Computer Newbies

General discussion

New Computer: How to transfer Outlook pst files?

by timwalker69 / August 4, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

I recently upgraded to a new computer and installed Outlook 2010. I have Outlook 2007 on old computer. I made an outlook backup of old and want to restore it on this computer but get this message File access denied. You don't have permission required to access this file.

At a loss how to get old files over if this doesn't work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Computer: How to transfer Outlook pst files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Computer: How to transfer Outlook pst files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It Shouldn't Be Difficult..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 9:21 AM PDT

First, copy the old .pst file to any location you wish. Many choose to place it in the default location with a new name such as "Outlookold.pst". The default location on an XP machine is "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. It can also be placed in the "My Documents" folder for easy copying at a later date.

Once it's there, follow the instructions in the link below to "Take Ownership" of the file. As before, since you didn't mention the operating system you're using, I'll give the link to XP instructions.:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Once that's done, if the file is set to include all the email and contact information in your normal folders, open Outlook (I'm using Outlook 2007 here so it may be slightly different on your 2010 version), then click on "File" in the upper right, choose "Import or Export", select "Import from another program or file", then choose "Personal Folder (.pst), then follow the prompts to let it overwrite and install to the normal folders you choose..

On the other hand, if you're simply going to add the ".pst" file as a separate "Personal Folder" item in the left hand display, simply click on "File" in the upper right, select "Open", then select "Outlook data file", then navigate to the file and open it.. The folder will show up in the left hand display under "Mail".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Outllok
by timwalker69 / August 4, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

Newq comp is Win 7 64 bit Home

Collapse -
Same Suggestion, Slightly Different Location
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Outllok

The location for the .pst file in Windows 7 is at C:\Users\Yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

You'll need to change the "View" in "Control Panel/Folder Options" so all files and protected files are shown.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
new location for Office PST file
by time_out / August 15, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

That is the location for Office 2007's pst file not Office 2010. They made it easier to find(thank goodness) and no need to reveal hidden folders for this reason. Just look in the User's documents folder.

Collapse -
Office 2010
by time_out / August 15, 2010 1:42 AM PDT

I think the default location of the Office 2010 pst file location is in your documents folder. This is something new for this product.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.