Computer Help forum

General discussion

New custom build, display problems!

by KiddKaos7 / November 30, 2012 9:10 AM PST

So I just put together my first custom build and was happy until the display never showed up. I tried VGA, DVI and HDMI and nothing worked. The system boots up, the fans spin, the HD makes its usual sounds, the disc drive works, the fan on the video card is going, the motherboard lights are on...Everything seems fines but I get no display. I've tried pretty much everything!

All parts are new!

Here is my build:
IN WIN fanqua Black SECC Steel (0.6mm ) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ECS A990FXM-A V1.0 AMD AM3+ 990FX 4x DDR3 6x SATA DUAL LAN DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD

AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core

MSI AMD Radeon HD 6770 R6770-MD1GD5 1GB GDDR5, DX11 PCI Express 2.1

850W Gaming 120MM Fan Silent ATX Power Supply SATA 12V

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IF YOU CAN!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New custom build, display problems!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New custom build, display problems!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Safe Mode
by wpgwpg / November 30, 2012 9:43 AM PST

As soon as you power on, press the F8 key about once a second and see if you can get to the Advanced Boot Menu. If you can, boot to Safe mode. Check Device Manager to see if your display driver is installed. If you haven't installed it, you need to.
Another thing to do is to read your user guide and find out what key you press to get into the BIOS setup. It's F2 on my laptop buy YMMV. If you can do that, you may need to disable any integrated graphics on the mobo to keep from conflicting with your discrete video card.
If neither of the above works, try removing your video card and then boot. If there's a conflict between it and the integrated graphics, that should at least get you something on your monitor.
When you boot from your install disc, do you get a display? If so, your video hardware is working at least in 640 x 480 VGA mode.

Good luck.

Collapse -
No display
by KiddKaos7 / November 30, 2012 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Try Safe Mode

Thank you for your suggestions, but the problem is, that I can't see ANYTHING on my screen. I just get the blank blue screen and "No Signal". I don't have an integrated graphics card.

Collapse -
Using the analog or digital connector to the monitor ?
by VAPCMD / November 30, 2012 9:53 AM PST

And you're running power directly to the video card ?

And you're sure the monitor works ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by KiddKaos7 / November 30, 2012 12:22 PM PST

Yes I am running power into the video card. I use my TV as a monitor and yes it works because I also use it with my laptop, PS3 and Xbox 360 (All through HDMI)

Collapse -
Do you have another GPU to try ? Did you try/test the
by VAPCMD / December 1, 2012 8:29 AM PST

system outside the case ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.