PCM'. This was all I had to do to get the audio to play on the blu-ray disc.

Thank you R. Proffitt for your recommended fix. That did the trick.

Collapse -
Answer
audio format
by maclam83 / January 4, 2013 8:46 AM PST

The SoLo only supports Dolby soundtracks and does not support DTS soundtracks. If your BluRay movie only does DTS for surround sound, then de-select this and select PCM stereo (if possible) in your movie settings. This should work. To verify your movie soundtrack format, you can usually find the audio logo on the back of the movie's case or on the disc itself. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer
hooking up bose solo to bluray dvd player
by starrigger / April 10, 2013 2:13 AM PDT

I had same problem. Got my son over and he hooked it up .
your bluray has to be hooked to your tv by hdmi cable.
take the fibre optic cable and hook it from the TV to the Bose solo. Do not hook any other audio wires from the bluray to TV.
start a bluray dvd movie.
using your tv control go to input, this should show you the connections available. My LG says component for tv and HDMI for bluray. Select HDMI. You shpuld now have sound playing from bluray movie. mine is awsome.

Collapse -
hooking up bose solo to blueray dvd player
by vsmetc / October 18, 2014 11:28 AM PDT

Thanks for the help. It works perfectly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.