MacBooks

General discussion

NEW MACBOOK PRO 2010. BUY or WAIT?

by wayneholbrook / March 1, 2010 11:20 PM PST

With so many rumors, yes just rumors; If you needed a macbook pro within the next 3-4 weeks, do you buy now or wait for the next new line of Macbook Pros to come out? I guess for me it depends on how soon they will be released. The problem with that is no one knows for sure. If it will be longer than 30 days, then I need to buy one now. Anyone here anything new out there?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEW MACBOOK PRO 2010. BUY or WAIT?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEW MACBOOK PRO 2010. BUY or WAIT?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i hope it's soon
by scant73 / March 2, 2010 6:58 PM PST

Hi there I ordered my new Macbook Pro on 23/2/10 and the retailer rang me today because it should of been in by now and he said that Apple were a bit coy about why it wasn't ready yet so we both suspect that there is an upgrade on the way or hope anyway i was holding off because of the rumors but got sick of waiting so would be a bonus if i get a new i5 chip

Collapse -
If you need it now
by ouimetnick / March 5, 2010 11:28 PM PST

If you need a new MBP now, buy it. But the rumors are circulating. Also, Apple will; need to update them soon, as the Core 2 Duo chips will be out of production summer 2010.

Collapse -
RE: NEW MACBOOK PRO 2010. BUY or WAIT?
by dj_erik / March 5, 2010 11:36 PM PST

Honestly, I wouldn't purchase a new MacBook Pro, unless it was absolutely necessary. They are extremely outdated hardware wise for the current market price, and Apple has to do something soon to fix that issue.
If you want to read more in-depth on the topic:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/macbookpro-apple-refresh-opinion,review-1513.html

I am currently holding out for the new 12 core Mac Pro, which actually isn't that bad considering the 8 core system is still within a reasonable price range. With a refresh right around the corner, I don't see the need to rush out and purchase a new computer.

My advice would be to wait. If can't though, check out the refurbished MacBook Pros at the Apple store. When a refresh is usually about to occur, you'll notice that they usually have a large stock of refurbs.

Collapse -
June
by d_adams / March 10, 2010 12:32 AM PST

I expect they will release new ones in June/July, like they did last year. So, if you need one right now, go ahead and buy. Say what you will about "outdated hardware" and "overpriced"; the MacBook Pro is the best out there to date.

Collapse -
umm wrong
by cap1killife / March 27, 2010 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: June

they are very outdated.....you would need to be a apple lover or only use macs because thats all you know how to use if you do pick a mac book over a core i5/i7 for the same price thats really what it comes down to

Collapse -
The CPU is but one aspect
by Jimmy Greystone / April 4, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: umm wrong

The CPU is but one aspect of what makes for a good laptop. Apple's displays are simply gorgeous, there's no two ways about that. They make almost everything else look like something from the bottom of a murky well. And there are a number of under the hood enhancements about Mac OS X 10.6 which really make the most of dual, quad, sextet, octal, whatever core CPUs. Microsoft has admittedly made some pretty impressive strides on that front with Vista and Windows 7, but it doesn't quite scale as gracefully as Mac OS X. Windows' process scheduler still likes to dump a bunch of processes on one core while another might be sitting completely idle.

You may have a Core i7 and someone else may only have a Core 2 Duo, but if 40-50% of the potential of that Core i7 are being wasted because of an inefficient process scheduler, it's really not going to seem to be that much better than a lowly Core 2 Duo being utilized to it's full potential.

Then there's the fact that a lot of the companies stuffing i5/i7 CPUs into laptops had some SERIOUS hardware issues. Like the CPUs were literally melting the cases and burning out in very short order. You may not have all the latest and greatest bells and whistles with an Apple product, but whatever bells and whistles they DO have, will generally work, and work well... Consistently... Over long periods of time. You can of course make the walled garden argument, and I won't disagree, but not everyone is interested in the amount of effort it takes to contend with the additional freedom or Windows or Linux.

So when we really get down to it... I have to ask: Who are you trying to convince more? Me or you?

Collapse -
I agree, but
by ziptie / April 5, 2011 6:12 AM PDT

you dug up another year old thread.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 5, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree, but

******... You're right... And another early morning post, so at least I have that to offer up in my defense. Until about noon, certain parts of my brain just don't seem to function well, like looking at dates for posts.

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference, but I'm not intentionally digging these things up, they pop up as having a new post. Starting to think there's some kind of database issue with the "new and improved" Cnet forum software. That, or maybe someone screwed up one of the SQL queries that is used to generate the topic listings. One or two could be written off as spam having been removed from the topic, but this is starting to become a bit too frequent to be something like that.

