Computer Help forum

Question

New HDMI cable will not work from pc to tv

by herropreeze / January 2, 2013 6:56 AM PST

I recently got a new hdmi cable and it will not display my computer on my tv. The old one that I just had to get rid of worked fine. I plugged in the cable to my xbox just to make sure it wasn't a faulty cable and sure enough, it worked with my xbox. Ive tried just about everything I can think of fn + f8, connect projecter, changing resolutions, shutting both off and starting each seperately, etc. If anyone has any idea why this cable wouldn't work with my computer while the other one did just days ago please let me know.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New HDMI cable will not work from pc to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New HDMI cable will not work from pc to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly I've seen this happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:03 AM PST

I had to replace the video card because they wore out the HDMI port. Ouch.
Bob

Collapse -
Port was barely used :/
by herropreeze / January 2, 2013 8:11 AM PST

I will have to try my girlfriends hdmi cable because i know that one worked before just to see if it will work. I have barely used the hdmi port but idk guess I will have to try and see if it works.

Collapse -
Given the story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:13 AM PST

I don't have much to go on. If you suspect the cable, try one of those AmazonBasics cables. Under 10 bucks and well made.
Bob

Collapse -
funny thing
by herropreeze / January 2, 2013 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Given the story.

it actually is an amazon basics cable. I was literally using a different cable up to 2 days ago working perfectly fine.

Collapse -
PS. About use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Given the story.

These ports are usually pretty good. But as you can imagine the pressure is on for low cost and we could get a speck of foreign material in there and it's game over.

You didn't write anything about changing settings so I'm using that to omit any setting or driver ideas.
Bob

Collapse -
No changes.
by herropreeze / January 2, 2013 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: PS. About use.

I just plugged it in as i normally do, im pretty lost as to what it could be, it worked fine with my xbox so i don't think its the cable but idk.

Collapse -
(NT) We would need another HDMI display for the last test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: No changes.
Collapse -
Tried with different tv.
by herropreeze / January 4, 2013 2:48 AM PST

Went over to a friends house tried both my cable on his tv and his cable on his tv and both worked. Something with my cable and my tv apparently is not working, I don't know how cable brand could effect it but it looks like it may be the case.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 2:56 AM PST

Looking up I don't see make and model of everything.

It you look this up you find folk with HDMI port issues on TVs. SOMETIMES the TV needs a time out. You unplug all the cables from the TV including power then go have lunch. Come back and plug in just the AC and the one connection you need to work and it starts to work.

There are some theories on this. Most have to do with Intel's HDMI chips and the code that runs in those chips. They get loopy and won't handshake with new devices. HDCP is, frankly and in IMO a consumer unfriendly idea. It also complicates the system and as you know the more complicated the system the more likely it is to fail.
Bob

Collapse -
Ill try unplugging it.
by herropreeze / January 4, 2013 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

The model of the tv is a sony bravia KDL-32BX331 and the computer is a dell studio 15.

Collapse -
update
by mocefish / January 4, 2013 5:04 PM PST
In reply to: Ill try unplugging it.

the TV software probably

Collapse -
Loopy is a good word
by speidi1 / January 4, 2013 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

Back when I was a kid supporting windows software and things were going 'loopy' you learn to shut down, wait a minute, start the machine back up, The primary rule here is do the easy stuff first. I'm not saying nine times out of ten the loopines goes away, but it's better than five. Good luck.

Collapse -
Possibility
by holedout / January 4, 2013 12:04 PM PST

I assume you used your laptop at your friends house in this test. If so, and if the new cable worked there, it sounds like the hdmi port on the television has gone bad

Collapse -
Answer
HDMI cables
by lakefever / January 4, 2013 9:57 AM PST

I would get another cable. You need a nitrogen filled, 115 million gigahertz capacity, 460mm, gold plated platinum connectors( with signal saving enhancers preferred). and dont spend under $150!!
Seriuosly my opinion would be to try another cable, and it does not have be an expensive cable. you could have other issues, but without being there its a shot in the dark for me to guess, there are more variables than my knowledge can handle. C-net did a 3 part article on HDMI cables a while back. It made some good points about cheap vs expensive cables and what to look for. The main thing is the conector and how well its connected to cable. Since this is a digital signal, either you have it or you dont. In your case, you dont. If you can connect to something else and it works, use the same cable on your equipment to see if it works. It seems like a cable or connector problem to me.

Collapse -
Already sent the cable back.
by herropreeze / January 5, 2013 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI cables

At this point with other cables working for my tv I have sent back the cable for a new one of a different brand. Hoping that it solves my problem.

Collapse -
Answer
different plug profile?
by Droid / January 4, 2013 5:16 PM PST

This might be a long shot, but worth checking.
I sometimes find that USB memory sticks don't work in my PC because the plastic case won't allow the plug to go all the way in. Some memory sticks have a longer plug than others ... compare your hmdi plugs & see if there's any difference in length. Maybe it just isn't going all the way in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.