Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

new mp3 player compatible with windows 2000?

by SacramentoRob / December 25, 2007 7:28 AM PST

hi folks,

I just bought my daughter an ipod nano g3 for Xmas. When I installed itunes on my PC, I found out that the version of itunes I need for the nano, 7.4+, won't work with Windows 2000. The W2K version, 7.3, won't sync with the nano.

Does anyone know a way to use this new nano with W2K? Otherwise, can someone recommend an mp3 player that is compatible W2k?

All the music we own now is on purchased cds so we aren't capitves anywhere yet.

Thanks,
/Rob

ps I'm staying with W2k even if it means never owning an mp3 player

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new mp3 player compatible with windows 2000?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new mp3 player compatible with windows 2000?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2007 7:33 AM PST

What I usually discover is dead front USB ports, the owner never heard of motherboard chipset drivers or "other" issues.

Windows 2000 sp4 here. But I have been installing Windows since version 1.0...

Collapse -
always good points!
by SacramentoRob / December 25, 2007 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: Works fine here.

Thanks for responding. I followed up on your ideas and I don't think it is a hardware problem. ITunes recognizes the nano but refuses to sync it since the versions aren't compatible--or so it says. With the nano on the USB port W2K assigns it a drive letter and I can read and write to it like a memory stick. ITunes refuses to index it or move files over to it. I tried just putting the files on the nano manually. The nano refuses to play them. It seems like Apple just didn't bother to write the driver for W2K.

Collapse -
"Apple just didn't bother to write the driver for W2K."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2007 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: always good points!

Which doesn't explain why it works here. Sorry but somethings amiss here. It's not "Apple just didn't bother to write the driver for W2K."
I do know that it's tough with Windows since drivers, bugs were never really addressed by Microsoft so we get to deal with them.

I wish I had the "exact error message" to work with plus what the forum note asks for. Sorry but I don't see this issue here on our Windows 2000 desktops.

Bob

Collapse -
New Nano needs itunes 7.4 or above, 7.4 won't run on W2K
by SacramentoRob / December 25, 2007 11:21 PM PST

Thanks again, Bob.

The error message was pretty simple. When I downloaded the current version of ITunes, 7.5, and tried to install it, I got a message informing me that 7.5 wouldn't run on W2K and that I needed to download an earlier version of the software. I followed a link on the Apple site for W2K users and it downloaded ITunes 7.3. When I installed that it said that it wouldn't work with version of Nano that I had connected. The sync choice on the ITunes menu never darkens in. When I checked around some, the Apple site says that the new Nanos need ITunes version 7.4 or above.

I think this is a change as the earlier Nanos would work on the older operating systems and with the earlier versions of ITunes.

I appreciate the help. I guess I'll just have to take the thing back which is sad for me because it seems really cool. I'd probably keep it if I could just drag and drop files but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks again,
/Rob

Collapse -
I have the old Nano. Wow, explains a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2007 11:44 PM PST

Sorry, I missed that. Try the ITUNES ALTERNATIVES path next.

Bob

Collapse -
Homerun!
by SacramentoRob / December 26, 2007 12:13 AM PST

Thanks again, Bob. One of these will work just right.

Much appreciated!

/Rob

Collapse -
I'm sorry. I really did miss that "new" and "g3" item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2007 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Homerun!

Thanks for sticking to it. Of course anyone that runs Windows 2000 (which I do) has to have "keep trying" attitude.

Bob

Collapse -
To fix it "another way"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2007 11:07 PM PST

Type ITUNES ALTERNATIVES into google.com to learn about other solutions.

Also that drive letter could be a sign the iPod is in some mass storage mode. It's proper that iTunes would never place tunes there or that tunes put there would never play. That's a drive and not the storage space for tunes to be played by the iPod...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.