Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Monitor Problems: Acer P241W

by canti14 / November 27, 2007 9:49 AM PST

I just bought this new monitor (an Acer P241W) about two weeks ago. I bought it so I could hook my 360 and computer up to it. When I got the monitor, my computer was being worked on, so I only hooked up my 360. It worked fine, and then I went away on a five day holiday for Thanksgiving. When I came home, my computer was ready, so I hooked up my computer into the DVI slot (my 360 is in the VGA slot), and booted up.

Now here is the problem. The monitor has power and shows its blue LED light (if it has no signal it has an amber LED), but there is only an image on the screen for a second, if that. After the image disappears, the monitor shows nothing at all. The screen looks as if the monitor is simply off, but the blue LED is still on. So, since there is no screen, I cannot even access the menu options to change the settings.

I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this myself, or if I should just take the monitor back to the store.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Monitor Problems: Acer P241W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Monitor Problems: Acer P241W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
menu options
by thadjarvis / November 27, 2007 11:45 PM PST

access your monitors menu and switch to digital

Collapse -
Menu Options
by thadjarvis / November 28, 2007 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: menu options
Collapse -
Menu Options... How?
by spartanm73 / January 15, 2008 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Menu Options

I just bought this monitor yesterday as an upgrade for my gaming PC, and am having the same issues. (Maybe this model has a glitch...getting stuck in the wrong mode or something) I'm not sure if the original poster has my identical problem, but on my display, which is for now being hooked only to a self-built Athlon 64 gaming PC, the only times there is any picture is twice during BIOS booting and once on the windows screen. Each of these three times lasts only about half a second for my screen, and once that half second is over, and the screen goes dark, the menu buttons fail to respond at all. I'm not sure if this is normal for this model of LCD display (or any model for that matter) But if my display is "stuck" on the wrong mode, I'm NOT ABLE to access the menu in time to change anything. The only other time I get a picture is when I have the PC on, and turn off the display, then turn it back on. Again it pops up the correct image (desktop, welcome screen, etc.) for a half-second, then goes dark again. The same issue happens when connecting via VGA or DVI (my ATi Radeon x1600 Pro has both connectors). I have already confirmed that both adapters are with working, updated drivers, active in Windows, and are able to properly run another monitor. So my big question is: Is there some way to fix the "glitch" involved here, or do I take it back and try a replacement instead??

Collapse -
Re: New Monitor Problems: Acer P241W
by drbob3 / December 11, 2007 11:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Acer P241 LCD Monitor
by Ja Ku / January 21, 2008 6:19 AM PST

Have read your monitor problems. Here are mine
Purchased a new Acer p241 at Staples -11/26/07. Got it delivered UPS. Out of the box it operated as you described. Only Acer icon flash then a black screen. Nothing worked.
Took it back to Staples where they gave me another new one. Just a couple of days ago it started to go black then back to the desk top display. I tried everything. Finally I only got a black screen with the power button showing only orange.
Re-installed my old smaller monitor (LCD) and everything works fine.
Called Staples and they told me I should have purchased an extended warranty and I was out of luck
Emailed Acer and have had no reply. I have a feeling this monitor has some serious problems and I would not purchase another.

Collapse -
ACER P241w
by rmdnet / January 30, 2008 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Acer P241 LCD Monitor

Interest Posts as I have the exact same problem. It started 4 days after purchase (so I can still return but would like to figure it out as for the price it's an excellent monitor I have both a laptop docking station and a desktop connected to the monitor throught the digital and analog ports respectively. If I start my laptop and toggle between the laptop screen and the lcd the picture seems to come back. Once it's back it will be good for hours. Still not sure why but I have 5 more days to figure it out

Collapse -
ACER Returns
by rmdnet / January 30, 2008 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Acer P241 LCD Monitor

Also Acer did respond same day for me and gave me a return authorization to send the unit back to Texas for repair.. Here's the note :

Thank you for contacting Acer America. We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. Based on the information provided I suggest your Acer product be checked by our authorized repair depot. You can set this up for service yourself by going to; click on the US or Canada then select the link for Depot Repair under Fix My Acer. I hope this is helpful.

