PC Hardware

Question

New CPU problem !

by yvesandlow / January 18, 2013 11:12 AM PST

Hi , i recently upgraded my HP 6710f for games. I put in a SSD, EVGA 560ti, 650watt PSU. The setup ran great for a couple of days. The stock processor was an Athlon II x 4. I had a deal on a Phenom II x 6 1045T so i grabbed it since it s the quickest CPU i can put on my mobo.

Here is the link to the Mobo specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&cc=ca&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5049513&tmp_track_link=ot_search

When i installed the new CPU, on the first boot it freezed on the windows pasword screen. On second boot, i went as far as the loading of starcraft 2. After searching on forums, i went in the power management options in the control panel and put my CPU usage always at 100% even on 0%load. Since then it only freeze once every hour.(on a 3 week testing) When it freeze , only the mouse moves but the video is still. If i m in a game, the music will be stuck in an infinite loop of half a second but the mouse always work. Everytime it freeze, if a wait for about 40 seconds, it always unfreeze like nothing happenned, no error messages. I mean it NEVER really stopped working , and always the same amount of time of stopage. It does it at random times, eavy load in a game don t matter.

-i updated my bios and drivers
-My cpu meet the 95watt max of mobo specs
-Temperature of CPU and GPU normal.
-Enough power (650watt psu)

Don t know what to do . AMD Support is long to answer....

Thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New CPU problem !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New CPU problem !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you have a discrete video card?
by wpgwpg / January 18, 2013 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: New CPU problem !

If you have a discrete graphics card, did you disable the onboard one via the BIOS? Have you looked at the system event log? To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
OEM based
by Willy / January 19, 2013 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: New CPU problem !

OEM based PCs just don't do well when they're pushed even with the right parts. Which is why many aren't user friendly and generally lack user inputted config changes. A more user friendly mtrbd. would provide a wider latitude to make subtle changes or tweaks. Since, everything seems to appear right, then I suspect some minor area is being overlooked or can't be changed to accommodate the new cpu. Plus, any new changes any gaming may need or reset to acknowledge the new cpu. Some games don't or they too need to be updated or "patched" so they can sync to the specs provided. You may have a catch-22 situation that you need to do this or that but really it may not allow it or not a great a change as required. The SSD may come into play if it used to cache anything, as it needs to r/w or flush it out on a constant basis. You should check if any tweaks on it are possible or further suitable s/w the maker provides. If you brought a bargain SSD, they don't handle constant I/Os demands as well. Google for the TRIM command set. Sorry, I can't provide a more direct answer. What the other poster suggested makes sense, review the "event log". You may want to recheck you PC "windoze experience index" rating, run it and find the weak link. The low scorer is a good area to check or improve upon.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I checked the event log.
by yvesandlow / January 19, 2013 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: OEM based

Thanks for your answers, i looked the event log, in Error and there is two types of error where the date and time matches the freezes. Here there are:

1:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 2013-01-19 13:21:43
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Yves-PC
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-19T18:21:43.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1187</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Yves-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Second one:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 2013-01-19 13:19:54
Event ID: 7006
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Yves-PC
Description:
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
Access is denied.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7006</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-19T18:19:54.181215400Z" />
<EventRecordID>6760</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="916" ThreadID="2244" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Yves-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">ScRegSetValueExW</Data>
<Data Name="param2">FailureActions</Data>
<Data Name="param3">%%5</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Maybe i should just buy a new motherboard .........at this point maybe just buy a beter cpu and mobo i m tired of spending small money and still have problems.

By the way my SSD is an Intel 330 120 gb . All the parts i bought would fit as part of a beter gaming rig so i will probably get an i 5 cpu and new mobo. Just lost an 100$ phenom cpu.....

Collapse -
Keep in mind that Windows doesn't handle hardware changes
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 4:48 AM PST

It does some but for this round you'll want a fresh install to see if it's some Windows OS issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.