Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Monitor, Old Computer, Video Card error

by dixie94 / March 22, 2009 12:44 AM PDT

Hi, I recently was given a new monitor and old computer. I'm trying to set up the computer but the monitor gives me a message saying a video card has already been installed. I can't get to the normal Windows screen or any other screen. Also, b/c the keyboard and mouse are new (wireless), I can't even set them up to try anything. I do have another keyboard/mouse I can use if necessary.
I tried buying and using a DVI adapter since the monitor came with a DVI cable also. That produced nothing, couldn't even find the signal.
I tried inserting the cable to the port underneath the regular monitor port on the computer but it won't fit inside. It seems to be the same size but neither go inside the other. Someone suggested getting an adapter to use that port but at the store, I was told that is incorrect b/c the second port is a data port. Nonetheless, I can't find an adapter to try it.
I have no idea what to do now.
As for what video card(s) was installed on the computer, I have no idea nor does the previous owner.
The computer is: Dell Optiplex GX620
The monitor is: Samsung Syncmaster 2220 WM

Please, give any answers in very simplistic computer terminology. I don't know the accurate terms for things but really need help with this problem. I don't want to have to buy a new computer.

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Monitor, Old Computer, Video Card error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Monitor, Old Computer, Video Card error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And Does It Work Correctly After Starting In Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

Here's a link to the Dell GX620 specs:

It would sure help is you told use EXACTLY what the error message is..Plus, which operating system is installed on the computer?

Yes, although it doesn't appear as though you can use the older PS2 mouse and keyboard on the computer, it would certainly help if you used standard USB "wired" devices instead of wireless.. Once that's done, try restarting into Safe Mode, using the instructions in the link below.. ONce in Safe Mode, you might be able to reset the screen resolution on the monitor to native resolution for you monitor which is 1680 X 1050.. (1440 X 900 will work though) To set the screen resolution, IF you can access Safe Mode, then open the Control Panel, then double click on "Display" icon, then the Settings tab.. Move the Screen Resolution slider to a higher number. If the resolutions above aren't there, then you'll need to install the most recent graphics driver for you card and hopefully, it will allow for the increased resolution.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still doesn't work.
by dixie94 / March 22, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

Hi Grif,
Thanks for responding right away!
I wasn't able to start the computer in safe mode. Whether I press F8, F2 (setup) or F12 (boot menu), the computer goes automatically to the error message.
Here is the message:
System halted!
Attn: unsupported video configuration detected.
Action is required.
This computer has an add-in graphics card but the monitor is plugged into the integrated video connector.
To attach the monitor cable to the add-in graphics card:
1-Shut down the computer
2-Plug the monitor cable into the add-in graphics card connector. This may require a video adapter or a video adapter cable
3-Turn on the computer

I'm not sure which operating system is on the computer but I will try to find out.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
The Please Check For A Second Monitor Port On The Comp
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Still doesn't work.
Collapse -
Other Port doesn't fit
by dixie94 / March 23, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

There is a second port there but my monitor cable does not fit inside. They look like they are the same size, although the second port has 9 pins, but when I try to insert the monitor cable, it just lines up against the outside of the other port, it doesn't actually fit inside that port. Someone else told me to get an adapter but I haven't found one in a store yet. I only tried Radio Shack so far. Also, when I tried to get an adapter, someone told me that is wrong b/c that second port is a data port.
I have no idea what is correct!

Thank you for your continued help.

Collapse -
Simplest Fix Here Would Be to Replace With New Video Card
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Other Port doesn't fit

A basic card isn't that expensive and you'll know the video card will work after replacement. Part of your issue now is you don't know for sure whether ther video card functions at all. That is, unless you've tested it with another known "good" monitor.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
New card
by dixie94 / March 23, 2009 4:35 AM PDT

Hi Grif,
Is it easy enough to install the basic video card? Will I have to open the computer to insert the card or is it something I'm installing via cd?
Is it the issue of the monitor possibly not working or the card inside the computer? The monitor itself is brand new and I know the computer was used and working before. Should I try to attach a different monitor before buying a video card?

Thank you!

Collapse -
Yep, Try A Different Known "Good" Monitor
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: New card

That should test whether it's the monitor or graphics card at fault.. Of course, if the swapped monitor works, then I would also test the "new" monitor on a different computer to verify the monitor was the issue..

