Cameras forum

General discussion

New Digital Camera Suggestions??!!!

by patbollin / November 2, 2005 10:45 AM PST

I have been looking for a new camera for 3 months now and have finally decided to get for the upcoming holiday season and the changing fall colors. I am an avid hiker and would love to take quality pictures of the beautiful scenery that I often encounter. I plan to do most of my photo's of outdoor objects, so image quality is a must. I would also like something fairly small that costs approximately $300. I would like to hear any suggestions that you may have. Thanks bunches!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Digital Camera Suggestions??!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Digital Camera Suggestions??!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your very best bet would be
by mrobzo / November 2, 2005 11:01 AM PST

The Panasonic DMC-FZ30. It is not an DSLR but if your hiking, I'm sure you don't want too much weight. You can get close to nature with the zoom lens and IS. It will shoot long without a tri or mono pod. It was voted Europes camera of the year.

Collapse -
Your very best bet would be
by patbollin / November 2, 2005 11:21 AM PST

Nice but too expensive. Anything cheaper? and smaller?

Collapse -
Well than you might try
by mrobzo / November 2, 2005 12:21 PM PST

The Panasonic DMC-FZ20!

Collapse -
Well than you might try
by patbollin / November 2, 2005 12:47 PM PST

I still think that the FZ20 is a little to expensive and big. I was thinking more along the lines on a Nikon 7900 or a Panasonic LZ series. How bout the Fuji F-10 or the Casio Z750

Collapse -
by IamIcan / November 2, 2005 6:57 PM PST

mmm... why not the Canon A520?
I have the A510 and I am very pleased with it..

Collapse -
Smaller Camera $300 or under
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 2, 2005 10:40 PM PST

The Nikon 7900 would be a good choice, but it may be a bit over $300.
The Nikon 5900 is the same camera with 5 megapixels and costs under $300.

The Panasonic LZ offers more zoom, but it does suffer from a long shutter lag time (0.8 second).
The Panasonic FX7 or FX8 has only 3X optical zoom but has half the shutter lag of the LZ models.

The Fujifilm F10 is getting good reports and it works better in low light situations than other small cameras.
Fujifilm just released the F11.
It is the same as the F10 but it has manual controls.

The Casio Z750 is a good choice and it does have manual controls. It also has a very good shutter lag rating (0.1 second).

Collapse -
Camera for Pat.
by Bellette / November 3, 2005 8:04 PM PST

Dear Pat,

The camera you need is the Kodak LS743, I've been in the photographic industry for fifteen years and this, also the predecessor which I had (LS420), is fantastic.

German lens, metal body, tiny, 35-105 lens, SD card, dock compatible, 4 MegaPixel and I think they sell for USD$249.95.

They do have a higher res model too.

Highly recommended.

Ross Bellette,
Christchurch, NZL.

Collapse -
by howkensea / November 3, 2005 8:14 PM PST

Kodak makes a large line of digital cameras. There IS one thing you will want to check on, whatever camera you get. We had an HP, and it took about 3 seconds from when you pressed the button until it actually took the picture. Now is you are standing around or the subject is still, it's not a problem. The Kodak takes less than 3/10 of a second! And I believe they have a 4 MP for around $200. You also might want to check out the Canon Sure Shots. Another nicety is if you can see the preview screen outdoors or not! If you take a picture outside in bright light, you can't see it in some cameras. Go to a store that has them and look at them. THEN go to the web and find your best price.

Collapse -
Nikon Coolpix 4800
by Ukexpat / November 3, 2005 9:52 PM PST

I bought this from Abe's of Maine after doing a fair bit opf research. In my case, it was the excellent zoom and the fact that I can get a SCUBA case for it.

Since using this camera I have ZERO reservations about it. The 4.8MP is enough. The zoom is excellent. The battery life outstanding (I used it on vacation in the UK for a week without recharging).

It has a built in Panorama feature which, with the included software to stitch the images, produces terrific results.

It turns out that the Macro feature is also excellent. I have taken shots of serial number labels I could not read due to their position and then used the LCD to blow up the image. They are in focus and very readable.

Collapse -
Digital Camera Recommendation
by IllustratedSermons / November 3, 2005 10:06 PM PST

The Olympus C-770 is worth a close look. You can get it on the web now for under $300. With a 10x optical zoom, 4 megapixels, a decent MPG4 video mode (with sound), this camera is (believe it or not) VERY compact for what it is offering. There are lots of manual controls available, but the auto mode works very well for the novice user. One of the more outstanding and little discussed features is a POWERFUL built-in flash. This camera has actually 2 built-in flashes in one, and the camera automatically chooses the best for wide angle or telephoto shooting. This yields amazing outdoor flash photos at night.

Biggest drawbacks: No built-in infra-red focus assist for low light focus, and no digital image stablizer. If these are a priority, take a close look at the Canon S1. You don't get the good flash, and drop to 3 megapixels, and the camera is more bulky. One additional drawback for the Olympus is it uses propriotory batteries instead of AA cells. Olympus batteries are about $50, so I bought additional (new) batteries from e-bay. Two good batteries (I would avoid the cheap, under $1 offerings - I read the negative feedback!) including shipping were about $25. Another drawback is you will definitely want to pick up more camera memory. It only comes with a tiny 16meg xd card.

For a well-done review of the Olympus C-770, go to

Happy shopping!

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by Chas666 / November 3, 2005 10:57 PM PST

In my opinion, Olympus makes the best digital camera because they produce excellent quality images as reported by numerous ratings listed in PC World magazine. Very few of the other cameras get this rating for image quality. This reportedly because the company that is now Olympus used to produce lenses for Air Force and sattelite surveillance cameras and hence have the best technology.

