Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Forum Feedback & Announcements

Rant

New font is terrible

by loose_screw / October 10, 2011 / 1:22 PM UTC

The new font is so hard to read in Chrome and IE. What was CNET thinking? Now I know what 80 year olds must feel like when they try to read with their failing eyesights.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New font is terrible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New font is terrible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New site sucks
by prberg / October 10, 2011 / 2:39 PM UTC
In reply to: New font is terrible

I agree.. I find the new site really hard to read! I am using Firefox. I like the color scheme, but I just find the text hard to read. It also seems that I have to scroll more to read the stories (font is much bigger now?). Please fix it!

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback on the font.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 11, 2011 / 10:22 AM UTC

I will pass this feedback to the appropriate CNET team.

Thanks again,
-Lee

Collapse -
Just to provide a different perspective.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 / 11:15 AM UTC

I like the changes to the fonts compared to the old ones.

But I do realise this is a matter of personal preference.

Mark

Collapse -
Are you kidding me?
by loose_screw / October 11, 2011 / 4:15 PM UTC

Who would enjoy reading a font like this? Only a sadist!

Collapse -
Cleartype font
by alchemistmatt / October 11, 2011 / 9:30 PM UTC
In reply to: Are you kidding me?

Looking at your screenshot, it appears you have Cleartype turned off. I'm going to guess the new font is cleartype optimized, which means it looks horrible when you have Cleartype off. I resisted turning on Cleartype for years, but finally had to do so when I updated to Office 2010.

Collapse -
You are exactly right...
by John.Wilkinson / October 12, 2011 / 4:48 AM UTC
In reply to: Cleartype font

Most modern operating systems have ClearType support enabled by default, but some, particularly Windows XP users, may need to manually enable it. If you do not, fonts in increasingly more programs and websites will look poor.

Hopefully CNET can easily offer an alternative font, but realize that the current font looks MUCH better to most users.

John

Collapse -
Not related to Cleartype
by loose_screw / October 12, 2011 / 8:33 AM UTC
In reply to: Cleartype font

Thanks, but this has nothing to do with cleartype. I know how to enable cleartype and have had no readability issues with any other site than CNET (after the redesign).

Collapse -
Yes, it is...
by John.Wilkinson / October 12, 2011 / 3:17 PM UTC

CNET is using a ClearType font and several people have reproduced the screenshot by disabling ClearType at the OS level, then opening a new window and loading the same page.

And not having readability issues on other websites does not, by itself, mean that the issues on CNET are not ClearType-related. Few sites use ClearType fonts without fallback in case ClearType isn't supported, so I would expect it to be a fairly uncommon issue.

John

Collapse -
Um, no.
by loose_screw / October 13, 2011 / 12:26 PM UTC
In reply to: Yes, it is...

As I stated below, I have cleartype installed. It also looks crap on my macbook, do you want to tell me that's related to cleartype as well???

Collapse -
Strange,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 / 4:56 AM UTC
In reply to: Um, no.

I'm on an iMac, 10.7.2 and Safari 5.1.1, and it looks good.

Collapse -
Ouch, no ClearType
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 5:16 AM UTC
In reply to: Are you kidding me?

That was the first thing I turned on when I got my XP system.

How to enable ClearType.

I don't know why you haven't done that already.

Mark

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to fix link on 10/12/2011 at 9:44 AM PT

Collapse -
Mark, your link is bad
by Josh K / October 12, 2011 / 5:47 AM UTC
In reply to: Ouch, no ClearType
Collapse -
Darn it !
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 5:59 AM UTC
In reply to: Mark, your link is bad
Collapse -
Re: link
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 6:06 AM UTC
In reply to: Darn it !

If I click it it says it's a " borked link or something". You wonder why the software produces borked links. I'll alert this so Lee can file a bug.

I didn't even know the word. Neither does Random House dictionary, by the way: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bork?qsrc=2446
But "borked link" seems to be quite common if I google it.

Kees

Collapse -
It's a political reference
by Josh K / October 12, 2011 / 7:45 AM UTC
In reply to: Re: link

Supporters of Robert Bork felt he was railroaded out of his Supreme Court nomination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bork

Scroll down to the "bork as a verb" section.

Since it's a partisan political reference, perhaps Cnet should choose another word to use on that page (?)

Collapse -
I second Josh
by James Denison / October 14, 2011 / 6:12 PM UTC

A poor choice of word usage on a CNET 404 page.

Collapse -
Josh and James...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 17, 2011 / 4:12 PM UTC
In reply to: I second Josh

I've submitted your feedback to the team who manages that page.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
(NT) and thank you Lee!
by James Denison / October 21, 2011 / 7:59 AM UTC
In reply to: Josh and James...
Collapse -
This has nothing to do with cleartype
by loose_screw / October 12, 2011 / 8:35 AM UTC

Try using Windows remote desktop connection and this is how fonts look regardless of whether you have cleartype turned on or not. Please don't make assumptions.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove offensive word on 10/12/2011 at 3:04 PM PT

Collapse -
You use Remote Desktop to view CNET
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 9:22 AM UTC

or are you saying that when connected to a remote workstation via RDP, the fonts always look like your picture?

Collapse -
Clarification.
by loose_screw / October 12, 2011 / 1:17 PM UTC

I'm just stating a way to duplicate this problem (at least according to my own testing). However, my font looks like crap regardless of whether I am using RDP or not, even with cleartype enabled.

Collapse -
Assumptions
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 10:54 AM UTC

I will ignore the 'asinine'.

You say not to make assumptions. This is your 4th post here, and only now you tell some of the circumstances. I fail to see how anyone could make anything but assumptions with such lack of detail.

And of course, we still do not know the full details. You might want to provide more, but as for me, I will leave you to it.

Mark

Collapse -
by loose_screw / October 13, 2011 / 10:20 AM UTC
In reply to: Assumptions

Sorry, I'm just really frustrated with this issue. I want my old font back!

Collapse -
I understand your frustration...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 13, 2011 / 3:11 PM UTC
In reply to: ..

And as I've said previously I will and have forwarded your feedback to the team.

Thanks,
-Lee

Collapse -
Mark I fixed your link
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 12, 2011 / 9:54 AM UTC
Collapse -
Thanks Lee
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 / 10:56 AM UTC
In reply to: Mark I fixed your link
Collapse -
The equal sign has always been required.
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 12, 2011 / 1:03 PM UTC
In reply to: Thanks Lee

Nothing has changed. That is of course, unless John messed with it. Wink

{url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306527}{b}How to enable clear type{/b}{/url}.

-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks
by loose_screw / October 12, 2011 / 1:20 PM UTC

I appreciate the link. As a long time computer nerd, I found out about cleartype ages ago and enabled it as soon as it was available as it made the transition from CRT to LCD less painful. The issue that I'm currently experiencing is not related to cleartype, however thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
I agree
by Jim Mims / October 12, 2011 / 2:44 PM UTC
In reply to: Thanks

I agree with loose_screw.
Regardless of needing a tutorial on a workaround just to be able to read this site, I'm slowly going blind with this font. On my (older) work computer which still uses XP and (even older) 1280x1024 monitors the font is faint and very hard to read.

Oh, and thanks for the link for turning on cleartype, I turned it on and it does help. However, I have other applications (Microstation and AutoCAD) that don't play well with cleartype and I'll have to see if there are any problems using them now that I've turned it on.

Collapse -
(NT) I read that! :-D
by John.Wilkinson / October 12, 2011 / 3:19 PM UTC
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions