Internet Service Providers forum

New PC has much slower internet connection than an old lapto

by TheBillyW / November 11, 2012 11:51 PM PST

Hi cnet forum

I recently built my first PC but I have been having major issues with internet speed. I browsed through the forums and, as a result, updated my LAN driver with the latest driver for the Intel LAN Driver V17.3.0.0

I have the virgin media super hub with up to 60mbps download but rarely get over 20 and even then the download of webpages seems glitchy... on evenings it is terrible with 0.5 to 1.5mbps being the norm.

The problem is also affecting Chrome which struggles to render maps and stream videos such as 720p videos on youtube even when I have a tested connection of 30ish. I usually resort to using Explorer, reducing videos to 360p or even 240p.
I've reinstalled Chrome a few times but still no change.

What is going on??

I also have an old Dell Inspiron laptop which works brilliantly with the fast internet - where the speed of the hardware is the only limiting factor.

I've looked through the forums and have found people with similar issues but still can't get the problem fixed.

Can anyone help explain the poor speed of my PC compared to my old laptop?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC has much slower internet connection than an old lapto
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC has much slower internet connection than an old lapto
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What I'm seeing a lot today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 12:03 AM PST

Is that folk will install Windows but not the 10 or so drivers and helper apps. As this is a custom PC your install must be custom and the builder provides the install routine for Windows.

It's far from automatic and some items will have folk swearing for years. I can't tell much from your story but it sounds just like the others.

Sorry I can't be more specific but the maker of this thing is the person to talk to.

Example of driver hell follows.

Collapse -
Slow PC
by leydenzar / November 12, 2012 2:49 PM PST

I have the very same problem with my PC, video streams were very fast then one day it started to load ever sooo slow that it pissed me off to try watch Youtube or video. I deleted a lot of files & programs, booted family off my wireless and I looked in all my files to see if I can find a running program that would be slowing my PC down to no avail. I e-mailed my ISP but they say nothing has changed on my service plan. My anti virus found 7 malicious java script files that needed attention, I deleted those but still no change. By the way my PC is built for gaming and movie streaming so it is pretty dayum fast, faster than the best PC in brand name stores. Can anyone help me....plz

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Slow PC

Look at the clues provided along with no make, models and story about setup and it may be the same issue I noted above.

Also this is TheBillyW's discussion. Make your own post along with the missing details to avoid issues with a hijacked discussion.

Collapse -
slow PC streaming
by leydenzar / November 13, 2012 3:07 PM PST
In reply to: Slow PC

I commented earlier about my PC well I checked someone elses forum & one guy wrote about youtube and flash player clashing and something about shockwave player. I checked into both and downloaded or updated these files and the problem disappeared for the night, only to return the next day. Well for some reason I was looking at my google chrome and there it was, the youtube icon so I tried it and u wouldnt believe how fast the download speeds were. It was like new again. I deleted the old youtube in my toolbar and clicked on the google chrome youtube icon and everything is running super fast. I tried 720HD and the download speeds were completed before the video reached the half way point. I dont know if youtube was performing maintainance on the site but I am sure glad I have my streaming speeds back up to par. I hope this will help ur situation, let me know how it goes for ya, good luck....

Collapse -
Same problem
by Marragun / November 24, 2012 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: slow PC streaming

I have same problem, it's just inversely. Same Internet connection runs so slow on laptop and on my old PC it is normal. I even reinstalled Windows, tried that what you said about Flash Player and Shockwave Player, but still nothing... Problem started 15 days ago, I don't know what to do. I use Ethernet modem D-Link DSL-360R, so I even tried to find driver for it on Internet and to see if there is some kind of problem, but I couldn't find it anywhere. And I doubt that there can be the problem, because it was all good before on same modem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.