Computer Help forum

General discussion

New HP G60 laptop, usb ports all dead

by altf2junkie / August 10, 2009 1:24 PM PDT

So I just bought a new laptop (less than 3 days ago) and was enjoying it today (it is rather great) when my usb wireless mouse refused to respond. I was unconcerned at first, until I replaced the batteries and found that it still didn't work. After reinstalling the drivers, it still didn't work.

So, I've come to the conclusion that it's not the mouse's fault, but rather the usb ports'. I've uninstalled all the usb port drivers as well in Device Manager, and subsequently restarted and reinstalled the drivers - no dice.

Can anyone help me? It's a brand new laptop and I don't want to have to trade it in so soon. Any help appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HP G60 laptop, usb ports all dead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HP G60 laptop, usb ports all dead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First off
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2009 1:43 PM PDT

First off, have you tested ANY other USB devices? A corded USB mouse maybe, a USB flash drive, ANYTHING that will tell you whether the ports are indeed working or not.

And if they're not, call up HP, or even take it back to the store you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

Collapse -
by altf2junkie / August 10, 2009 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: First off

I've tested a corded mouse, a flash drive, and an mp3 player. None work. So I've already emailed HP - their chat is down - and I should be getting a response soon. However, if someone happens to have a solution, I'd still be glad to hear it.

Collapse -
Don't email, CALL
by Jimmy Greystone / August 10, 2009 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Re;

Don't email, CALL. All an email rep is going to tell you is that they can't help you, you need to call their support line. I have yet to find a company that offers RMAs via email for something like this.

As a small aside, this is the sort of thing that keeps me from even looking at HP systems whenever I'm in the market for a new computer. Shoddy build quality will do it every time. You take a look at all the whiz-bang features in the thing, and then you just look to see what it would cost to build something similar yourself sourcing parts from a site like NewEgg. Then you have to wonder if their economies of scale are really so great, that they can sell the system for only an extra $100-$200 than the CPU alone costs in lots of 1,000, and still have everyone in the supply chain make a profit without cutting any corners on quality. Generally speaking, even if you factor in the use of cheap asian slave labor to assemble the things, I have yet to figure out a way to make the numbers add up without SOMETHING having to give.

Collapse -
Fast. Take it back to the store.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

At 3, 4 days some stores have an 15 day exchange window. Why not?

Collapse -!
by Willy / August 10, 2009 11:15 PM PDT

To have issues with USB so soon isn't good. Use the warranty now as some return policies get muddled, the sooner the better. If this happens again on the replacement system or after repairs, return it and ask for refund, period. Keep records, jot calls, actions done, etc. don't let them string you along.

When you ask for help PROVIDE ALL DETAILS. This HP laptop maybe a known problematic system.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.