Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

New computer, dialup slower than on a 1993 aptiva, WHY???

by slimjim440 / September 26, 2009 7:24 AM PDT

gATEWAY DESKTOP DX4200, QUAD CORE, VISTA PREMIUM, 4GB, AGERE PCI-SV92PP SOFT MODEM. mY 1993 IBM APTIVA E3U RUNS THE SAME PHONE LINE DIALUP FASTER THAN THIS NEW SYSTEM.
wHO IS THE CULPRIT.
tHANKS.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New computer, dialup slower than on a 1993 aptiva, WHY???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New computer, dialup slower than on a 1993 aptiva, WHY???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dial-up slower
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

Try another modem. Nothing wrong, sofar.

How fast is the old one? How fast the new one?

Kees

Collapse -
reply new gateway dialup sloer than 1993 aptiva
by slimjim440 / September 26, 2009 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dial-up slower

Tha ibm aptiva had a 350 mhz amd g6x2 processor with 384kb memory.
The gateway is 1.8ghz with 4gb memory.
The aotiva is running windows 98se.The gateway has vista premium 64 bit.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Machine speeds/power . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 26, 2009 8:38 AM PDT

have no effect on dial-up connections. Give us some examples of the speeds you used to get and what you get now. What does the icon in the system tray say. What speed tests have you done and at what site.

Collapse -
modem spped for old aptiva and new gateway
by slimjim440 / September 26, 2009 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: dial-up slower

I am on the aptiva nowe. Netzero says it connectred at 42,666kbs
The new gateway said it connected at 28,666kbs.
I selected 67k on gateway modem settings as netzero suggested.
By the way. when my gateway came back from texas service center, there was a note on it that said: Yopur modem will run at 16.8kbs. No problem found.
I just expected a processor 5 times as fast, and I would be eliminating that slow aptiva dialup response.
There is no dsl offered by netzero in this area code.
Thanks.

Collapse -
As I said before ...
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2009 11:08 PM PDT

try another modem than the built-in one. Might make a difference.

42.6 isn't slow. It's FAST. 28.6 is average.

Kees

Collapse -
slow dial up speeds
by cybergod09 / March 12, 2010 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: As I said before ...

ok people you are all thinking about as practical as einstein trying to do basic math, there is nothing wrong with the computer or the modem, naturaly a new computer is going to have the fastest modem and the computer itself is going to be in top shape for running the apps, and who said to try a new modem? are ya kidding if the modem was broken it would not be running slow, i just would not be running. the problem is the OS and software, the OS is optimized for broadband not dialup which is going to somewhat effect the speed but mainly you have multipul apps on the machine running in the background all web based, all ment to update online as most new computers do. and all of them are trying to update trough a dialup connection.... not going to happen!! you have to set them no to update everytime you connect to the internet espeshaly your antivirus, if you try to surf the web while all the background programs are updating over a mear dialup connection of course it is going to be very slow, or you other option is to breakdown and just get broadband like the rest of the world..

Collapse -
Dial up
by seenodeer65 / August 27, 2010 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: slow dial up speeds

LOL your funny. I have dial up and as far as Verizon upgrading my country side statuss goes, I will always have nothing but dial up.
I hate it. In town were I work and use the computer just makes me feel uhh I can't think of a word to use that is legal lol. But dang what a differents it is.
So if any one has an idea how I can speed up a dial up service any way they can, let me know paaaalease. Wink

Collapse -
No
by zxxxt / September 21, 2010 4:52 PM PDT

Faster processor doesn't mean faster dial up response. The only ones that will be faster is your browser but not the actual connection or the speed of downloads.

There must be something in your computer that you need to adjust. I don't have dial up for so long now that I forgot how to tweak it.

Collapse -
Heres a little tip to speed up your computer.
by nhrawayne / October 15, 2010 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: No

first of all if i remember right you never get the same speed you got last time you connected so one computer may be connected at 46kbs while the other is at 20kbs. try to find the alternate Phone number that hardly anyone will know about. when i used to have dialup i located an alternate number to the same provider and i guess noone was ever on it cause i would get in at 50 plus kbs every time. Its still slow but better than 20kbs. its probably just quidience that your old ibm is on a faster connection when the bandwith was more avalible. it all depends on the time of day when you tell your computer to connect and then you get locked in that bandwith rate.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.