Acer America
Online Support

Collapse -
New Monitor with Problems: Acer P241W
by wheelsman / February 15, 2008 2:14 AM PST

I just bought this monitor and found the same issue. At first I thought maybe it was my ATI 1300Pro graphics card until I tried this monitor on my laptop and found the same issue. Acer's support page is terrible. Went thru menu after menu (bullet questions) trying to find an answer. I'm finding more an more people with the same problem, but nothing on their website. Updated my ATI video drivers with the same results. No drivers on the site either for this monitor. Device Manager saw a new monitor (when in Dual monitor mode with my old CRT), but only displayed as Generic Monitor. I could not find a phone number to the Support Center anywhere. I was suprised to get a RMA number to send the monitor to the Texas repair center with out any other troubleshooting steps or questions from Acer. Tells me I better runnaway from this purchase fast.

Going back to Circuit City today.

Collapse -
found out what the error was caused by on mine
by rhall987 / March 9, 2008 1:50 PM PDT

I had the exact same issue when I got mine. I decided to try and re-seat all of my connectors and found that the 120VAC Power connector was very "touchy". When I re-seated the power cord connector, and turned the monitor off and back on, everything has been fine since then. Very strange side-affect of a badly seated power connector, and I am guessing that there is a size issue between the cable end and the connections inside the monitor that are causing this. I'm debating whether to take mine back even though I haven't experienced the problem again since then.

Collapse -
Interesting find
by wheelsman / March 10, 2008 1:15 AM PDT

WOW, that is very interesting. But you still had the blue power light on? I hadn't played with the power cable, just the DVI and VGA cables. I'm sure I seated the power cable well.

I actually took the second Acer monitor back (which had the exact same problem) and spent $100 more to get the 24" Samsung. I had no problems at all with the Samsung. It has a very nice screen and an adjustable base (including height).

You should send a bill to Acer Inc. for finding their problem. It would be smart if they put this information on their useless support page.

Collapse -
Yes - seems like exact same issues
by rhall987 / March 10, 2008 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting find

I had the exact same issues. The display came up for about 1 second and went off completely. Then, the blue power light stayed on, but none of the front buttons were operational. (It sure didn't seem like a 120VAC power issue, as it sure did appear to have power.) After reseating the 120VAC cord, I noticed that I started to get the moving dialog box for (No signal present) when I didn't yet have the computer on (which was a good sign!). That was the first sign that something had changed. I'm wondering if the monitor looses the neutral wire perhaps and has just enough induced current built up from between the hot and ground to display the picture if only briefly when first turning it on. (I'm speculating, of course)

Collapse -
by ivank2139 / April 11, 2008 11:23 AM PDT

I read the posts caz I had the same problem. I was about to go buy a new monitor. I pushed and pulled on hte power connection and it works........

a little bit of search on google and your forum saved me a lot of time and trouble. Wish I had tried this earlier.

Thanks to everyone involved......

Collapse -
Exact same issue
by cilantro4062 / April 22, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

I just purchased the p241w, end of February from Staples. Of course 31 days after purchase the video will not stay resident. It occured when i first set it up, but I had assumed it was the driver. After hooking up my old monitor and downloading new drivers, rehooking back up, it worked.

Staples would not take it back, I have contacted ACER numerous times and after surfing the net, this seems to be an issue with this particuliar model. Acers response was to unplug the monitor and hold the power button for 30 seconds to reset the power. If that doesnt work to send it in.

Talked with numerous acer people and they refuse to exchange refund or anything. Even though it appears this is a common issue, they stand that there is no defect in the model.

Staples should have known that this was an issue. Their sales guy even talked me into purchasing this monitor. I had same issue with their laptops years ago. I will never purchase an Acer product again thats for sure.

Collapse -
Exact same issue
by wheelsman / April 22, 2008 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Exact same issue

I think the problem is in the florescent backlight not turning on properly. Under the right lighting conditions in the room, you can barely see the desktop and icons. But because of the backlighting not working, there is no brightness. I'm not sure if the issue is in the circuitry or power supply. Their work around to unplug and hold power button for 30 seconds ensures capacitors are completely discharged. Not much of a workaround.

