Smart Home & Appliances forum

General discussion

New internet installation

by arizonabikes / June 26, 2013 9:58 AM PDT

I am a new Comcast customer who had internet and phone service installed just yesterday. (Waiting for confirmation of fiber optic in my neighborhood before I get TV service. )

The question is about the wire cable installed from the signal source at the rear of my house around to the front office where my computers are. I have just remodeled my older home and have painted and prettied up the exterior. As part of this, I had a professional some months ago rewire the various existing wires and cables under the eves for a neater appearance. The Comcast contractor yesterday insisted that running the internet cable from the back of the house to the front would best be done over the fascia and across the roof. When I asked to run the cable around the house under the eves with the rest of the wires, he said that the extra 20-30 feet of cable required for this "could" deteriorate my signal to such an extent as to lower speeds considerably and that I "could" be unhappy with the result. I have little knowledge of these matters, so I immediately called a tech at Comcast and she rather unconfidently said that yes that 20-30 extra feet "could" have such a slowing effect. Her supervisor said the same with the same lack of conviction: it "could". Now I live in the desert Southwest. It was hot outside. My conspiratorial side comes out and I wonder if the installers are just trying to avoid all the under-eave stapling, get done with the job, and get home. Were the Comcast techs beyond their depth?

And every Comcast person I spoke with said "could" too many times. When you think about it, almost everything in the world "could" happen. For those of you with more knowledge of these matters than I, "could" the speed be slowed by a few extra feet of cable? If it "could" be, how much and how likely is it? Incidentally, I am quite happy with the speed - nice, but I just don't like that big black wire running over the roof and down my newly painted fascia.

I thank you appreciatively for lending me you thoughts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New internet installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New internet installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah Well
by itsdigger / June 26, 2013 10:28 AM PDT

all of the miles of cable it took to get that wire to your house could all get sun burnt and brittle too but that didn't stop them from running it. I would have made them run the wire the way you wanted it. You pay them for a service and should have it your way.

Collapse -
I seriously doubt significant slowdown
by wpgwpg / June 26, 2013 11:05 AM PDT

I always heard about a nanosecond's delay for every foot of wiring. Now when you figure 30 feet is .03 microseconds delay, it would seem obvious to the casual observer that they're BSing you. I've been using Comcast for Internet and TV for more years than I can remember and we added phone service about 3 years ago. In my experience with them about 1 in 4 of their technicians knows what he's talking about, and even then not in great depth. I'm in the southeast and you're in the southwest, so it could be different where you are, but it sure sounds like you're being BSed to me.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
File a Complaint
by sunwatcher / June 26, 2013 11:29 AM PDT

Running a cable over the roof is unprofessional and sloppy. An extra 30 feet of cable would not have made a bit of difference. Unfortunately this sort of thing is done more often than you might realize. I recommend filing a complaint with Comcast early and often until it is fixed to your satisfaction. Hopefully your complaint will get through to the right person.

Collapse -
Issue resolved
by arizonabikes / June 30, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: File a Complaint

After having read these postings and others I got in touch with Comcast about the across-the-roof-install. They sent someone out, the cable was installed under the eaves (25 minutes) as I requested, and it looks much, much better. As far as I can tell the download speeds are exactly the same. The upload speed is, if anything, actually faster. Thanks to you all the problem solved.

As a humorous wrap-up, here are some issues I had discussed with Comcast directly in an online chat and how they were resolved:

1. I insisted that an employee of Comcast, not a sub-contractor, come and check the installation. Comcast agreed. I confirmed this, and reconfirmed this.

The original sub-contractor appeared.

2. Comcast set a firm 11-1pm time window which I had to firmly agree to.

The sub-contractor came at 7:45am.

3. Comcast warned me that I would get 3 pre-arrival phone calls to which I had to respond correctly, or the appointment would be cancelled.

Guess. That's right, nada. Just the doorbell.

4. And as a further chuckle, the original install had the cable just popping into the room out of jagged hole in the drywall. ("The company doesn't give us anything to use there. You can get something at ACE.") Now, there is a nice connector and faceplate. Company policy obviously has shifted.

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.