Computer Help forum

General discussion

New PC - old Hard drive

by paulsuttle / February 18, 2013 11:12 PM PST

Hi, I have a new PC, the old one stopped booting up (mother board problem) I've salvaged the sole hard drive from it, and I want to recover the data I have on the old drive, photo's mp3's etc. Is it just a case of pluging in the old drive to the new PC, and recovering the data, or is it more involved?

Thanks
Paul

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC - old Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC - old Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very common.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 11:26 PM PST

Many will put the old drive into some USB case so it becomes a backup drive too. Let's be sure your plan is to add this as a second or data drive and not to boot from.
Bob

Collapse -
HD
by paulsuttle / February 19, 2013 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Very common.

hi Bob
I'll use the HD as a back up drive once I've recovered the data from it, if I can that is. I'll use the new HD in the new PC to boot from.
thanks
Paul

Collapse -
In SATA, all drives are master.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: HD

So no jumpers. As to file permissions and ownership, google that with words like.

Windows 7 TAKE OWNERSHIP OF FILES.
Bob

Collapse -
Hd
by paulsuttle / February 19, 2013 1:59 AM PST

Thanks for your help, hopefully it'll work.

Collapse -
Windows XP
by paulsuttle / February 19, 2013 3:22 AM PST

Hi again, just wondering, if I plug this HD into the new PC, it'll be running windows 8, so to access the files on the old HD, which ran Windows XP, will that make a difference, am I looking for ownership on files for XP or windows 8?

Collapse -
That's why you change the search terms as needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Windows XP

Change 7 to 8 in my example.

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / February 18, 2013 11:29 PM PST

That's pretty much it, provided the proper connections and all. If required you will need to allow "possession of it or ownership, google the term, otherwise its seen as a 2nd HD and thus retrieve data. Excluding any true h/w fault, you can recover data. If you have an EIDE(PATA) type connection because you have an old HD, then consider using an adapter -OR- ext. USB enclosure to mount the old HD. Many newer PC are SATA type connections, so take that into consideration if such.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
HD
by paulsuttle / February 19, 2013 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Look into...

Hi Willy
The HD has sata connections so that shouldn't be a problem, as far as I know theres no h/w problems with the drive, just the motherboard.
I'll have to look up the possesion of/ownership, is that the same as master a slave drives? Would I need to change any jumper connections to tell pc which is master?

Collapse -
I suggest...
by Willy / February 19, 2013 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: HD

SATA drives don't fall for master/slave setups. There maybe a jumper but that's for speed grade, but even then you shouldn't need to move it, just try it as is. Your new PC should have SATA port connections so connect to the very next open one, or if a CD/DVD drive is there, make the HD drives 1 and 2, then CD/DVD drive 3. Of course, the support website for your new PC should explain any details on adding another HD, though "generic" in details its more than enough for any user.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.