Mac OS forum

General discussion

new emac - how do you batch convert photos from jpeg to tif

by MK / December 22, 2004 1:56 PM PST

I am used to windows and used irfanview which doesn't work on mac. How does one convert hudreds of jpegs to tiff ? if there is not program that comes with the mac, is there a freeware one out there somewhere ? Could you tell me step by
step ? Would appreciate all help
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new emac - how do you batch convert photos from jpeg to tif
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new emac - how do you batch convert photos from jpeg to tif
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
JPEG to TIFF
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 23, 2004 3:17 AM PST

GraphicConvertor will batch convert JPEG to TIFF. However, the question I must ask is why you need to convert 100's of JPEG's to TIFF format. Is it because you think that the Mac will not open JPEG's or is it because a program you are using will only accept TIFF format for insertion? Your emac will open almost all the picture formats, either with Picture Viewer or QuickTime. For those formats that it cannot handle or that you need to convert, there is Graphic Converter. If you have a new emac, running OS X, then you should find GraphicConvertor already there. If not, go here:
http://www.graphic-converter.net/ It is shareware but will run OK but with a nagging screen.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Thanks !
by MK / December 24, 2004 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: JPEG to TIFF

Hi P
Thanks for letting me know about graphic converter. Learning curve for new os is a little steep at the moment on things i don't know.The reason I need
tiffs is for a student run artmag. Don't want to lose image quality by constant opening and closing. Also to archive for the future.
Thanks for your help
M

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 24, 2004 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks !

You're welcome.
The JPG to TIFF makes sense now

glad to be able to help

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by taboma. / January 22, 2005 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Thanks

You are right. Doesn't matter what format you want to convert the files to. You can change all the files from JPEG to TIFF or to EPS, GIFF or anything else. Also backwards to the original and nothing will be lost.
Kevin

Collapse -
Its been answered
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 27, 2005 11:01 PM PST

I wonder why this was the topic in this weeks newsletter. It was posted and answered almost a week ago.
Are we getting short of questions?

Collapse -
by Jim Crabtree / January 27, 2005 11:43 PM PST

I have found the best and fastest way of converting file is by using the file >batch processing feature in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

Collapse -
Batch Convert
by taboma. / February 19, 2005 10:03 AM PST

Jim, You are right! Yet, you did mot tell him how to do it and lead him through it. Some times it really is hard to explain. You have to be a tech writer sometimes. I do not have that time to do that sort of writing. Do you?
Keep your posts coming!
Kevin

Collapse -
by hstolz / January 28, 2005 12:12 AM PST

You can download the shareware - graphic converter at versiontracker.com. It is a wonderful application and will do the job and a lot more!

Collapse -
Convert JPEGs to TIFFs...
by deltaman / January 28, 2005 12:48 AM PST

Depending on the version of Mac OS you're using, a shareware program called GraphicConverter" may already be installed in your Applications folder. If not, it's available from most popular download sites (including CNET).

Please be aware, converting "hundreds" of JPEG images to TIFF format will substantially increase the amount of space required to store those files - without any improvement in image quality. If the program that will ultimately be working with the TIFFs can handle this option, select "LZW Compression" when converting your JPEGs - this will reduce the resulting size of most TIFFs.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
by jwombat / January 28, 2005 1:47 AM PST

Look for GraphicConverter at download.com. It's not free, but it does have a trial mode.

Collapse -
by iLikeMac / January 28, 2005 4:00 AM PST

Adobe Photoshop Elements will convert multiple JPG files to TIFF. Just make sure you purchase the correct version for your operating system.

Collapse -
Batch Convert
by taboma. / February 19, 2005 10:25 AM PST

iLikeMac, Again your are correct. And again you did not tell him how to proceed.
By the way, ilikemacs.com is a wonderful site to purchase software and hardware. I have bought from them before.
Their tech group and sales dept. are great! I recommend everyone to go to ilovemacs.com. Great site!
Did you know that ilikemacs is copy writed?
You may want to get a new handle (Name) otherwise you will be heading towards a problem: The Computer Cops and more! How about another name for yourself? And, do not use a heart symbol. That's there logo also.

