Networking & Wireless

General discussion

New Laptop will not stay connected to Linksys WRT54GX4

by pjazz / April 12, 2008 3:49 PM PDT

I have a new Dell Latitude which replaced an older dell latitude. My old dell had no problems connecting wirelessly to my router. The new one connects then a few minutes later locks up the router. I have to reboot the router for it to start working again. Its using windows xp
professionl service pack 2. If I plug into the wired connection it works fine. It also connects fine wirelessly at work. Any Ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop will not stay connected to Linksys WRT54GX4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop will not stay connected to Linksys WRT54GX4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New = warranty
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 10:21 PM PDT

But is this setup per our forum sticky? If not there are some machines that won't stay connected due to drivers. But I've seen owners that can't work the issue and won't go with what works and lose many months trying to get it fixed. Let's share those router settings and try it per our forum sticky.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved
by pjazz / April 13, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: New = warranty

I initially tried to update the firmware on my router but was using the wrong file. I downloaded and installed the correct file and it worked like a champ. Thanks

Collapse -
I am having exactly the same problem.

I am having exactly the same problem with a used Dell Latitude I just purchased. I can connect to my network at home but when I try to connect here at work the Laptop sees the network, says I have excellent signal strength but limited or no connectivity.

When I try to repair the connection the laptop is unable to acquire a new IP.

The router is a linxsys WAP54g.

Can anyone help?

Collapse -
Let's try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

I find used machines often need the OS reloaded according to the maker's instructions.

Try that!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.