Never mind about the megapixels unless you want to make 16 x 20 inch prints. Three to four megapixels is sufficient because if the lens can't produce a good crisp image, no amount of megapixels is going to improve your photos. Besides you're not going to make prints larger than 8 x 10 anyway.

Collapse -
Digital Cameras, correction
by Chas666 / November 3, 2005 11:03 PM PST

The rating for Olympus camera images is usually Outstanding rather than Excellent.

Collapse -
Another best bet.
by stickmann100 / November 3, 2005 11:13 PM PST

I had a c
Canon PowerShot A50 for years and years, so I wanted to replace it with a Canon, of course. Problem is Canon is too expensive. I found, after much surfing and brain picking, the Kodak EasyShare P850. It has 12X optical zoom, 5.1 mega pixels and IS. It has all the bells and whistles and it's small. Lowest price on web $390.00. It's $90.00 above what you said, but believe me, it's well worth the extra bucks. Good Luck

Collapse -
try this great deal...
by bcrawford / November 3, 2005 11:54 PM PST

hey Pat,

How about a 5.2 megapixel with 7 shooting modes , a lithium rechargeable battery , incamera red eye removal, adaptive lighting, two inch lcd screen 3x optical X 8x digital zoom. It comes with included software for storing and editing you photos..FREE..This camera is great for outdoors...and it comes with a portable photo printer attached. The printer prints 4x6 photos for about 24cents/ photo and 4x12 for about 60 cents/photo....all for under $300.
If this sounds good then try out the HP PHOTOSMART 425, or the PHOTOSMART 428. they are both brand new products.

You could try the HP R817 camera that gives you over 12 shooting modes a 40X zoom all the other great features as the camera above ( without the printer) and the ability to take great panaromic shots which the camera actually shows you how to line up for the next shot so that you would not miss any of the scenery and the included software automatically joins together for you....for only $299. it is also light and designed for more thing there is the optional underwater case that makes the camera waterproof for over 50 feet....WOW underwater pictures.
I think you should consider these two products.

Collapse -
One of the best/avanced point and shoot cameras...
by Hugeinc / November 4, 2005 3:02 AM PST

After reading a lot of reviews on the web and in the magazines, I've realized that Fujifilm Finepix E550 is one of the best point and shoot cameras. My uncle just got one, and he likes it better than his TOSHIBA 5300.

He found the best deal on this website...

Collapse -
MPSuperstore Caution
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 4, 2005 7:00 AM PST
Collapse -
New Digital Camera Suggestions!
by tah4848 / November 4, 2005 3:23 AM PST

I have recently been down this track. In addition, I am fortunate enough to know 2 professional photographers. I looked @ a) Canon XT Rebel b) Nikon D70s & c) Canon 20D.

I am an amateur. However, who is looking for terrible shots?

I held a) & b) - b) won by the proverbial mile! c) is a very good quality camera BUT I do not need it.

I have owned my Nikon D70s for about 1 month - GREAT CHOICE!

Allow $$$ for lenses but in the interim the D70s comes with quite a good lens ie 18-70mm. It has a magnification factor of 1.5 (Canon 1.6). Therefore, for digital photography, a 18-70mm lens is equivalent to a 27-105mm lens.

Collapse -
by patbollin / November 4, 2005 10:18 AM PST

Thanks for all of the input everybody, but I am afraid that you have made my decision only harder. I want something that is compact and around $300. I have looked at the others but some are too big or way to expensive! ($800)!! Im not taking pictures for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue (however, I would spend alot of money if I could)

Collapse -
Compact is what you get...
by IllustratedSermons / November 7, 2005 7:31 PM PST the Olympus C-770. Go to a store and check it out. It's point and shoot size, PLUS has the 10x optical zoom lens - great for nature photography macro to birds. I'm telling you, this camera will not disappoint, and you can get it online within your price range.

Collapse -
Good, small and under 300 ?
by Papa Echo / November 4, 2005 10:46 AM PST

What do you mean by ''quality pictures'' ? How large an enlargement do you want ? Do you want your pictures printed and hung up in photo frames ? If you limit your budget at $300.00, your choices are limited. Any of the $300.00 and below models mentioned or suggested will be appopiate for you. What come out of the camera depends on the person behind the lens. It take some time to get used to a camera, and shortcomings can usually be overcome by different adjustments and photo editing progams ( even with XP's MS Photo editor )

Collapse -
Your not interested
by mrobzo / November 4, 2005 12:10 PM PST

in getting a camera. After all the post there would have been something that you liked. Your just baiting!

Collapse -
CX 6330
by JLT85 / November 5, 2005 9:19 AM PST

I read your message concerning buying a new digital camera and I know that you said that you were wanting suggestions on what TO buy but I just thought that I would say one thing. I bought a Kodak CX 6330 with the Easy Share printer dock and I really like the idea of being able to print my own pictures right at home and I've actually been pretty satisfied with the camera. The one complaint that I do have is that when I bought the camera, probabaly about a year and a half ago, I paid about $450 for the dock and the camera and the camera is only a 3.2 megapixels which I thought would be plenty for what I was taking pictures of. However, now days you can spend $300 and get close to 5.0 megapixels which is what I really recommend doing!! As I said I am still happy with the 6330 but I just wish that I would have gotten more megapixels and more digital zoom. If you are taking close ups only (within about 100 yards) its a great investment I just feel that you can get more bang for you buck now days. Camera prices have dropped ALOT since I bought mine.
Hope that will help you out a little bit!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.