Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Laptop with no Operating System

by coeurdalene / October 22, 2007 2:36 PM PDT

Is it possible to purchase a brand new laptop with no operating system? I would like for someone to sort of custom build one if it's possible. CDA

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop with no Operating System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop with no Operating System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info, please.
by lacsr / October 22, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

You can do just about anything. What do you mean by "I would like for someone to sort of custom build one if it's possible."
If you mean custom build the laptop, then it really depends on what you want. If you go to the Dell web site or HP site, for example, you more or less custom build a laptop by the selections you make as to what you want included. If you mean custom build the OS, now that is a different story. You would need a programmer for that.

Collapse -
Custom Laptop
by coeurdalene / October 23, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: More info, please.

What I would like is to have XP instead of Vista and still have the laptop under warranty. I do want a new laptop with a fast processor. I don't want a lot of extra junk that I wouldn't use. I have heard that Vista isn't compatable with some older programs. CDA

Collapse -
You will have to check with the manufacterer
by lacsr / October 23, 2007 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Custom Laptop

I would think that the manufacturer will not use XP as they are into Vista but you can ask. You may have to go to a local shop to get XP installed as the OS for a new laptop. You possible could find a new old stock laptop that has XP installed but that would limit your choices. Doing the switch yourself is a possibility but you can check the forums as people are doing the switch and having problems finding drivers for the new hardware that will work with XP instead of Vista. Also, that would probably void the warranty.

Collapse -
Check with the manufacturer of choice ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 24, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Blank Laptop
by coeurdalene / October 25, 2007 3:29 PM PDT

Thank you. I will read up on these suggestions. So far I haven't found anyone offering XP.
CDA

Collapse -
Then You Didn't Check Those Links Carefully
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Blank Laptop

For example, Searching through the HP link Edward suggested:

Balanced Mobility Notebook PCs

Checking the notebooks at the link above will show you some are offered in both Vista and XP Pro. Click on the "Configure PC" link and you can configure it as you choose.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Warranty and Remedy
by whmurray / October 27, 2007 12:14 AM PDT

It should be clear to you by now that getting any current OS is easy. Installing and running an OS of your choice will not void your warranty. The problem is the remedy available to you under your warranty.

The ability of your supplier to support your system may be a function of the OS that you have installed. Many depend upon the presence of a particular OS to offer you support. There is clearly an upper bound to the number of operating systems that a supplier can know about, much less be skilled in. Some, but not all, suppliers will only support your system if you have the operating system with which the device was shipped.

Most suppliers can support "current" versions of Windows (e.g. XP, Vista) but almost none can support a system with Linux unless they sold it with Linux, some not even then.

My sense is that if one has to ask your question, one can expect to want support and is better off with a "standard" build.

Collapse -
Thank you
by coeurdalene / October 29, 2007 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty and Remedy

Thank you to all for the advice. I'm going through it all and will make a decision with the help of the local programmers.

CDA

Collapse -
changing OS can or WILL void warranty
by skyhaskins / August 13, 2008 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Warranty and Remedy

Dell WILL NOT SUPPORT anything other than the as ordered OS - since many issues can be driver oriented - changing OS VOIDS the technical support. to receive support system MUST be returned to FACTORY SHIPPED condition ( easy to re-image CTRL+F11 on reboot (XP) or select 'Dell Factory Image Restore' on Vista

Collapse -
As far as "all that junk I won't use,"...
by Paul C / August 17, 2008 6:34 PM PDT

...you might get stuck with that in many cases, as the PC makers rely on revenue from the software manufacturers to hold costs down.

However, there is a free app called the PC Decrapifier that does a great job of deleting that stuff from your new PC's hard drive without any problems for you. Get it at http://pcdecrapifier.com/ and make it the first program you run on your new laptop.

HTH, Paul

Collapse -
There are altenatives beyond MicroSoft. Live CDs and Linux.
by wvchris / December 7, 2014 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: More info, please.

