Computer Help forum

Question

New computer won't boot from SSD, Won't restart on its own

by Aquadingo / December 21, 2012 12:26 AM PST

Hey there.

My boyfriend just built a new computer from scratch and we have a Samsung 840 series SSD and an ASUS motherboard (along with many other things but I think for the purposes of this forum those two things are the important pieces of hardware) and have successfully loaded Windows 7 as the OS onto the SSD.

Now here's my issue: whenever we are prompted to reboot the computer it will start to shut down like it should to restart but after a couple of seconds it never reboots, it just shuts all the way down and we have to manually turn the computer back on. In addition to that, every time the computer is started up it says "no hard disk is detected" and to boot the OS we have to go into BIOS and select the SSD to boot from manually. We also receive an error along the lines of "overclocking failed" although to this point in time we have not attempted to overclock anything.

Everything is connected and inserted properly according to the installation manuals that came with the equipment as far as we know.

Any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New computer won't boot from SSD, Won't restart on its own
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New computer won't boot from SSD, Won't restart on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why the prompt and what is it?
by mchainmchain / December 21, 2012 1:34 AM PST

Prompt to restart is what and what does it say? Why does it ask to restart?

Make and model of ASUS motherboard would help here, as well as BIOS version.

Are BIOS settings all default? CMOS battery working and in good condition? ACHI mode for SSD selected?

Power Supply (PSU) rating? Strong enough for your system and also single-rail output? Make and model of that too would help.

Using a new computer case or old?

Collapse -
No Prompt for restart
by Aquadingo / December 21, 2012 4:22 AM PST

The ASUS Motherboard is the P8P67 pro series and the BIOS Version is ASUS EFI BIOS Utility and there are two modes, EZ Mode and Advanced. I have changed the settings in BIOS on both Advanced and EZ Mode to apply the SSD as the Boot option #1 but all other settings are default for now.

The Power Supply is 750W and is a Fatality Gaming Gear Champ1on series. The case is new--it is a cooler master 932 HAF. I am assuming the power supply is capable enough because it will run wonderfully and stay on when started.

My SSD is a Samsung 840 series.

When the boot fails the main error message is "Overclocking failed! Please enter set up to re-configure your system. Press F1 to run SETUP". Previous to that it does say it recognized my Samsung SSD in SATA Port4 and then proceeds to say it also recognized my hard drive and optical drive in SATA Port2&3 respectively.

Now for the restart, the computer while installing the OS required 3 automatic restarts or something to apply the changes being made. The computer would then shut down part way as any normal computer would for a restart but instead of booting back up from it's brief "idle" mode, I guess it would be, it would then just shut down. It has done that every time the computer has required a shut down and will do it when I ask it to shut down through windows as well.

I don't know if I mentioned it before but the OS that we installed onto the SSD was Windows 7 64bit

I also have an Intel i7 processor and an AMD Radeon HD 7870 graphics card if that makes a difference.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
SSD can be trouble on some systems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:25 AM PST

Be sure the maker tells you the system can boot and run from SSD. I think you built it so this question is for the motherboard maker.

I can't tell if you built PCs before. It's not funny to read a post where the builder thinks the heat sink compound is optional or they picked a power supply at exactly the right size.
Bob

Collapse -
Talked to the Motherboard Maker
by Aquadingo / December 21, 2012 4:37 AM PST

I have called ASUS and from what the guy said it wasn't so much that the motherboard couldn't handle the SSD but something else. He then proceeded to try and get me to pay 150 bucks for the answers so I passed.

I have not built computers before but my boyfriend has and he was the one doing all the assembly. I am just the troubleshooter now apparently. I know the heat sink compound is required and yes, we do have it and I am fairly certain the power supply is plenty adequate at 750W but who knows.

Collapse -
Answer
What Asus mtrbd.?
by Willy / December 21, 2012 2:25 AM PST

It appears you may have a mtrbd. issue. Thus providing all details, matters. So model# is the mtrbd. so I can look-up the specs, etc..

You state some OC is mentioned but you didn't do that. You have to select the SSD in order to boot, so basically its referring back to some mtrbd. issue, and what that is still undetermined. I suggest you look for safe(default) setting or similar wording in bios area, other than "optimum" and save upon exit. Also, review again all bios settings to see if something actually changes when the problem arises. You may want to checking for "found errors" in bios and stop on them except maybe kybd., your SSD maybe too fast for the mtrbd. to respond as a possible cause. Does your SSD have any setting. Again, provide "full details" on all items, maybe you have a bad mix of items or setting, expected isn't meant.

tada ----Willy Happy

Collapse -
ASUS P8P67 Pro Series Motherboard
by Aquadingo / December 21, 2012 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: What Asus mtrbd.?

The Motherboard is an ASUS P8P67. I have a Samsung 120GB 840 series SSD, and an Intel Core i7 processor.

We uploaded Windows 7 OS onto the SSD and it is currently selected as Boot Option #1 in BIOS. I am running on ASUS's EFI BIOS Utility version 1502 and have selected the SSD under both their EZ mode and advanced mode as the boot Priority and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be working. There is no ability to select s "Safe mode" in this BIOS as far as I can tell.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.