Desktops forum

Question

New Entry-Mid Level Gaming Rig - Does Everything Work Out?

by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 8:39 AM PDT

Hello, I've built several computers before this so feel free to go into detail. I'm just wondering if all of these specs work with each other and there's no bottlenecking occuring between any of the components. I'll post the specs below:

1. Motherboard: MSI FM1 mATX A55M-P33

2. Processor: AMD A4-3400 APU

3. Chassis: Raygo MT MicroATX Computer Case

4. CPU Fan: Stock

5. RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Master Viper 3 - 1600Mhz DDR3 (Single DIMM) 4GB

6. Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Series 460W

7. GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR3

8. Hard Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" Internal SATA 500GB 7200RPM

9. DVD Drive: LG Internal 24X Multidrive

10. Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

I need to know ASAP whether or not these parts work with each other well in-game. I have a slight feeling that the CPU might bottleneck the GPU but I could be wrong. Let me know. Thanks for your help everyone! Tell me if you need more information on the parts.

Edit: Will this setup allow for dual graphics between the APU and the dedicated GPU?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Entry-Mid Level Gaming Rig - Does Everything Work Out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Entry-Mid Level Gaming Rig - Does Everything Work Out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
MicroATX Computer Case
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 8:54 AM PDT

Sorry but any gaming rig in a micro case has been a disaster. If not right away but 2 years later.

Why are you cramming all this into that small box?
Bob

Collapse -
Micro Gaming Appealing to Some?
by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: MicroATX Computer Case

I thought that gaming in a small form factor computer might be appealing to some people. Also this isn't meant to be some sick computer that I plan on keeping for 7 years. I'm selling it for profit. I don't care what happens to it after I sell it lol...

Collapse -
Refreshing........Honest marketing.
by Bob__B / March 21, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

I'll build you a machine that will never work very well.
If you get much over a year out of it before it croaks consider yourself lucky.
I'll only charge you 100 bucks above my cost.
Sounds like a winner........go for it.

Collapse -
ENTRY LEVEL
by caseysea01 / March 21, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

Whoever is thinking: "Wow there's a computer that can run BF3 on medium no problem - and it only costs $400.00!!", must also be thinking: it won't last very long, and there's gotta be some sort of catch, but to me, and many others, it sounds like a great deal. And plus it'll last longer than a year if you take care of it. There's nothing wrong with the parts, and the multirail psu won't be overloaded.

Collapse -
Answer
Just a opinion
by Bob__B / March 20, 2013 9:07 AM PDT

If you plan on gaming.

Don't do it with a small case.
Don't do it with a micro mobo.
Don't do it with a single stick of ram.
Don't do it with a multi rail psu.

Collapse -
So do it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a opinion

Do it with a normal bix case.
Do it with a normal mobo.
Do it with the number of sticks that gets you the dual or triple channel full speed ram.
Do it with a monster single rail psu.

Gaming is tough. Chuck Norris tough!

Collapse -
Not a Gaming Machine - Entry Level Build
by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: So do it?

I wasn't planning on this to be a monster gaming machine. I'm trying to do a $300 build, and then sell it for $400 or $500. I just wanted the mATX components because I thought a micro gaming desktop might be appealing. Also, 2x2GB was more expensive than 1x4GB, and I really just don't care about the power supply, as long as it works. We're talking about a $20 dollar power supply.

My main question is if everything works together and there's no bottlenecking between the CPU and GPU.

Collapse -
The parts above are a future disaster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

You could give that to me but I would know better than to pay for it. That sort of machine may work for a time then start to error out.

If a company was trying to build a reputation, it would not be good for long.

Let's see what others write.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Let's rejigger this one. How about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 10:02 AM PDT
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-performance,3461-7.html

No, you don't need to get the i7 but look at the comment about the A10.

" AMD's A10-5800K, averaging more than 60 FPS at 1920x1080, is currently much more playable. "

So what happens if you forget the current CPU and video card and try just the noted A10? You can still see if the 20 buck PSU is doable by checking your design to see if you are in the ball park.
Bob
Collapse -
Problem
by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 11:18 AM PDT

The problem with this is that the A10 unlocked version is actually a fair bit more than the graphics card and the A4 combined. The integrated one is far less powerful than the 6750.

I don't want to spend more money, I just want the cheapest build possible that provides the necessary power in game. I just really don't see why there's a problem with the CPU and GPU unless there's bottlenecking, and I don't see why I can't use a mATX board and a micro case? If you could elaborate on that, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Collapse -
No one said you couldn't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem

It was just it was a recipe for problems in the future.

Collapse -
Why!?
by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 11:50 AM PDT

I don't understand why it's a "recipe for problems in the future". What's wrong with it exactly?

Collapse -
(NT) Bob B above gave you the reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2013 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Why!?
Collapse -
Bob B
by caseysea01 / March 20, 2013 12:53 PM PDT

Why Do it with a normal bix case.
Why Do it with a normal mobo.
Why Do it with the number of sticks that gets you the dual or triple channel full speed ram.
Why Do it with a monster single rail psu.

Collapse -
Reasons
by Bob__B / March 20, 2013 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob B

Why Do it with a normal bix case.
Think heat......it's a parts killer.
With a small case you can't get rid of it.

Why Do it with a normal mobo.
A micro mobo is smaller......something has to give.
Either the parts are moved closer together or features get dropped.

Why Do it with the number of sticks that gets you the dual or triple channel full speed ram.
Think ram speed.
If you do it with one stick you'll be running single channel mode.......slow.

Why Do it with a monster single rail psu.
If you do it with a multi rail unit you best get out paper and pencil and verify you don't overload some rail.

If you want to build that unit for 300 and sell it for 400....go for it.
Suggestion........don't sell it to a friend or someone who knows how to find you.

Collapse -
Recommendation
by caseysea01 / March 21, 2013 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Reasons

Can you recommend some parts from TigerDirect Canada that are the same price but would be a better choice?

Collapse -
No!
by Bob__B / March 21, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Recommendation

It's tough to build a mid range gaming rig for much less than 1000 bucks.

Entry level..........you can't build it for less than what Wally-mart is selling it for.

Collapse -
Revamped
by caseysea01 / March 21, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Recommendation

So I managed to change the build a little bit. I'm now going to be mounting the microATX motherboard into a mid-tower case to achieve better airflow. I'm going to be stepping up the power supply from a 460W to a 600W. The new one has three rails, but there is not chance I will be pushing it past it's limits because the current components don't use anything close to it's maximum power. I couldn't find an ATX motherboard for about the same price so I'm going to be sticking with the microATX. I don't think it affects gaming, and there was pretty much no difference between that and a more expensive ATX board.

- Will it be more reliable now?
- Does the CPU bottleneck the GPU in-game?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

GAMING MUCH?

Enter for your chance to win* a game hardware bundle

One lucky winner will walk away with a gaming monitor, keyboard and mouse. Two lucky runners-up will score a gaming headset.