PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New PC

by Ryan309 / November 9, 2012 10:33 AM PST

Here are the parts I was thinking of (Any suggestions are very welcome):
Power Supply:
Optical Drive:

I have a few questions: Number 1 - I would definitely like help with that motherboard just to make sure I'm not missing out on anything or paying too much. I'm also wondering if new egg includes the instant savings for bundling the items right in the estimated total (it doesn't look like it but I can't be sure). Any knowledge is greatly appreciated (I'm looking to you Bob)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks good from here and I offer the following..
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2012 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: New PC

Everything looks decent .....case looks great but a little overpriced. Suspect you can find the same functionality ....internal and external drives, fans, etc., without spending $189.

RAM....the timings (latency) are higher (slower) than most DD3 1600....the DIMMs selected show 11-11-11-30 whereas most DDR3 1600 DIMMs are 9-9-9-24 and some are 8 -8-8- 24 or even 7. Bottomline, for $75 incl shiiping, I'd look for the highest rated 8GB (X2) or 4GB (X4) DIMMs rated at 9 or better and then pick the kit that gives you your total 16GB

Here's a well rated 2 DIMM X 8GB kit with 8 latency (runs faster than 9 and 11)

Here's a well rated 2 DIMM X 8GB kit with 9 low latency (runs faster than 11)

Let us know what you ultimately choose and how it goes.

Collapse -
by Ryan309 / November 10, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Yeah I was a little bit iffy about the RAM, thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
New Parts
by Ryan309 / November 10, 2012 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: New PC

So I am now adding that Crucial RAM instead of the stuff I had before. I am also still wondering whether the 7970, GTX 670, or GTX 680 is the GPU I should get.... I want the best performance, but I am also wondering if PhysX and tech like that will still work with the AMD card? It's probably a dumb question, but hey I gotta ask.

Collapse -
About the GPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: New Parts
Collapse -
Another reference site...you pick what video cards
by VAPCMD / November 10, 2012 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: New Parts
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.