Windows Vista forum

General discussion

New Folder option missing

by ozzie252 / May 4, 2007 8:58 PM PDT

Windows Vista Business

For some reason I have no "New Folder" option when I right click on the desktop or in the white space in a folder. It's been like this for a couple of weeks and my system restore options are next to useless - they only go back 3 days.

Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Folder option missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Folder option missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No replies!
by ozzie252 / May 5, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

Anyone? Please?

Collapse -
cheap trix
by ozzie252 / May 11, 2007 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: No replies!

posting again to get it to the top (sorry) - any ideas anyone?

Collapse -
(NT) ditto
by ozzie252 / June 1, 2007 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: cheap trix
Collapse -
Word is this is the same as XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: ditto
Collapse -
Nice try!
by ozzie252 / June 4, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

I'm running Vista not XP - tried adding this Reg key without success. Cheers anyway Sad

Collapse -
Sorry. Microsoft needs to catch up on this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice try!

I have reports of this fixing it so this is all I can offer today.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I'll ask around again.

Collapse -
More thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 1:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Cristian.Badila / June 6, 2007 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: More thoughts.

I've got the same problem with the "new folder" option missing from the context menu and I tried the folder and the directory fixes and still nothing...If anyone has any ideea please let me know!

Collapse -
This worked on Win 7
by kumi15 / February 5, 2010 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Help

Registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ (Default)

Value for (Default):

Check if the above settings are applied in registry!

Collapse -
Losing r/w Access To USB HD After Installing/Upgrading Win7
by billfinkri / February 20, 2011 2:24 AM PST

I just installed Win7 out of the box, had it move my old Vista stuff to "Windows.OLD" and all of sudden, too I couldn't read/write to my exernal (FAT formatted no-less) USB external HD.

Just UN plug the USB drive, plug-it back in, right-click on it, go to the security tab, and give everyone read-write, etc... (or what-ever permissions you prefer - at least give YOURSELF "Full.")

It's interesting all of these run-regedit suggestions. You'll only be messing with something that's already a mess to begin with.

Collapse -
MIssing create folder right click option
by abomb888 / August 27, 2011 4:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
I suspect
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

that after 4 years this issue has resolved itself.

Locking this old thread.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.