Just my two cents worth. I don't care what they say, this is a defect. Anyone with any kind of Quality Control background would know this. I'm sure they've been able to recreate the issue.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by rscottcarter / July 21, 2008 4:31 AM PDT

I have the same 1 second display on power up, and also my DVI port shows some screwed up sliding distorted display that is predominantly red (when it works if ever). I have worked around it by reducing my display resolution to 1280x1024 and then I get a picture... then I gradually increase the resolution until I get to 1920x1200... it works from that point on until I turn off the power. I have another monitor that is an X2GEN model with basically the same display specs, and it does the same exact thing. I got the extended warranty on the ACER, but it is a hassle to replace it constantly. Seems to be a design defect... especially with so many people having it. You would think that they would sort this kind of thing out before they put it on the shelves.

Collapse -
my problem...
by spartanm73 / July 24, 2008 12:19 AM PDT

For anybody out there with the same monitor issue i had, here is what my problem turned out to be: My P241W had a defect in which the backlights would fail. For anyone who knows little about monitor types, an LCD monitor, unlike a CRT, does not produce its own light; it requires a bank of flourescent lamps, which reside behind the screen, to shine light through the colored panel to produce a visible image... In my case, these lights would fail. I was able to diagnose this by turning my PC on and shining a bright flashlight onto my screen. Doing this, you can see a very faint image of your desktop. This way, you can at least make sure it is the monitor's fault and not your video card, cables, etc.
In my case, the monitor was DOA the day I bought it, and I was able to exchange it @ the store for a free replacement the very next day. The new unit has worked flawlessly for over six months now, and I am very pleased with it. I guess there is just a whole batch of them that shipped out from the factory with the same issue. Sad

Collapse -
ACER Sent in for Repair
by goldsheet / July 24, 2008 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: my problem...

I had the blanking screen problem and sent my Acer 241w into the Repair Depot.

I took about 3 weeks and they replaced Part 19.LB.404.001 Inverter, so it appears my problem was in power supply. It could have been the AC/DC inverter was not supplying enough current to keep the backlight on.

Good news: Repaired under warranty
Bad News: Cost me $32 to send it in.

Collapse -
Monitor runs HOT?
by hairbal / August 12, 2008 3:28 AM PDT

I've not seen this listed here, but I've had this monitor about six weeks, and it runs hot. Anyone else with this problem? My NEC LCD did not have this problem. I turn off the monitor after a few minutes now, but I can't say the problem is going away.
Any one else have/had this issue?

Collapse -
Solution to the backlight issue
by skess32 / February 14, 2009 11:36 PM PST

I bought a p241w with the exact same backlight issue: on for 1 second at startup and then off. After reading various posts and the owners manual, I've finally figured out a solution/work-around.

1. For the initial startup of this monitor with any computer, make sure you turn on the monitor first, then the computer. After the computer has recognized the monitor, this seems to stop being needed.

2. For the backlight to work, the interior of the monitor must be warm enough. On a warm day, room temperature will do it. Below about 70 degrees F., you'll need to heat the inside of the monitor somehow. I now keep a blow dryer next to the monitor. If needed, I hook it over the top of the monitor so it blows into the top left corner on low heat. After 5 minutes of heating, the monitor starts right up, after which it heats itself. This is inconvenient, I know, but a work-around solution until I can spare the monitor for the month it will take to ship it back to Acer in Texas to repair it and get it back.

Collapse -
What worked for me
by circusbliss / November 15, 2008 10:20 PM PST

I find when it is cold at night, the following day my monitor will only light up for a few seconds and then will essentially go blank/turn off (except that it is still on). I would restart the computer and if the monitor would stay on well past the startup screen then it would stay on all day . . . but over the course of weeks the problem progressively got worse until it looked like I would have no choice but to purchase a new monitor.
(In retrospec I believe the problem kept getting worse because the weather kept getting colder, the problem entirely disappeared once spring came around.) Initially I found that turning down the brightness settings helped, but eventually the problem just came back. What did work, however, was turning the monitor upside down and leaving it in that position for several minutes while it booted up. The monitor would stay on, and after a couple minutes I could simply turn it back right side up and it would stay on for the rest of the day.

