PC Hardware

Resolved Question

new pc parts, no power! help

by cianBuckley / November 8, 2012 1:48 AM PST

Hi,
I've just upgraded parts in my PC. was a few years old, built it myself then too. Got new motherboard, ram and processor. Connected everything and power lasted literally 1 second, then died and i cannot turn it back on again. So i assumed it was the motherboard at fault, and got it replaced. New motherboard arrives and i have the exact same problem! If i connect my old parts, my 850w power supply has no problem driving all incl an ati 6950 gpu. Now seems to not have power with new parts even without gpu
new parts:
processor :i5-3570K
motherboard: gigabyte z77-ds3h
ram: 8gb (2x4) crosair vengence 1600mhz
psu: Cute AP-850AS (Not cheap in its day)
cannot power this fella on with/without ram, with/without gpu.. please help

cianBuckley has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new pc parts, no power! help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new pc parts, no power! help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by cianBuckley

Collapse -
Remember I'm not there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 1:57 AM PST

So I can't look for extra mounting stud shorting out the backside or a CMOS reset jumper in the wrong position or a missing CMOS battery. The list is very long and you can find it by going to google and typing in THE DEAD PC.

http://apcmag.com/icute_850_watt_psu.htm is the PSU so if it's dead, it's covered.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Check and verify
by Willy / November 8, 2012 2:05 AM PST

Are you re-using the PSU from old PC as in 850W PSU? If so, try "balancing" the load, reconnect or swap leads around, maybe 1 leg of PSU is getting a heavy load. It should after all work, IMHO, However, if this is an older PSU, it may have exceeded its limits once wear&tear had they're way and time came to quit under newer heavy PSU stresses. At the same time, be 100% sure all connections are proper. Also, you should make this PC build as simple and low level as possible so power demands remain low. recheck your work, take nothing for granted, as in shorts, bad connects, Next time, unplug the AC cord and allow it to sit, then reconnect after 5-10min. and retry booting, etc. If at all possible , review the bios setting and verify it's OK. review the manual as well to see if all was done as it should be.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by cianBuckley / November 8, 2012 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Check and verify

yes its the same psu from my old build. But if i plug it back in with all the old components, the power supply gives no trouble - this is why i initially thought it was the new motherboard that was giving out, so i had it replaced. Got the new one and now i have the same issue.. It wouldnt be that they are somehow incompatible? even though all the connections are the same and psu rating is well above what should be needed to power what i have..

Collapse -
When changing motherboards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I've lost count of extra mounting stud issues.

You can test this by powering up out side the case. I take the PSU, motherboard and can power up with just 2 parts. It's a tech troubleshooting trick you learn over the years.
Bob

Collapse -
your bang on!
by cianBuckley / November 8, 2012 2:51 AM PST

your right! thats absolutely fantastic! so... i need a new case then?? or find and file away the unneeded mounting stud?? thanks a lot for your help. i never would have thought of that being an issue.. the case like..

Collapse -
You don't want to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: your bang on!

I take Vise Grips to the old stud and either unscrew or bend it back and forth to break off. It's a minor bit of surgery.
Bob

Collapse -
So you tested outside the case and it worked as expected ?
by VAPCMD / November 8, 2012 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: your bang on!

This is something every builder should do when building or upgrading the MB .... test the motherboard CPU, RAM, etc. OUTSIDE THE CASE. Builders waste so much time cramming, jamming, connecting, etc. only to find something doesn't work or they mounted something wrong. Painful and frustrating to say the least. If you don't believe me...do a search and see how many times people have this problem and how many times those responding recommend this method or course of action to troubleshoot the problem.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Glad you got it...
by Willy / November 8, 2012 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I did mention "shorts" and not take anything for granted.

Further, no permanent damage was done, so good luck. Take what you learned and garish from in future builds.

adios -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.