PC Hardware forum

Question

new pc bult advice?

by spiridonios / June 17, 2013 6:22 AM PDT

hello cnet forum,
I' m currently into the process of searching to built a new pc, and due to my personal irrelevance into pc hardware, its advance and compatibilities, I d like and appreciate some help. I' ve been using ubuntu for many years and i really like it ( especially before its last edition with ubuntu unity) but because of the need to work on some programs that run on windows (e.g. photoshop) i m willing to install a dual boot. (i ll give it a try for ubuntu studio with gnome and windows 7 or 8). So, not knowing much about pc hardware, i walked into a major pc store, told them about my budget (around 500E) and asked them about my options. My idea is to set a nice base, meaning buying as good basic hardware (motherboard, cpu, ram, harddisk) as i can afford. I already posses a case, and some power suppliers that i think will do their job decently.. having read in some forums i asked for intel cpu, because of their supposedly better stability. And so the packet came out like this: cpu intel core i5 3570, ram crucial ddr3 8gb (2x4) kit 1600 mhz ballis, motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V, SSD Samsung 120gb sata III 840. of course some of the contents are suggested because of the shops deal with certain brands. like they didn't have any asus motherboards , which i m advised from friends to choose instead of gigabyte in terms of reliability. Also i m thinking if would be a better idea to buy the intel 3570k which has the unlocked overclocking feature, so to be able to upgrade the cpu speed in the future if i need. And another suggestion from a friend that i had was to buy as much ram as i can from the beginning because of the up going prices when they begin to become old..
so this is the point that i' m at the time, looking forward to learn what to buy, so i can begin to build my web page. The other uses of my pc are going to be picture editing (photoshop, gimp, 180x360 panorama program..), music recording and editing, web browsing, web page developing, and i want to be able occasionally to play some games and to edit some videos.
any advice and recommendation on hardware purchase are really, really welcome and being looked forward
regards,
Spiros

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new pc bult advice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new pc bult advice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: new pc bult advice?

That single paragraph is hard to find it all. As to the CPU question, for now I suggest you never over invest. I've used many brands and never found much wrong with any.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks for your reply
by spiridonios / June 17, 2013 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you try again.

so suggesting to not over invest, you mean that i m looking into buying a too strong (and expensive) cpu for my needs? To tell you the truth i' m not really sure if my logic of buing the best i can afford to begin with a good base system is correct, because after 3 years it could be a bit worthless.. maybe i could just cover my needs wiith an i3, decreasing the cost...

Collapse -
I couldn't read your post easily.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for your reply

It's formatting makes it hard to pick through.

Collapse -
research continues
by spiridonios / June 18, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

thank you for your replies!
I m stuck in front of my pc monitor reading more about pc hardware for a long time now. and continue is on its way.. (ouf!) but process is being made. I ve been reading about the anatomy of a power supply, and I learned about PWM, a really cool function, making power consumption same as the totla of the power needed for the hardware needs. I have about 8 psu's , all without active PFC (wich i didn't really understand if it's important) with variable max watt output from 230 to 450 watts. In fact i did not understand all the parts of the anatomy of a psu, i even open them and searched them, and i m not really sure if I need a new one..
I found many good reviews about the intel i5 3570K and that a really good motherboard to go with it is either an Asrock Z77 extreme 4 or an Asus P8Z77-V LK. I definitely don't plan on overclocking for now, but i d like to have this option open for a later upgrade, and i think i ll go for the extra cpu fan to maintain the cpu in a good condition. I also don't like the noise coming out of the package ones. the two motherboards mentioned previously are also known to work with ubuntu, even if some malfunction tend to happen to some users. some others mention that worked with ubuntu just out of the box (this is another part that i' ve got to dive into..)
I also really liked this lifetime warranty that kingston and crucial ram comes with! Really good reviews go to samsung also
I want to have an ssd hard disk to maximize the speed of the system. So basically to install the Ose's on. I can go to a smaller one to reduce the cost that seems to be raised from the other parts. I also have one regular wd internal hard disk 120gb and one external wd 2tb with usb3, so i wont have a storage problem.
i have to go to work. research continues tomorrow
thank you all for your interest

Collapse -
Odd statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: research continues

That is I read you think the power output varies is strange to read.

Look at some AC Socket. Here it is usually 15 Amperes at 120VAC or about 1,800 Watts. The light bulb draws what it needs and does not blow up.

Same for the power supplies. The devices you put on there can draw less than 230 Watts and nothing blows up (or rather should not.)

As to USB 3.0 when it works, it's fine. When it doesn't you hear the screams.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.