Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

New Laptop - Trying to connect to Comcast

by janewb / December 13, 2008 10:58 AM PST

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop. I am trying to connect to Comcast with a cable modem. I know the connection works and that the actual cable works because it is working on another laptop that I have. It is an Ethernet cable

When I connect it to the new laptop I do not see the lights go on in the port. When I try to connect to the internet and us IE, it says it can't find a connection. Also, Windows Vista keeps trying to have me set up a connection and put in a User Name and password which I never had to do on my old laptop.

Prior to getting this laptop, I got one a couple of weeks ago and I had EXACTLY the same problem. I spent hours on the phone with Dell and they finally came to the conclusion that there was a problem with the ethernet port. They were scheduled to send a technician out, but unfortunately the laptop was stolen the next day. I am not convinced that it is a problem with the cable or the port.

Should I be doing something different? I also tried unplugging/replugging the modem (I don't have a router) and restarting the laptop once the cable was attached. Help! I do not want to call Dell Support as I am sure it is something much simpler. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop - Trying to connect to Comcast
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop - Trying to connect to Comcast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you call Comcast to help setup connection?
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 12:37 PM PST
Collapse -
a bit of help here
by mementh / December 13, 2008 2:30 PM PST

(Disclamer: Comcast Phone Rep, I am on the forums on my own and not representing Comcast)

first reboot both your computer and modem (unplug from power for 10 seconds and if its a modem that has a phone option remove the battery while you do this (phone will also loose connection)

then connect up the ethernet and see if you can get a connection.
If not call 1-800 Com Cast and the rep can help you.

Take care

Collapse -
solved my same problem in 5 mins
by julieivers / January 9, 2009 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: a bit of help here

THANKS so much, I forgot or didnt know about the battery in the modem but as soon as I removed it and restarted MY Dell 1520 connected automatically. You are the best!

Collapse -
woot
by mementh / January 9, 2009 4:51 AM PST

glad it fixed it man Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Does Vista have the Network Setup Wizard?
by Coryphaeus / December 13, 2008 2:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Cable internet connection
by janewb / December 13, 2008 8:37 PM PST

Thanks for your replies. I did contact Comcast and they came to the conclusion that I needed to talk to Dell. They did get to a point in their troublshooting checklist where they asked me to switch ends of the cable going into the modem and laptop. This was after I explained that the cable was working fine and I had just used it (the same end) in another laptop.

I have tried switching off the modem and rebooting the laptop. Is there any order in which it should be done.

I also went through the Vista setup wizard, but it wasn't really helpful. It insisted I needed a user name and password to connect to my ISP, which I never needed before. And once the connection was set up and I tried to connect, a box would come up saying it was dialing (?). During the setup process, all I could select was that it was a Broadband or DSL and what the name and password was. I didn't go into any of the advanced settings though.

As I mentioned,when I put the cable in the laptop, I hear it click in, but my laptop is not recognizing it. On my other laptop, for example if I take the cable out, a little message pops up saying a network cable has been disconnected. When I called Dell on the other laptop with the exact same problem, they had me check IP addresses, uninstall and reinstall drivers and all sorts of things and then said they would send a technician because they thought there was a hardware problem. But because now I have another laptop with the exact same issue, I do not think it is a hardware problem, but something else but I don't know what.

Thanks

Collapse -
not sure man
by mementh / December 14, 2008 7:57 AM PST

for some reason your going into dial up? or something?

under control panel you should have "Network and Sharing Centre"
what is there ? can you setup a new network connection? (trying to help/tech support but its going to be a slow process via forums)

Collapse -
Was a cable issue
by janewb / December 16, 2008 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: not sure man

I purchased a new ethernet cable and the problem is resolved. I am still stumped - my existing cable worked fine with my existing laptop, but wasn't recognized by by new laptop. Thanks.

Collapse -
np
by mementh / December 16, 2008 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Was a cable issue

coulda been anything from a slight connection on the old where it was ok or the new one is not pressing up as hard?

reguardless.. cheers to getting it fixed Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.