Smart Home & Appliances forum

General discussion

New to get stuff from old computer to new one

by jennylind / July 27, 2005 1:11 PM PDT

I have purchased a Sony Vaio with Windows XP Media OS and want to move email addresses, documents, and pictures, etc from the old computer (Win XP Professional) to the new one. I tried PC Relocator, but the old computer has the main user as Administrator while tne new one has that user as OWNER. Neither version of Windows will allow me to change the name of the main user. PC Relocator just made a new user on the new computer and I want it all together.

Because of other issues, the new computer is now back to the way it was with no updates or stuff from the old computer installed, so...any ideas on how to make both computers identify the Administrator as Administrator or...should I copy information from the old computer onto CDs and install it that way? If that is the there a place I can learn how to copy everything I want to transfer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New to get stuff from old computer to new one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New to get stuff from old computer to new one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Jennylind...

If you can isolate the files you need to copy and you have already created like files on the new machine..a file sync program would be best. Acronis' MigrateEasy 7.0 is a good program as is their backup program. Paragon also has a comprehensive backup suite. Can you give us more info on what the old machine is? How did you try to copy to the new machine. Might you consider installing the older system's hard drive int the new computer? I'm sure there will be others with suggestions as well. I will track this thread until it is resolved.

and life goes on...

Collapse -
Thought I put it all in the first post...was in hurry,..
by jennylind / July 28, 2005 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Jennylind...

The Old Computer is a Gateway Profile 4 with Windows XP Pro on it...about 3 yrs old.

As noted in my first post, I tried to use PC Relocator to move the information from the old to the new computer, but the two couldn't communicate properly.

The old computer already has a new soon as I get my information off of it, so using the old hard drive isn't possible.

Thanks, Jack, for your input!

Collapse -
Stuff moves. Programs need to be installed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

In 1995, a new version of Windows appeared that added features that make moving programs an unsure proposal. Your files can move. Read but programs are 'programmed' not to move from machine to machine and you may be trying to change the rules.

Collapse -
Aww come on Bob...
by jackintucson / July 28, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

You know rules are meant to be changed don't ya? Next time remind me to put the word DATA in front of 'files'.

and life goes on...

Collapse -
No sign this will improve.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2005 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Aww come on Bob...

Microsoft began this programs don't move issue in 1995 and with XP, and now the newer 2003 versions of Office some will not move from machine to machine at all no matter what tool you use.

It's part of the reason I often pass up on the cantankerous Microsoft Office and stick to using Open Office.

Collapse -
Files vs. Programs
by jennylind / July 28, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

As I said in the original post, I ''want to move email addresses, documents, and pictures, etc from the old computer (Win XP Professional) to the new one.'' Aren't those items files? Did I mention programs? However, I've been changing rules all my life; why stop now?

Thanks for your help, Bob.

Collapse -
Just my simple rule.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2005 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Files vs. Programs

I don't duplicate web content when I put the web link in my post.

-> It appears you didn't review what FAST does in the article. There is a big omission in Microsoft's FAST so I will write more about it.

FAST will not move email if it's in something other than a Microsoft email client. And even then it won't move that old workgroup exchange email from pre-1995. For stuff like that, we get to help it along.

I understand you'd like this to have the big EASY button, but FAST is really nice compared to pre-XP days.

Collapse -
by jennylind / July 28, 2005 2:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Just my simple rule.

Got ready to copy some files to a CD. The drop-down menu only shows the floppy disk so I clicked on 'other' and browsed to my ROM. When I tried to copy the files I got the message that the disk was corrupted. Its a brand new CD-R. Why did I get this message? Am I doing something wrong or not doing something I should do?

Collapse -
Most Windows don't record to CDRs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: FAST

We end up using software (free!) like CDBURNERXP (works on Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003) to get files onto the CDR media.

Look for CDBURNERXP on

Collapse -
WIndows Networking...

It sounds like both machines have a network card. I'm guessing you are able to have them up and running on the same network since you described the problem with unequal default user names.

You can setup both machines to share files. At this point however, you really only concern yourself with sharing the files on the old computer for the new one to see them over the network.

Both computers must be in the same workgroup. Go to system properties under the computer name tab. You can get there by right clicking my computer and selecting properties.

The old computer must be sharing the files you want to copy. To simplify I would just share the entire C: drive.

You can also eliminate the user access problem by setting up administrative accounts on both machines with the same login. Use these on both machines when transferring data.

Once the data is xferred over you would then need to massage it in whatever way is necessary to make it useful. In the case of data for programs you'll need to point your programs to the data or move the data to the default folder for that program. For email you may need to import your info.

Pictures and documents are the easy files.

The programs mentioned could be useful, but I've always just done it the old fashion way mentioned here... using networking. It's served me well and may be worth the effort to figure out. Or, you could spend the time figuring out some program to do it for you. Happy

Happy networking.

MOrgan Harman
The Tech Source
Home Theaters and more... in Southern California

Collapse -
Whew!!! Carol, I bet

you didn't expect to get this kind of response. If you want to get the data off so you can send your old computer to a new this. Create a folder OldCDrive. Go to the old drive and select its character and drag-and-drop it into the new directory. This should copy almost everything from the old drive to the new directory. Now you will be able to reformat the old drive (if you want) in preparation for the new home. Now you have time to learn more about where things are (we can help with most of that) and 'copy/merge/append' them to the current environment as appropriate. Next (cover your ears Bob Wink ) I would invest in an external USB2 hard drive so you can perform backups. You can find one for less than $100.

Doing the above does a few things for you. You release your old computer to its new home. You have saved all your data for later re-org. And you learned alot about what your file system can/can't do. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.