Computer Newbies

Resolved Question

new computer for treasurer job

by anotherpam / November 5, 2012 12:00 AM PST

I need to buy a new computer for a treasurer's job with a non-profit company. I am comfortable with pc's and would like suggestions for a reliable computer for my needs. I think I'll need Microsoft professional Word, or whatever it's called. Any ideas for me? I have a Gateway now, but it's old. The computer used before in this job was an Apple, but I haven't used one in years, so maybe that isn't the best choice for me. Thanks.

anotherpam has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new computer for treasurer job
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new computer for treasurer job
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by anotherpam

Collapse -
Check Which Programs Are Needed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 1:44 AM PST

If you worked with the company before and an Apple/Mac was required, then you may need to use one again.. In regards to "treasurers" duties, almost any computer will work to perform accounting work.. Usually, standard processor speed and memory is all that will be required.. But the program being used IS important.. I'm sure the company should have some advice as to which operating system you'll need, whether it requires a laptop or desktop, the current program being used to keep track of the numbers, and other such information.

Once you have the specifics, you should be able to purchase the model of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
any computer is fine
by anotherpam / November 5, 2012 4:32 AM PST

Thanks for your response. I was told any type of computer is fine for this job. I have to retype all of the info because the old computer they used was never updated and cannot be transferred to any new computer. It's over 20 years old. She used Claris and Quicken. I was told to buy any type of computer I wanted, within reason of course, because I have to start over anyway. I am across country from the group and the old computer, so everything is being printed out and sent to me. It's a lot of work, but has to be done. Anyway...I was wondering if there is a brand of computer that is better for this type of work? Is it hard to figure out an Apple if I went that route? Is there a brand of pc that is reliable? Most or maybe all of the people in this group I will be working for are not very computer literate, and I'm not either. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Quicken Is Available For Either Mac Or Windows, But..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: any computer is fine

...the old Claris group of programs for Mac is fairly defunct.. You might read about the basic changes to the program in the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claris

But as stated earlier, most any computer will work.. In addition, you haven't really told us whether it will be a desktop or laptop.. Do you need to take it back and forth from the office location? If so, then a laptop might fit the bill.. If it's going to be stationary, then a desktop is in order..

Either way, you'll get a lot of different brand preferences from various members. Everyone has a different opinion. Some will say the best way to go is get a custom-made model from a local shop. The quality parts will usually help the computer last longer, but it will probably be more expensive. Then others prefer to purchase a standard model available at local retail outlets. I've used HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, Lenovo/IBM, Toshiba, and a few others. Because I generally get business model machines, I can't say I've had horrible experiences with any of them.. Others have. And although I've tinkered a little, I'm not a Mac user..

So, at this point, you'll still need to determine whether it's going to be a Mac or Windows PC.. Once that's done, check out the local advertisements and find the best one for the money you're willing to spend.. But remember, since you're not going to be needing a high performance computer for "gaming" or graphics rendering, you can get a away with something on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by anotherpam / November 6, 2012 4:51 AM PST

Thank you, Grif. I need a laptop, so will check local shops, what there is of them. I am probably overthinking this and making more of a big deal out of it than I need to. And thanks for the link about Claris. I'll read it, but probably just go with a pc as that is what I'm used to. Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.