Loading an operating system other than any of the Microsoft OS's is easy. When booting up, press the F2 or F8 or some other function that the BIOS requires, then you should see a heading called BOOT or BOOT SEQUENCE and from there you should be able to put your CD/DVD drive first in the boot order and maybe USB device before the harddrive. Download the boot image of a Linux you would like to try and burn it to a DVD and boot from it. If you like to try it before you install it. You can do a lot of tasks at one time on such a linux configuration. The bootable DVD is great for folks that are not technical. They can go anywhere, but their OS cannot be infected because it is rebooted from a non-writeable medium. Libre-Office has tons of capabiulity without the cost. Source Forge (sf.net) has tons of software that can be downloaded for free. You can also make the bootable device writeable. Most of these Linuxes can be loaded to a USB thumb drive that can be used and updated. It doesn't take much to do this. There is also the install of the Linux to the hard-drive. Loading a new OS can be loaded a lot easier than you might have been lead to believe.

Collapse -
This might be your simplest route
by Dango517 / October 23, 2007 10:20 PM PDT

I just double checked the HP site and saw no custom builds. They might have them but I didn't see any.

Here's the link:

http://www.dell.com/

I am not tracking this thread.

Collapse -
Five OS available on one example
by mikedelugg / October 26, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

I just went to Dell, and in the left hand column, picked the lightest weight, just for the halibut.... I got this:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/results.aspx/notebooks?~ck=anav&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&a=15~0~70&navla=15~0~70

Before you even begin to customize it, they list 3 versions of Vista and both versions of XP being available. I'm sure there are plenty more.

You just have to poke around a bit.

Best,
M

Collapse -
Customized Laptop
by sjulty / October 26, 2007 11:48 AM PDT

I agree, for me, Vista is "not ready for prime time"
so my choice/preference would be XP-Pro, hands down.

As mentioned in some of the other post, you will
have more OS options if you look at Dell or HP's
enterprise/business offerings rather than the
Small Office/Home Office/consumer products.

While researching new laptops for a client recently,
I discovered a few things...

1) Both Dell & HP still offer XP as an option but, you
will most certainly end up paying a premium price for it.

2) There are not as many different models and/or hardware
options to choose from.

On the positive side, purchasing an enterprise level computer
will almost guarantee the exclusion of most of the "crapware"
that these mass-market computer sellers load onto the units
aimed at the consumer market.

Collapse -
lenovo
by aeschulusa / October 26, 2007 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Customized Laptop

Lenovo offers XP with a variety of customizations.

Collapse -
New Laptop with no OS
by dmogwe / October 26, 2007 4:25 PM PDT

From my experience you can get some vendors who sell such hardware, giving the user the choice of the OS they want to use. it is entirely up to you to chose and load the OS of your choice.

Collapse -
More choices...
by chucknobucks / October 26, 2007 4:40 PM PDT

I'm also planning on picking up a good notebook with XP Pro. Hoping that as XP phases out, there will be some good deals to be had. The two at the top of my list are:

If you want to have a notebook assembled with no O/S, get in touch with M-TECH Laptops. Call & they will assemble a laptop in your price range that will be compatible with whatever operating system you choose. O/S installed or not.
http://www.m-techlaptops.com/indexofnotebooks.htm

The Fujitsu V1010 comes with either XP Pro or Vista and each has two levels of price/option combinations. Very good reviews.
http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=V1010

Collapse -
Dellbuntu
by 3rdalbum / October 26, 2007 7:31 PM PDT
In reply to: More choices...

Another option, if you're already got a copy of XP that you want to install, would be to buy one of the Ubuntu laptops that Dell offers. You could either keep Ubuntu on it and install Windows XP into a virtualiser like Virtualbox (don't worry, Linux preinstalled is easy to use and quite a lot of fun!); or you could wipe the hard drive completely and install Windows XP directly on the hardware.

Go to the Dell website (www.dell.com) and choose "Open-source PCs" from the left side. Then select Ubuntu.

Collapse -
XP install on laptops
by sky381213 / October 26, 2007 7:27 PM PDT

Acer laptops were still installing XP with a free update online to Vista. I not also that here in the UK Morgan Computers have some refurb jobs that are 17" widescreen if you are limited on cash.

Check on the boxes, many might actually still be XP with an upgrade option - specially places like Dixons, but you nede to be confident that you will get all the right drivers for the build you want.

Collapse -
re laptop with no Operating System
by uesquebeathus / December 9, 2014 12:44 PM PST

Hi, i will always remember a couple in a que at a IT supplies company arguing over the fact that they did not want to give any money to Microsoft and thought that Linux was a raciest software from South Africa so they did not want to buy that either. They still complained that the Computer was not working it started and stoped at C:\ and would not do anything else and they wanted there money back for the company selling them a machine that would not work, they went on for a long time shouting over this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.