Windows 7 forum

new pop up page is this new?

by Chinookman / May 31, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

I just noticed that now when I visit any page that oft time a new page pops up and say something about it popping up due to a browser extension.

I use FF and W-7 x64 so what needs to be done to block these annoying pop up pages?

Thank you,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new pop up page is this new?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new pop up page is this new?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please post exact message
by wpgwpg / May 31, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

I'm using Windows 7 x64 with Firefox 21, and am not seeing these messages. My guess is that this is coming from some add-on you have, but we'd need to see the exact message to be more explicit.

Collapse -
well yes that's exactly
by Chinookman / May 31, 2013 11:06 AM PDT

what it says....the few extensions I have are ghostery for blocking trackers, Xmarks, colorful tabs,IE tab, avast web rep, and that's it...hope this helps.

Collapse -
Sort of
by Jimmy Greystone / May 31, 2013 12:08 PM PDT

Sort of. You could be getting some popup related to the avast extension if you came across a site that is somewhat questionable. But knowing the EXACT error message would still be very helpful.

Collapse -
here is tad bit more info...
by Chinookman / May 31, 2013 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Sort of

yellow background line below says:This page delivered to you by a web browser extension Click here to learn more.

IF that line is clicked it opens up a new window with this URL:

in a new page. If there was way to attach a file or paste a snap shot I would just don't know if it can be done.

OK, that's the extent of info on the pop up that just happened while checking this post. If this still does not help well guess I'll live with it.

I did use the 'NoScript' and it cripples every website unless it gets white listed. It is more severe then Ghostery no doubt about it...!

Collapse -
I can't check that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
just added WOT
by Chinookman / June 1, 2013 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I can't check that.

I will remove the 'no script' and use WOT for the weekend see how it behaves and stops the new page pop ups.....You folks a great appreciate your help....

Collapse -
I tried going to that site
by itsdigger / June 1, 2013 1:44 AM PDT

and the page wouldn't even load . I'm on Linux using FF/w AdBlock Plus. Don't know what that means but there it is...Digger

Collapse -
That's the point
by Jimmy Greystone / June 1, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

That's the point. NoScript blocks all scripts by default, which is exactly what you want. That way, if by chance you go to some website with a bad script in it, it is never run unless you specifically enable it, at which point it's your own fault.

Web of Trust is all well and good as a supplement to NoScript, but it's no substitute for NoScript. Plenty of very reputable sites, like CNet for example, outsource the serving up of banner ads. It will routinely happen that an ad is served up on a reputable site which has been rigged to execute a script that tries to exploit some known flaw, or flaws, in web browsers like Internet Explorer. That, in a very simplistic nutshell, is the essence of a cross-site scripting (XSS) attack. The suspect content isn't coming from the site you're visiting, it's being loaded from some third party site.

Just for example, looking at this particular page right now, NoScript lists scripts from the following non-CNet/CBS domains: (keeps tabs on what links you click on and other things), (another marketing oriented spy script), (the third marketing oriented script designed to spy on your behavior while on this site), (see the past three examples), (ad banner fulfillment), (think we all know what that one is), (more marketing spyware), and finally (integration to social networks like Facebook and Twitter). So that's five distinct sites with the express purpose of keeping tabs on your activities while on this site, viglink is the outsourced ad banner provider, and CBS is using a third party to handle it's integration with the likes of Facebook. If any one of those EIGHT different websites is ever compromised and malicious code is put into the scripts served up on CNet sites, Web of Trust won't do a thing to help you, but NoScript will. That's just for these forums alone, other sites are pretty much the same.

NoScript is a bit of a pain to get set up, but it's a choice between a little bit of pain spread out over a long period of time vs a large amount of pain all at once if you end up having to clean up the aftermath of one wrong click.

Collapse -
good clarification made more sense to me
by Chinookman / June 1, 2013 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: That's the point

I did find this little ****** in the FF add on

"MiaigNiPiC 1.5" so it has been disables and will remove it shortly. A google search did not turn up a description of what this little beauty does.

we will see.

Collapse -
I think it is now all gone...
by Chinookman / June 1, 2013 1:58 PM PDT

Since I removed that little add on the pop ups have stopped.

Our house is crazy with grand kids and moving so I may have used the lap top at first and did not see this until I came back to the desk top and saw the
"MiaigNiPiC 1.5" add on.......

I think we can close this out....and I did learn of more new apps for ad blocking and that was all good......Thanks folks.....

Collapse -
by ramhams1337 / July 1, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

when ever i open a new tab the ( if i for examble right click and press open in new tab) it just changes the side to that thing. it's ******* annoying

All Answers

Collapse -
Why not less add ins?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 3:11 AM PDT

And why not add our favorites such as AdBlock+ and Web Of Trust (WOT)?

Collapse -
Don't forget NoScript
by Jimmy Greystone / May 31, 2013 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not less add ins?

Don't want to forget NoScript which can do wonders to help protect against XSS attacks and plenty of other things.

Collapse -
by Chinookman / May 31, 2013 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't forget NoScript

I'll track this down and take a look see.....have a good weekend....

Collapse -
I've added two
by Chinookman / May 31, 2013 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not less add ins?

Two of the suggested ad blockers are now installed.....I will see how this works out over the weekend

Thanks everyone

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.