Kevin

Collapse -
Converting pictures files on a Mac
by cwinrow / January 28, 2005 7:57 AM PST

The Shareware program GraphicConverter is one of the best available on the Mac and it has excellent picture manipulation features too. It's Batch mode will help if you have a lot of conversions to do. It's available in a number of languages as well as English.
The English version can be obtained from URL:-
www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm

I believe the shareware fee is $35 (or $30 without CD delivery).
all the best,
Colin

Collapse -
batch convert photos from jpeg to tif
by Gowtham / January 28, 2005 11:08 PM PST

Hi, I am assuming that the Mac machine you have has ImageMagick pacakge installed (otherwise, you can get it for free - it's one of those OpenSourceSoftware).

I have a script written and posted in my website, called eps2jpg. You may use this as a template to get your job done. It has enough comments so it should be easy to read and understand. Hope it helps!

http://www.sgowtham.net/downloads.php

Regards,
Gowtham

Collapse -
Batch Convert
by taboma. / February 19, 2005 9:49 AM PST

You do not need Free Ware. The solution is in Photoshop.
It's called ACTIONS. Open views/history. There is an Actions on that header. Click on it and it will open up many actions that you can use and record for batch processing hundreds of files that you want to convert while you go have a beer or watch your favorite TV show.
The actions are not hard to record.
All you have to do is record one new action. Name the file such as: Convert JPEG to TIFF and save the action.
When you want to convert a large file of JPEG files to TIFFS you can convert the folder using the ACTIONS that you set up, using BATCH COMMANDS.
We used to use this sort of RECORD ACTIONS years ago with a software program that sold for $298. Right now, it is in Adobe Photoshop 5, 6 & 7.
Go to about.com and get the link to Adobe Photoshop Actions. Follow the link and you will be amazed on in-sider tutorials and tricks!
I am pasting an article from that site for you that explains how to set up ACTIONS & BATCH.
Here it is:
To record an action, you'll need to use the actions palette. If the actions palette is not visible on your screen, open it by going to Window -> Show Actions.

Actions Palette

Notice the arrow at the top right of the actions palette. This arrow brings up the actions menu shown on the right.

Actions MenuClick the arrow to bring up the menu and choose New Set. An action set can contain several actions. If you've never created actions before, it's a good idea to save all your personal actions in a set. Give your new Action Set a name, then click OK.

Next, choose New Action from the menu. Give your action a descriptive name. After you click OK, you'll see the red dot on the actions palette to show you're recording.

Recording an Action

For this example I'm going to record an action to rotate an image. Go to edit and choose the rotate command, then go to the actions palette and hit the stop button (the black square).

Now you have an action!

To use the action in batch mode, you would go to File -> Automate -> Batch. You'll see the dialog box below:

Photoshop's Batch Command options

In the dialog box, simply select the set and the action you just created. For the source, choose the folder that contains the images you want to process. For the destination, choose another folder for Photoshop to output the rotated images. (You can choose "Save and Close" to have Photoshop save them in the source folder, but I don't advise it... it's too easy to make a mistake. It's much safer to use two folders and then delete the original files after you've made sure your batch processing was successful.) For errors you can either have the batch proccess stop, or create a log file of the errors. When you hit OK, you can just sit back and watch while Photoshop does all the work for you!

Once you have an action and you know how to use the batch command, you can use it anytime you have several photos you need to rotate. You could even do an another action to resize a folder of images.

Hope that helped you.

Kevin

Collapse -
"You don't need Freeware."
by Stinz7 / August 2, 2008 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Batch Convert

Polite disagreement and explanation: We DO need freeware. We want it, and will continue to hunt for it -- because it's FREE.

Many of the large, expensive programs are more than we want; as an artist, I use few tools -- to me the eraser function can act as a white paintbrush, or even, used correctly, an airbrush or flare.

Photoshop is just too much horse when all I need is a pony, and I'd rather spend my money on other things I do need. Freeware also allows us to pick and choose functions.

Happy

Collapse -
Batch convert JPEG photos to TIFF

Have you tried Dragoman (http://dragoman-mac.com/) to convert your JPEG images to TIFF?

It's a batch file converter that I use to convert my raw digital camera formats to JPEG and TIFF.

Collapse -
Why your first post to a 3 year old discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

Beware when we see this, it looks like you spammed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.