Peripherals forum

new epson printer "not ready to print"

by mko / May 31, 2012 5:47 PM PDT

i have a problem that involves my printer, but it seems like it might be "something else"

i had an epson c88+ that finally ceased to work, so i decided to buy another.
when the new c88+ came i simply switched it out with the old. i did nothing else. just turned off the computer, switched printers and rebooted.

the new printer didn't print, i got a "printer not ready" check connections" message,,,,which i did. called epson support and got someone who knew nothing and was fumbling with her manual. she thought the printer was not recognizing the ink cartridges(the ink icons were grey and not showing the inks). so i switched out with another set of new cartridges. same result.

so maybe the printer was bad, so i got a replacement from epson, but this time i followed the quick setup just in case. everything went smoothly and no problems with blinking lights etc. but i tried to print and got the same message. i cannot test print either. nor can i perform any maintenance like nozzle clean.

so it's not a printer issue. device manager says the printer device is up and working. everything seems to be okay,,,i think

what's there to do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new epson printer "not ready to print"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new epson printer "not ready to print"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: printer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2012 5:50 PM PDT

This is the right moment to try it on another PC, installing it as a totally new one.

Collapse -
You might try to uninstall the printer first
by Steven Haninger / May 31, 2012 11:00 PM PDT

I'd uninstall the printer, driver, and any related software first. Then check the Epson site for the newest driver and reinstall the printer using that. About all I can think is that something remembered from the old printer didn't reset when you plugged in the new one.

Collapse -
tried that
by mko / June 1, 2012 8:27 AM PDT

it was one of the first things i tried, epson didn't seem to fully uninstall. even after untinstalling, the printer was still recognized,,,,very weird. like it didn't want to go away

Collapse -
Removal tool
by mopscare42 / June 5, 2012 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: tried that

If you haven't already fixed your problem, Epson has a removal tool just for the problem you are having.
I used it last year and it cleans out everything associated with your old printer. Pop in the new CD that came with the new printer and it worked fine.

Collapse -
Espon Printer
by addemon123 / June 19, 2012 4:15 PM PDT

Firstly uninstall the printer, driver. Then check the Epson site for the newest driver and reinstall the printer using that. About all I can think is that something remembered from the old printer didn't reset when you plugged in the new one and check the all connections of printer properly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.