Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

New older guy needs help with Firefox

by jordan22 / May 11, 2013 2:44 PM PDT

I am new here but used to get help at deal mac.

Firefox is acting up... gets sluggish. Please do not yell at me for an old machine and OS and ancient web hrowsers. I am happy thus far. I have limited resources right now.

Will this work to reset my older Firefox?

Mac OS:
Go to "Applications > Utilities > Terminal"
Enter the following command:
/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-m
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1154-reset-firefox

2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2.5 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 'SDRARM
OS 10.4.1.11
Memory: 2.5 GB
500 GB Hard drive
Safari 4.1.3
Firefox 3.6.28
Opera 10.63

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New older guy needs help with Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New older guy needs help with Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 11:30 PM PDT

despite your warning not to mention "ancient web browsers", I have to point out that any browser designed to work on your version of OS X will, invariably, be sluggish.
Since those browsers were designed, web sites have moved on considerably and those browsers do no handle all the new fancy stuff, well.

Does this "sluggishness" happen with all three of your browsers?

P

Collapse -
new guy needs help with Opera 10.63 using OS 10.4.1.1
by jordan22 / May 12, 2013 2:16 AM PDT

Someone at deal mac sent me a fix long ago, which worked well for quite a while. I cannot get back to any messages at Deal Mac and do not remember their ideas. Even now it is perfect when I start it up but after a while (30 minutes or so) it slows down, and the spinning beach ball comes out. However, a restart of the Firefox browser immediately fixes it again for yet another 30 minutes to an hour or so. I googled firefox reset 3.6.28 macintosh I read a lot of that but settled on the link above to try. Will it work? BTW., I have no problems with Safari but it has a reset option and I have an app to "clean" and optimize it. How can I permanently add the info below to all of my posts.
2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo2.5 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 'SDRARMOS 10.4.1.11Memory: 2.5 GB500 GB Hard driveSafari 4.1.3Firefox 3.6.28Opera 10.63

Collapse -
From what you describe,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 3:12 AM PDT

it seems likely that your version of Firefox has a "memory leak"
This means that over the course of time, 30 minutes in your case, Firefox keeps asking for more and more of the Macs RAM.
The more RAM it uses, the less RAM there is for the Mac to use, therefore everything becomes sluggish.
Rebooting Firefox releases all that RAM and things go back to normal.

No permanent cure other than moving up the OS X version and getting a version of Firefox that does not have this problem.

You cannot put all that information on each of your posts, not that I know of anyway

P

Collapse -
older guy
by jordan22 / May 12, 2013 9:17 AM PDT

I had this issue before and received instructions at deal mac to fix it, which worked. but the forum is gone so I cannot find those instructions. I started searching and found that is not uncommon on my OS and version of firefox. Google this to see, please:

"firefox reset 3.6.28 macintosh"

Then read this:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1154-reset-firefox

Boot up in safe mode and then do this:

Mac OS:

Go to "Applications > Utilities > Terminal"
Enter the following command:/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-mode

My question is : Will this work?

I contacted Epson about the printers. I am OK even if they do not have have the drivers because you can download them from Gutenprint:Here is their list which is good for any Mac user to know.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

I have also read that Snow Leopard is better than the latest two OS,. and is the last version that will run old PCC apps like those I have including Office 2004 but you have to install Rosetta which is an option on the disk.

I found a warning about upgrading from OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.6.8 but not sure if it matters. Says try to find a full 10.6.8 version to avoid software updates, and make a full back up to an external hard drive. I have two of them but only use one right now and Super Duper backs up twice a day.

Where can I get a full Snow Leopard 3.6.8 disk? I searched with no success.

Until I do that, I want to fix Firefox. Can you help me with that?

I would get a new machine but ONLY want one with 10.6.8 and a SuperDrive AND preferably at least one fire wire port. So I probably need a 2011 model but am not sure?. Any suggestions for that including fully refurbished units? Do any companies fully refurbish older Macs?d Urban Computers in Chicago did that many years ago but they went out of business. If I could find one now that I liked, I would borrow the money from my daughter and buy it.

I realize I have asked a lot of questions and hope I have not overwhelmed you. Please take your time answering on one thread if possible. I can tell you know your stuff.

I am a true Mac Dummy but I had a lot of friends at deal mac who knew that and gave me detailed answers in very simple terms. I miss them and wish I could find them. So.. I am looking for a new home.

Thanks a lot for staying with me on these issues.

Collapse -
Some answers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: older guy

1. Firefox: Try it and see. If it works, great, if it doesn't, you have lost nothing
2. Nice info for the printers
3. Snow Leopard was the last to support PPC apps, with the aid of Rosetta. You will find a retail Snow Leopard disc on eBay. Original price was $29.99. Only go for the full Retail version, avoid the Grey color ones which are Restore discs for specific machines. Unlikely that you will find a copy of 10.6.8, so some updating will be required.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1&_nkw=apple+snow+leopard&_sacat=0&_from=R40
4. See #1
5. Take a look at PowerMax. They have iMacs of the type you require. http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_CU_IM_I8
6. You're welcome

P

Collapse -
older guy
by jordan22 / May 18, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Some answers

Sorry for being tardy but had some medical issues. I am back to normal and will order
Snow Leopard but I am now challenged to fix Firefox first;

How about reinstalling it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.