As to installing a new card, you will indeed need to open up the case, remove the old card and install the new one.. It's not all that difficult, but do a little research before jumping right in.. Generally, you turn on the computer, open Device Manager, then uninstall the current graphics card from Device Manager. (In your case, if you can't access "normal" or Safe Mode Windows, this step isn't possible.) Then turn off the computer.. Once that's done, open the computer case, remove the old card and replace it with the new card.. Follow the instructions on the new cards installation CD to install the drivers for the new graphcs card.

It's also important to know the type of plugin connector the card uses to install inside the computer. They are a few but in your case, the link I provided earlier indicates that the card is a "PCI Express X16" connection.. You'll probably want to replace the old card with the same type of card.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Monitor works
by dixie94 / March 23, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

I tried the new monitor with another computer (the one I'm using now), the monitor worked as soon as it was plugged in.
I tried the monitor I'm using now with the other computer, same error message as with the new monitor.
So in that case, it is the video card that's the problem? Is the only way to solve this to buy a new video card?
When you say "you want to replace the old card with the same type of card", are you referring to the video card?
Is the plugin connector something else I need to purchase or do I just need to know the type when going to buy the video card?
When going to buy the card, do I just look for any basic video card that goes along with the particular plug-in?

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new for me.

I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Yep, The Next Step is A New Video Card..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor works

The video ports are included with a new card and for the most options, you'll want to find a card which contains both a VGA and a DVI port which would allow you to use dual monitors or to simply use your choice of cabling.

As to your search for a basic or advance card, that's up to you and your budget. Primarily, you're going to be looking for PCI Express X16 cards. If you'll use Google to search for PCI Express X16 vs PCI Express X1 cards, you'll see a difference in the copper connectors which plug into the slots on the motherboard.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm only giving you information based on the link I provided earlier.. You may actually want to remove the card, then visit a computer store with card in hand to match the PCI slot arrangements. That way, a salesperson could assist in the card selection.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Is it possible??
by esrom19 / March 27, 2009 9:01 AM PDT

hello, is it possible that a monitor plugged-in in the old video card will use the new video card installed?? because my old video card is on board and my monitor is not suited for VGA and DVI ports...

Collapse -
I've Never Seen A Monitor That's Not Compatible With Either
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2009 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it possible??

VGA or DVI? Unless you've got something I've never seen, even the newest monitors will work with one, or the other, or both..

And NO, the monitor won't use the new video card if plugged into the old port.. The monitor must be plugged into the computer's video port which is enabled in Device Manager.. Generally, you must enable one monitor port and disable the other from Device Manager.. Enabling them both at the same time will "confuse" the computer and cause the monitor to stop working.. As such, using the VGA port on whichever video card you prefer, you start the computer into Safe Mode where you can access Device Manager and enable the video card of your choice and disable the other one.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
my monitor is really not compatible with either.
by esrom19 / March 27, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

thanks for the reply.. it really monitor is Sony LCD PCVA-15XA3/A... i really want to upgrade my video card but i cant because of that monitor problem. should i buy a video card from sony or should i buy a new monitor? any advice plss?

Collapse -
esrom, Please Tell Us The Monitor Make and Model Number
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2009 11:30 AM PDT

As stated, I've not seen a standard computer monitor which didn't have either a VGA or DVI port but anything's possible, especially if you're trying to use a televison monitor of some type.. That's a different thing entirely.. Unfortunately, you've not told us which monitor you're try to use and since you popped into a thread which was dealing with a Samsung Syncmaster 2220 WM, which does have those options, it can be confusing..

Hope this helps and let us know more..

Collapse -
I already post whats my monitor xD thanks in advance
by esrom19 / March 28, 2009 9:22 PM PDT

my monitor is a Sony LCD PCVA-15XA3/A.. thats all written under my monitor.. my monitor is plug n play...

hope it helps you to solve my problem.. thanks for helping me.

Collapse -
Sorry, I Can't Find Any Details About Such A Monitor
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 29, 2009 7:46 AM PDT

A search of the net shows almost nothing about a PCVA-15XA3/A. A few pictures from Japanese websites and a few links about users that have standard nVidia graphics cards.. I can't find anything specific at the Sony site either..

I'll guess the link below shows your monitor in the lower part of the picture:

If the computer is able to use a standard nVidia card, then the monitor uses standard VGA or DVI plugs. Unfortunately, you're telling me that's not correct.. Withough further details or pictures of the ports on the monitor, I stumped. If such a thing isn't workable, then the next best option is to contact Sony as to their advice..

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.