Collapse -
Non-gamer wanting to purchase Acer P241W
by FondaPeter / January 12, 2009 2:40 PM PST

Reading all of the problems with this monitor posted here, I'm now reluctant to purchase this monitor. I am not a gamer (yet?) but will watch movies and use it for office work, i.e., MSOffice programs. Is this monitor problem "gamer-specific?" Should I not buy this monitor? It ranked quite high in the Consumer Report and that's how I learned about it. Any input you offer will be greatly appreciated.. I need an answer ASAP because I need to purchase a monitor ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Stay away from this POS
by dorr67 / June 28, 2009 12:01 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with no display after only having the monitor for 3 months. Now Acer tells me I have to pay to ship it to them. A monitor with a 3-yr warranty that goes out in 3 months and I have to pay to have it fixed. What a ridiculous company and I would never buy another product from them again. I hope they go out of business. On a brighter note, my recent purchase of a lenovo notebook had a fan problem. The next day after reporting it I had a box at my house with everything needed for the shipping. I never had to spend a dime. And I received it back in about 3 days. Now that's how you support your product. Stay away from ACER! I wish I had read this forum before I donated $300 to them.

Collapse -
Wife had similiar problem
by walleyed1 / January 12, 2009 6:35 PM PST

wife has aAcer P242w monitor,one day had exact same symtoms as you, found that the way the a/c plug is situated, it can loosen on it's own...check on rear of your monitor. Hope this helps,your post dated 11-27-07,you've probably already repaired this by now.

Collapse -
acer p241 junk
by roadmaster636 / February 21, 2009 7:22 AM PST

I have the same problems. I sent the monitor back to Acer spent $60.00 for shipping. It was gone about 2 weeks, I got it back it did the same thing. Plus they scratched the back of it at a few places. They said there was nothing they could do about the scratches. Well anyway, I have already spent about 3 hours on the phone with these idiots. They tell me "well our tech plugged it in and it worked fine". So they sent it back. Well, apparently their tech is blind. So they proceed to tell me to go buy another cable it has to be the cable since it worked for them. I proceeded to tell them that I hooked another monitor up to my pc it worked fine. I hooked the Acer up to my laptop same issue as the desktop. He still insists it is the cable. So I buy one and of course it still does the fade out to a blank screen. So now I have to try to return the cable, hoping I get my money back. Anyhow now he has me holding the power button for 30 sec etc etc etc and nothing works after doing it a hundred times. He says we will have to send it in for a second repair. So I say well how are you gonna work this for shipping? I'm not gonna pay it again. He says well I don't have the authority to authorize the free shipping. The point I'm making they are not willing to help. They scratch something it's not their problem. And if you call them expect to be on the phone for at least a half an hour before you even get to talk to anyone. I hope you enjoy their music. To wrap this up JUST DONT BUY AN ACER - CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS TECH SUPPORT SUCKS AND THEIR PRODUCTS SUCK.

Collapse -
I'm going through the same thing
by peong21 / July 14, 2009 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: acer p241 junk

A month ago my Acer X223W monitor's buttons stopped responding. 1 button press would be registered maybe once in 20 presses of the power button (the powere button only worked sometimes), and the other buttons did not respond at all.
Then the monitor menu started popping up and scrolling through options, changing the brightness and colors.
Then the power button stopped responding at all.
So I called them, sent it to their TX repair facility.
This cost me $30 with UPS.
After 2 weeks they sent it back saying it was repaired.

So I turn it on (the power button worked this time), and within 5 mins of it being on, I see the monitor menu again, and it's scrolling through the options. I try to turn it off, and the power button won't let me.

I was furious.

So I called them back and they said to send it in again.
What about shipping?
Sorry, but they do not pay for shipping on monitors.
So now I have to give UPS another $30 if I want a working Acer monitor.
This is highly annoying.
I'll post back with the outcome.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.