TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

New home theater system help....

by Fishweiser / March 28, 2013 1:49 AM PDT

Im considering buying a Samsung HT-E6500W 5.1 Channel 1000-Watt 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System from amazon. Im also considering buying a Bose cinemate II.

What I like about the Bose Cinemate II is that you basically plug it into the TV, then it works in place of the TV speakers. They will work with no matter what you have going, xbox, blue ray, etc without having to configure or manually match components. I really like this feature a lot.

What I like about the Samsung is that it has wireless rear speakers. I really like the rear speakers, and I definitely need them to be wireless which is basically why Im considering the samsung.

Both are about as much as I want to spend on a system, each has a feature I want, but not 1 has both the features I want.

If there was something out there that could make the Samsung system work like the Bose. Where I can come home, turn the TV on play Xbox, or a DVD and have sound without having to mess with the receiver, that would be ideal.

Anybody have a cheap simple solution or alternative system for $600.00 or less?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New home theater system help....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New home theater system help....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please give more details about your entire system
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

We can help in greater detail if you provide additional info, such as HDTV type, connections, cable or sat boxes, etc.
Be as verbose as possible so we know everything on your end Wink

Personally, I think the Samsung may already everything you need it to do, with help from us here.

Collapse -
hope this helps!
by Fishweiser / March 28, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

Im at work, and Im not the smartest when it comes to electronics, but I can tell you Its a Panasonic TV, not sure of the model number, it has several HDMI connections, a digital audio out (?) and several of the RCA plugs for audio and video. What I would be running is just the TV, I will use the blue ray player, and an Xbox and a wii that I would like play through the system. Hope this helps.

Im just nor reading about HDMI auto switchers,...Not exactly sure what these are, but it kinda seems like theres a potential answer here...

Collapse -
When you get home...
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: hope this helps!

...post the model numbers back here. It can make a difference which Model you have.

Collapse -
OK...
by Fishweiser / March 28, 2013 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: When you get home...

I will try to post tonight. I can tell you its a 55 inch panasonic viera 1080p plasma tv i bought from best buy around 3 years ago. It was on sale because it was an older model, and the 3d tv's just started to come out at that time. One other thing I failed to mention, I also have direct tv with one of their DVR boxes ill be using. Not sure if this can narrow it down enough for you.

Collapse -
Makes a big difference- thanks
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: OK...

Until we know the actual HDTV model number to be 100% certain, here's how I would connect everything:

DirecTV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HT system

Xbox (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung

Wii (Component-RGB out) --> (Component-RGB in) Panasonic HDTV *provided it has these inputs

Wii (red/white audio out) --> (red/white audio in = "Aux in") Samsung HT system

Samsung HT system (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Panasonic HDTV

Collapse -
Thank you very much.....
by Fishweiser / March 28, 2013 5:46 AM PDT

Just to be sure, will this work where I wont have to sort through bunch of channels to find and match each component?

My old system was a cheap panasonic 7.1 channel. It sounded great, but it was too frustrating to use. Mostly because it wouldn't work properly. It had like 6 channels to select through, and it would loose the LCD programming and go to a default code for each channel that didnt make sense. So when I wanted to pair the system to the TV, id have to scan through each channel.....on top of that, there was a 30 second lag before the speakers kicked in. So id have to wait for half a minute to see if the channel I selected would match the component I was wanting to use. This is what turned my attention to the recieverless types like the Bose cinemate II systems. No channels or having to match the components ever!.....only problem is, theres not many recieverless options to choose from and nothing out there made like that is surround sound like the Samsung I'm looking at.

Collapse -
Two things
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2013 11:53 AM PDT

Sort through channels? Like on old TVs where 2 was the TV and channel 3 or 4 were the VCR?

Nope. Those days are over. But you will however have to select the between inputs on the Samsung model so the correct input gets the sound. It's very straight forward though, esp. considering you don't have that many inputs per se. (Adding the Bose wouldn't change having to do this, btw). Also, the reason the Wii is connected via video cables to the HDTV is because your Samsung HT system lacks ample inputs for everything you have. On the HDTV, for playing back Wii you will have to select that input, provided it has component RGB.

The Bose Cinemate won't give you surround sound either. 2.1 is for the birds if you have the option for proper 5.1 surround at your disposal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.