Collapse -
Posts Popping up, the answer.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 5, 2011 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Bugger

Prior to the Forum "update" a thread would rise to the top of the list as soon as a new post was added to it.
If that post was removed, as is often the case with Spam, the post would sink back into the murky depths, based on the date of last post before the deleted post.

This no longer happens. A post gets deleted, the unread button stays lit and the thread remains at the top to the pile.

Really annoying and something that the programmers claim to be working on

P

Collapse -
Translation
by Jimmy Greystone / April 5, 2011 11:26 PM PDT

Translation: Someone screwed up the SQL query.

Working on it my **** though. There's only a couple of possible places where this bug could be, so sorting it out should be MAYBE an afternoon's worth of work to find it, and fix it... Maybe a day or two to test it on a non-public server, then roll it out. That is, unless when they were building this forum software they failed to take this fairly regular contingency into account and are now trying to retrofit it. That could take some time, and would also be a sign of very poor project management at the outset. I know hindsight is always perfect, but not properly updating the modification date of the thread when removing spam, or a post for any other reason, really is pretty inexcusable.

As a workaround, until it actually gets fixed, it might be a good idea for someone to leave a message saying they deleted a post. Especially if it's a particularly old thread. Think I saw Mark Flax doing that on some other forum.

Collapse -
The OP was waiting for a mbp refresh
by ziptie / April 6, 2011 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Translation

and a new mbp has just been released. That is what made me look at the dates.

That was interesting what you wrote about the inefficient process scheduler, and the heat problems. my brother in law is looking at used win7 laptops. Is there any particular ones he should stay away from?

I'm confused what you said about the walled garden. Were you referring to OSX. If anything is in a walled garden, it would be Apple's iOS.

Collapse -
All non-Sandy Bridge
by Jimmy Greystone / April 6, 2011 10:49 AM PDT

All non-Sandy Bridge Core i7 systems, and probably i5s as well. Any gaming laptop should also be avoided like the plague, Sandy Bridge CPU or no. Where I work we have had HUGE problems with Toshiba's Qossimo line. I don't work on those, so can't really give you much in the way of specifics, just that what must truly be a "Duh!" moment, the problem is almost invariably that they have two discrete video cards sandwiched one on top of the other, then they overheat, die, and Toshiba's had a real hard time keeping those parts in stock.

I think it was some HP systems that were literally melting. Don't know any specific models, but HP was the moron OEM stuffing desktop CPUs into laptops.

And the walled garden argument can be extended beyond just software. Your hardware options are fewer with Apple. You have basically 6 computer models to choose from, and a limited number of hardware configuration options within each one. More than that, you can't just go out and buy any random video card, printer, or several other things because you need the Mac OS X support.

There are certainly some compelling arguments for both sides of that particular argument, but it's a matter of choice. What you're looking to get out of the device/computer will ultimately decide what works best for you. I let the people with no life spend their time arguing the various merits of either side.

Collapse -
All right
by rfmintour / November 6, 2011 3:32 PM PST

Success.

Collapse -
The OP was waiting for a mbp refresh
by tranhoa123456 / May 6, 2011 12:55 PM PDT

they are very outdated.....you would need to be a apple lover or only
use macs because thats all you know how to use if you do pick a mac book
over a core i5/i7 for the same price thats really what it comes down to.
^^.

Collapse -
Did you really need
by Jimmy Greystone / May 6, 2011 2:07 PM PDT

Did you really need to create a second account just to post the exact same message like 2 months later?

If you want to buy a PC fine, go right ahead, it's nothing to me... I just wonder why it is you feel so threatened by someone ELSE buying a Mac... Someone who isn't you... Someone you probably don't know... Someone you probably never will know... What do you care? You aren't paying for it, you aren't using it, and it in no way impedes you from buying a PC laptop if such is your inclination. Yet you apparently feel so strongly about it that you create two accounts with which to post basically the exact same message. Why is that? Please do enlighten the rest of the group. Your first post was already a little methinks the lady doth protest too much, but posting the same basic message twice, under two different accounts... Hopefully you don't need me to spell out just how sad that comes off.

It's time to get over whatever perceived deficiency you have, because I've got news for you: Nobody cares. Whatever it is that is fueling your insecurity, nobody cares. Fact of the matter is, people really don't spend that much time paying attention to us as we like to think they do. Maybe you should spend a little more time on some introspection about whatever it is you don't like about yourself so that you don't project your own self-loathing onto others, which only serves to alienate those people you are reaching out to. That would be a far more productive use of your time than creating multiple accounts to post the same message which is incredibly simplistic, ignores several important factors, and generally lacks a logical foundation.

And for those of us who have the attention span of a fruit fly with ADD, here's the two word summary: Grow up!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.